PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 NFL Combine Thread

How about Jalen Myrick. 5'10 - 200 lbs. 4.28 - 40, with 37.5in Vertical and an 10'4 Broad jump..

Somehow I started reading Obi's numbers..

Myrick was literally one of the first guys Inbrought up.

He'll find a spot on a 53 no doubt. Tough, leader, S/T's guy right away.

Do you think it may be interesting timing that the CB day at the combine coincides with the day they have to place their tenders? You think they may consider throwing a 2nd round tender on him instead of the obvious 1st, trying to entice a team to put an offer on him, and add to our draft day?

Maybe they see Butler and Ryan as equal, and might prefer the 2nd rounder this year over the 3rd round comp pick next year?

just a thought.

I think BB likes Butler too much. And I don't think your premise is quite correct. I believe that tenders don't have to be made until thursday.

Ive watched Obi last year so he's not really a surprise to me.

I hear people raving about him but very little about his game?

The word "thunper" gets thrown around which isn't a word Id describe him as.

Same w/ Taco.

Not enough reasoning and substance. Too much group think?

Obi actually reminds me a ton of Chung at Oregon. Playing on a somewhat broken defense, running around trying to do a little bit too much at all times. He has great in the box potential and more, but he will need a lot of coaching.

Taco was simply miscast for a long time and only has been playing his appropriate position a year. He's had to totally change his body, and it's still a work in progress.

Both guys have fantastic physical profiles, and neither are close to finished products. That's just about every prospect on the board after 3.

I think BB likes Butler too much. And I don't think your premise is quite correct. I believe that tenders don't have to be made until thursday.

You are right about it being Thursday, today they just set the price of each tender. It will be interesting if they do go the 2nd round tender, just to give themselves some extra options. I imagine that still wouldn't be enough to get a team to give a monster offer too big to match, but you never know.

By Thursday, they should have a pretty clear idea if they will be in the ballpark to re-sign their own guys, or who they will be losing.

I am getting a bit uncomfortable with how many are throwing around Ryan replacements based on similar physical fits.

I think 70% of Ryan's play was his tenacious prep work. The beat writers make it certainly sound like he is among the standouts when it come to that across the league. So I am not sure if someone who is physically on the same level (or even marginally better) will really be able to replace him.

At least the excellent tackling willingness/ability that we are losing with him should be easier to quantify..

I am getting a bit uncomfortable with how many are throwing around Ryan replacements based on similar physical fits.

I think 70% of Ryan's play was his tenacious prep work. The beat writers make it certainly sound like he is among the standouts when it come to that across the league. So I am not sure if someone who is physically on the same level (or even marginally better) will really be able to replace him.

At least the excellent tackling willingness/ability that we are losing with him should be easier to quantify..

Well that's the problem. We're a bit in the dark on the characters of these prospects so those intangibles are hard to quantify. So we go with the information we have.

Well that's the problem. We're a bit in the dark on the characters of these prospects so those intangibles are hard to quantify. So we go with the information we have.

Yeah, I think I am more concerned with how many in the main board think it will be "easy" to replace certain players. Most people in this draft board are painfully aware what the word projection means and how it involves a lot of guesswork and unknown.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I am more concerned with how many in the main board think it will be "easy" to replace certain players. Most people in this board are painfully aware what the word projection means and how it involves a lot of guesswork and unknown.

Well said. Even the stars of the combine have some really ugly tape at times. That is just the nature of watching guys that aren't pros fail before the real coaching begins.

Losing a corner almost seems inevitable, but we will look back on this secondary, wondering how we had so much talent.

The Wilson comparison works for me on a number of levels. That's high praise; I probably like Ryan better than anyone. I think he's just as important as Butler. Everything I've seen and heard about Wilson is right on par up till now.

That said, you make an excellent point @luuked. We would all do well to remember that numbers are just one more tool, and often it's the intangible and unquantifiable that's important.

I'll file this under Combine I guess..

You are looking at it the wrong way around - the hand size doesn't matter if he catches the ball cleanly and naturally. And so far from what I heard from reamer he looks pretty good catching balls.

Catching the ball isn't the only place hand size comes into play. Holding on to the ball when everyone is trying to strip it or punch it out is easier with bigger and stronger hands.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back