PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2018-19 Stanley Cup - Bruins vs Blues

Yep.

I understand the business-side of making expansion teams good early in the life but I hate it nonetheless

Glad the Caps ended their streak last year. That would’ve been brutal to see Vegas get it done year 1.

Wonder if Seattle will get the same setup Vegas did with a tight salary cap making better players available in the expansion draft. Vegas did an excellent job of picking the right players don’t get me wrong but an expansion team shouldn’t be that good right out of the gate.

If were being honest, and I grant different eras and all that, but the Blues were an expansion team in the 67-68 Season.

They went to the Final in 68, 69 and 70.......

So....ummmm....ya....that whole "right out of the gate" thing.

If were being honest, and I grant different eras and all that, but the Blues were an expansion team in the 67-68 Season.

Those blues teams shouldn’t have been there in the first place. Rediculous to put the 6 expansion teams in one division and the Original 6 in the other with the winner of each meeting for the cup. To me, this was the first Blues squad to reach the finals.

Today's expansion team setup is very different. In '67-'68 the league doubled in size with the Original Six comprising one division and the expansion teams another.

Those blues teams shouldn’t have been there in the first place. Rediculous to put the 6 expansion teams in one division and the Original 6 in the other with the winner of each meeting for the cup. To me, this was the first Blues squad to reach the finals.

Fair enough.

Today's expansion team setup is very different. In '67-'68 the league doubled in size with the Original Six comprising one division and the expansion teams another.

And I get that. I was just raising the point that the concept, while different, had occurred before.

And it took the NHL to help the Blues win. That taints it immeasurably. That the Blues play not a heavy game as some like to argue, but a dirty cheap shot game with intent to cause head trauma. Not clean, hard hits that break bones..no no. They play with zero respect for their fellow players’ safety and future mental health.

They are as undeserving of winning the Cup as any in history. More people realize this than you may know, so enjoy your tainted win.

No need to continue this back and forth since a few of you are dug in on your tainted championship rhetoric. Good day to you sir.

At least the Blues have been around for 50+ years. You guys paid your dues

It drives me crazy when newer teams like the Ducks, Hurricanes, Lighting win Cups. Even the Golden Knights even making it after one year in existence is BS.
I feel like those teams have earned the "respect" by now, especially the 'Canes because they weren't an expansion team as the were the Hartford Whalers before and the New Jersey Devils were once the Colorado Rockies and went on to win a few Cups and the Colorado Avalanche almost immediately won a cup after they moved from Quebec.

I feel like those teams have earned the "respect" by now, especially the 'Canes because they weren't an expansion team as the were the Hartford Whalers before and the New Jersey Devils were once the Colorado Rockies and went on to win a few Cups and the Colorado Avalanche almost immediately won a cup after they moved from Quebec.
Yea the point I poorly made was the fans who benefited from a Cup who did not go through the pre-requisite pain and suffering of cheering for a ****ty team.

May be just me but wasn’t that Whalers logo one of the best ever? Cool color scheme, combining that H and W with the whale fin, just fantastic. Must better than those crappy hurricane jerseys these Days.

May be just me but wasn’t that Whalers logo one of the best ever? Cool color scheme, combining that H and W with the whale fin, just fantastic. Must better than those crappy hurricane jerseys these Days.

I will say, I am a fan of the "All Black" Home Hurricanes sweater.

The one with the Hockey Stick/Hurricane flag on the chest and the Gray shoulders with the NC State flag "watermark" patch.

The Whalers H/W is up there with the old Brewers "M/B Mitt" logo and the Montreal Expos "M E B" logo as great all-time "hidden" logos.

I clicked on Bruins twitter today and the “something went wrong” message appeared. Truest thing ever seen on Twitter.

I will say, I am a fan of the "All Black" Home Hurricanes sweater.

The one with the Hockey Stick/Hurricane flag on the chest and the Gray shoulders with the NC State flag "watermark" patch.

The Whalers H/W is up there with the old Brewers "M/B Mitt" logo and the Montreal Expos "M E B" logo as great all-time "hidden" logos.

Yeah I do like the hidden outline of the state of N.Carolina between the flags.

And it could serve as a future main Jersey when they move to Baltimore, since the logo looks like the letter B.

Last edited:
Those blues teams shouldn’t have been there in the first place. Rediculous to put the 6 expansion teams in one division and the Original 6 in the other with the winner of each meeting for the cup...
Yep; the divisions should've gone:

EAST - Boston, NY, Toronto, Montreal, Philthy, Sh!tsdirt.

WEST - Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, Minnesota, LA, SF/Oakland.

Detroit & Chicago would've had a much easier go of it, but non-geographic divisions suck...and the NHL should've had their expansion schedule squared-away long before 1967 anyway.

Honestly didn’t matter who we played. Nah I take that back, for me If we would’ve gotten matched up with Detroit it would’ve made it a little sweeter. A lot of pain Stevie Y and those boys inflicted in the 90s. Even though Boston beat us 50 years ago with that freeze frame of Orr diving as he drives a stake in our hearts it was before my time so i don’t hold any type of grudge against the Bs.

Congrats. Why/how did you become a Blues fan?

Congrats. Why/how did you become a Blues fan?

Grew up outside St. Louis, before the Rams came to town. Latched onto the Pats in the early 90s, a year or 2 before Bledsoe was drafted.

Latched onto the Pats in the early 90s, a year or 2 before Bledsoe was drafted.
That's not just getting in on the ground floor, that's several sub-basements down.

I tip my cap to you, you massochist.

Edit: Oh, wait! You thought you were rooting for the future St. Louis Stallions, weren't you?

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Grew up outside St. Louis, before the Rams came to town. Latched onto the Pats in the early 90s, a year or 2 before Bledsoe was drafted.

WTH is the story behind 'latching onto' Victor Kiam's (shudder) Pats? Many of us who'd been with them from the beginning barely survived that debacle, quite a few of us still have the scars

the 70s is several sub-basements down. not the 90s
A year or two before Bledsoe is the Rod Rust/**** MacPherson era. Imagine not being from New England and choosing *that* team to follow? Egads!

Regards,
Chris

WTH is the story behind 'latching onto' Victor Kiam's (shudder) Pats? Many of us who'd been with them from the beginning barely survived that debacle, quite a few of us still have the scars

At the time I was 10 yrs old. Didn’t know, or care who the owners were. Just picked a bad team with cool unis (which they had to go and ruin a few years later).

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back