PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018 Draft/Positional Needs for Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. If we keep Lewis and the others in the backfield and hold on to Amendola.. I’ll be cool with it but will still come here and doom cry and nay say.. basically behave badly for a while

Amendola has caught 43 of 55 targets (78%) and dropped 4 (7%). He's also made a 1st down on over 65% of his receptions.

There's a score of other WRs, RBs and TEs around the league who've been targeted 50-60 times at roughly the same ypc who also have four drops. None of them are even close to Amendola's catch-rate and first-down production.
However none of them have brady at qb.

Amendola will be 32, but his performance this season has still been top-notch - way more than what would be required from a #4 WR. My guess is that, if he wants to continue playing another year for $1.7M-$2.0M, the Pats will likely re-sign him.

With Burkhead, it depends on what you mean by "long term" and on how "real" the last year or two of a 3 or 4-year deal might be.

With Solder, a lot has been written about his personal/family situation (his son's cancer). While I'm among the least likely to give credence to media reports, this one seems worth serious consideration and raises the possibility that Solder retires after the end of this season.
I don’t think anyone had REPORTED that Solder is considering retirement due to his son’s health.
I think they have reported about the health issue and SPECULATED about how it may affect his career decisions.
I see that as a stark difference.

With Dana Farber and Children's Hospital being the top pediatric care facilities for kids in the world right here I'm not sure it would be wise to leave the area over a couple of bucks.

I think the Pats would really need to pork him for Nate to leave the team.

I was speculating that Solder might retire from football to spend more time with his family, regardless of any contract offers.

Not sure what you thought I meant.

I was speculating that Solder might retire from football to spend more time with his family, regardless of any contract offers.

Not sure what you thought I meant.
I missed your point. Moving on

I want to see BB draft at least a QB and an edge rusher in 2018. By the time the Pats' pick comes up, I expect the "big three" QB's (Rosen, Jackson and Darnold) to be gone. Of those left, I like Josh Allen (who threw to Jacob Hollister at Wyoming), Luke Falk (from Drew Bledsoe's alma mater,Washington State) and Clayton Thorson (an overachiever from Northwestern who looks like he might flourish in a system

Sorry, having troubles with my laptop. I was just saying Thorson might flourish in a system like the Patriots. Also, there seems to be a lot of good edge defenders in the 2018 draft.

$13.7M is a good number to use before the new season starts. As you say, this is the current number, before cuts.This number should allow for lots of extensions, perhaps for all they can reasonably accomplish.

What is left plus about $10M is available, as you say. This would allow enough to sign an early free agent or two, if a reasonable value is even available.

The problem with the tag 'n' trade scenario for Butler is that the 2018 FT for CBs should be around $14.5M, and the best estimate from Miguel is that the Pats will start the new league year with only about $13.7M. While they can likely free up another ~$10M fairly quickly thru cuts and re-structures, that still severely restricts their maneuvering room for offering extensions and for signing in-house and external free agents.

QB project and defensive front 7 are the priorities imo.

QB project and defensive front 7 are the priorities imo.

THESE TWELVE MIGHT BE A START

Yes, I suggest that we bring in rookies and sophomores with a chance to compete like
Wise
Butler
Rivers
Langi
Kidder
Davis

We also might bring in a top linebacker like Hightower.

We also might bring back veterans who didn't have great 2017 seasons, but who could help; perhaps players like McClellan and Valentine. We might even re-sign untested players like Francois, Reilly and even Flowers.

EDIT: Add Eric Lee!

Last edited:
My Predictions
1. Nate Solder - Released. We have our backup tackles performing admirably so far and Solder isn't the LT he once was.

2. Malcolm Butler - Released. He hasn't brought the same level of play from the past and he is going to be 28. Doesn't seem like having a 28 year old corner on a long-term deal would be the best move - especially when we have contributors playing on a similar level lower on the depth chart.

3. Burkhead - Signed to another 1 year.

4. Bademosi - 2 year deal. He played really well and he's gonna be cheap enough for the team to resign.

5. Slater - Released.

6. Fleming - Signed if possible but a weak OT class could jack up the salary.

7. Amendola - Released.

8. Lewis - Signed to a 2 year deal.

9. Waddle - Signed to a long-term deal.

In the draft, I see us picking up a DE in the 1st round and then a CB and OT in 2nd round. Then I see a RB, S, and WR being picked up.

