PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Combine Thread

He absolutely needs that arm length since he doesn't have great athleticism.

Good sign for him for sure.

I think he's going to surprise when it comes to his test numbers. My guess is that he is far more athletic than he's given credit for, just based on the way I've seen him move around on tape and chase plays down. I was hoping we could nab him at 64, but I wouldn't be surprised if he moves himself into top 50 consideration after this weekend.

I think he's going to surprise when it comes to his test numbers. My guess is that he is far more athletic than he's given credit for, just based on the way I've seen him move around on tape and chase plays down. I was hoping we could nab him at 64, but I wouldn't be surprised if he moves himself into top 50 consideration after this weekend.

It's definitely possible, but its a really crowded top 100. There will be guys in the 4th round we will be pulling our hair out, wondering how they fell so far.

The meat of this draft is about 130 deep imo, and still good value beyond that. If Basham goes top 50, it's just one more guy available later.

It's definitely possible, but its a really crowded top 100. There will be guys in the 4th round we will be pulling our hair out, wondering how they fell so far.

The meat of this draft is about 130 deep imo, and still good value beyond that. If Basham goes top 50, it's just one more guy available later.

I'd still be happy taking Basham at 32 depending on his 3-cone (my only possible question mark with him). Particularly if we're targeting an Edge rusher.

Good for him. Its the biggest thing a lot of these guys dont seem to grasp. GMs and teams want to see how much you love football. Peppers position has only been defined as "football player", which should kill him. But, if you celebrate that, own it, and just do everything, some team will put their chips in for you.

I'd still be happy taking Basham at 32 depending on his 3-cone (my only possible question mark with him). Particularly if we're targeting an Edge rusher.

I would struggle with the value a bit, but would understand it.

There aren't many guys in the top 60 that will get me upset, which should make for a more enjoyable draft day.

How would you compare his rushing skills relative to the passing backs Pats had over the years?

I just caught a few minutes of the combine. McCaffrey really stood out catching the ball. It looked much more effortless for him than the other guys. They did a drill where they sprint back and fourth while catching 3 passes. With all the other guys, you could hear them catch it as the ball slapped against their hands. With McCaffrey, I didn't hear anything as he caught it so much more smoothly.

Cant believe McCaffery only did 10 reps. I weigh 170lbs, workout 3-4 days a week, and miss a bunch of days here and there, and can bench 225 about 5-8 times. it just doesnt make sense to me. lol

Story time . . .

I dug up an old video of me when I was only 24 to demonstrate one of the dangers of reading too much into the numbers from the Combine. (Also, it's crazy to think that at the time of this video, I was 2 - 3 years older than most of these prospects; we really should remember that they're barely adults yet.)

I don't use weights to work out. I'm a bodyweight exercise kind of guy, so my bench press would probably not be great. In fact, I don't know that I'd have the technique to do even one rep. I'm very strong, though. A number of years ago, I went to a gym with a couple friends, and they wanted to see how much I could leg press. I know machines aren't quite the same as pumping iron, but still, I'm pretty proud of this little video.

I started at 650 pounds, since I regularly lifted four people in the air at a time for my performance company (I was a professional acrobat/dancer; similar stuff to Cirque du Soleil performances). 8 reps were too easy, so I added 100. Another 8 reps; 16 total. Added 100. 8 more reps, now up to 24. Then added all the weights left in the room so we were at 1050. The video is my 25th rep, at 1050 pounds. Look how red my face is, haha!

I'm not a big guy either (5'8 #195). Everyone in the room was shocked. But if I'd tried another lift, I might have been worse than someone much smaller than I am -- I just happened to have powerful leg presses. That's why it's so hard to judge these guys by the raw numbers. The important thing is this: can they do their job? I could do my job as a base and an acrobat. McCaffrey can do his job as a running back, receiver, and returner. Don't knock him for 10 reps. He's still an easy 1st round talent.

P.S. Give me a try out, BB. I'll carry on the tradition of short, shifty white guys confounding the league. :cool:

How would you compare his rushing skills relative to the passing backs Pats had over the years?

On a par with Lewis. Probably better than Woodhead. McCaffrey is an underrated inside runner but, and this is where it's hard to forecast, does so running behind the Stanford Ol which is big and often runs multi-TE sets.

Story time . . .

I dug up an old video of me when I was only 24 to demonstrate one of the dangers of reading too much into the numbers from the Combine. (Also, it's crazy to think that at the time of this video, I was 2 - 3 years older than most of these prospects; we really should remember that they're barely adults yet.)

I don't use weights to work out. I'm a bodyweight exercise kind of guy, so my bench press would probably not be great. In fact, I don't know that I'd have the technique to do even one rep. I'm very strong, though. A number of years ago, I went to a gym with a couple friends, and they wanted to see how much I could leg press. I know machines aren't quite the same as pumping iron, but still, I'm pretty proud of this little video.

I started at 650 pounds, since I regularly lifted four people in the air at a time for my performance company (I was a professional acrobat/dancer; similar stuff to Cirque du Soleil performances). 8 reps were too easy, so I added 100. Another 8 reps; 16 total. Added 100. 8 more reps, now up to 24. Then added all the weights left in the room so we were at 1050. The video is my 25th rep, at 1050 pounds. Look how red my face is, haha!

I'm not a big guy either (5'8 #195). Everyone in the room was shocked. But if I'd tried another lift, I might have been worse than someone much smaller than I am -- I just happened to have powerful leg presses. That's why it's so hard to judge these guys by the raw numbers. The important thing is this: can they do their job? I could do my job as a base and an acrobat. McCaffrey can do his job as a running back, receiver, and returner. Don't knock him for 10 reps. He's still an easy 1st round talent.

P.S. Give me a try out, BB. I'll carry on the tradition of short, shifty white guys confounding the league. :cool:

Mancrush developing. Well apart from the hair :)

He is so perfect for our offense.
AFC+Championship+New+England+Patriots+v+Denver+P47MUZPUeQpx.jpg

Story time . . .

Binkie alert

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back