How can you release players who are free agents????????

Burkhead should be signed to a longer deal than just one year. So should Lewis. They've both earned them..

Who are the "contributors" playing on a similar level to Butler?? If you say Bademosi and Jones, you just don't know wtf you are talking about.

I would not be surprised if the Patriots locked up Cooks with a long term deal. Right now he counts over $8M. A long term deal would reduce that number significantly. They can also change some of Brady's , Gronkowski's and McCourty's salary to Signing bonus to free up money..

As others have pointed out, you have the following who would be ZERO or Minimal hit if cut:
Bennett ($6.4M), Allen ($5M), Branch ($3.7M)

You also have the following who could be cut to free up money:
Gillislee (2.4M), McClellin($2.35M), Harris $(2.25M)

BTW, Ted Karras would be an ERFA, so he's essentially going to be here.

There is plenty of money to work with. It's just a matter of how the Patriots decide to work with it.

Clayton Thorson (an overachiever from Northwestern who looks like he might flourish in a system

Whenever I see someone say a QB "might flourish in a system" it makes me scratch my head and ask just how much that person ACTUALLY knows about Football.

ALL teams have systems. ALL OF THEM. The term "System QB" was used by the ignorant early in Brady's career to deride and disrespect Brady. Why? Because those people were too ignorant to understand what Belichick, Brady and Weis were doing. Playing to the teams' strengths and away from their weaknesses.

Now, if you're saying that Thorson might thrive in the Patriots system because they'll only have him focus on his strengths while trying to improve his weaknesses each year like Brady has done, great. But otherwise, what are you really talking about?

I want to see BB draft at least a QB and an edge rusher in 2018. By the time the Pats' pick comes up, I expect the "big three" QB's (Rosen, Jackson and Darnold) to be gone. Of those left, I like Josh Allen (who threw to Jacob Hollister at Wyoming), Luke Falk (from Drew Bledsoe's alma mater,Washington State) and Clayton Thorson (an overachiever from Northwestern who looks like he might flourish in a system

Not a Falk fan.

Benched twice. Weak arm. Poor dec making & turtles under pressure.

Yes, I suggest that we bring in rookies and sophomores with a chance to compete like
Wise
Butler
Rivers
Langi
Kidder
Davis

We also might bring back veterans who didn't have great 2017 seasons, but who could help; perhaps players like McClellan and Valentine. We might even re-sign untested players like Francois, Reilly and even Flowers.

Extra kudos for your addendum.

A lot of fans seem to skip right over the roster-building possibilities that may be offered by the six months of the 90-man off-season roster and go directly from this year's 53-man to next year's.

They're missing out on half the fun of following the Pats. Oh, well.

Wise
Butler
Rivers
Langi
Kidder
Davis

What’s your point?

LB, QB, LT, DT, Saf, WR

Not necessarily in order of draft.

I haven't kept up with the upcoming draft class like I have in past years. If the depth is there I'd like to double dip at LB. LB Shaun Dion Hamilton (Alabama) & LB Rashaan Evans (Alabama) are the only LBs that have could my eye so far. Saf Minka Fitzpatrick (Alabama) really piques my interest too.

And although we're set at RB. I like RB Nick Chubb (Georgia) a lot.

Re: a QB in 2018.

We've had good luck the last few years drafting QBs (Brissett, Garropolo). But it's no guarantee the next QB we take will be the same. I say we take a QB early in 2018. Best case, he works out and spends an extra year watching and learning from the GOAT. Worst case, he busts and we try again in 2019. If we forego a QB in 2018, by 2019 the margin of error gets pretty thin.

Walmart doesn't even exist in the country I am from.

Many people have written thoughtful and interesting replies to this post I created which of course I knew would receive some criticism for discussing the draft/2018 roster in the middle of the 2017 season. But I did it to spark a conversation between members of the board. Your post offered nothing but showing you to be a bell-end.

Bell-end. That's a new one. Had to look that one up. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back