PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

Looks like Barnett is officially in for the draft. If we can get a high pick for Jimmy, then Barnett would be my number one target. I think he's a Bruce Smith / John Abraham type of player. How's that for elite company? I think his baseline is Suggs, and even that is a borderline hall of fame player (even if he is a crybaby). I'm 100% sold on him.

I love how you are all in on him, cause it's forcing me to take more of a look at him.

That's when this board is at its best, when we challenge each other's scouting eye respectfully, without just caving to common thoughts.

I love how you are all in on him, cause it's forcing me to take more of a look at him.

That's when this board is at its best, when we challenge each other's scouting eye respectfully, without just caving to common thoughts.

What's funny is that I didn't like him at first. I thought he was a little stumpy, didn't look super explosive, etc. The more I watched him, the more I saw an incredibly consistent player. He gives good effort. He will play the run. He will drop into coverage. He's not just a speed rusher, although he has a good feel for running the arc. He's also really good at using his arms to jolt the tackle backward, then swat away their hands, and power through to the QB. The thing that finally sold me was his ability to bend while maintaining momentum, balance, and power. He's not the traditional super athlete at his position, but he's got exceptional body control. There's a reason he was so productive for three straight years.

Look at this ankle dorsiflexion as well as the extreme angle of his body compared with the ground:

Derek-Barnett-1-6.jpg

This one is not quite as drastic, but it's the same idea:

Barnett1_1479538702956_7078637_ver1.0.jpg

Another example:

Cx5nP0PXUAQnD79.jpg

He's able to get low like this from either side of the line:

9-17-2016-11-10-59-PM-1269390.JPG

1*8F-UwHgBqWZL5xjRge9ejQ.jpeg

Last edited:
What's funny is that I didn't like him at first. I thought he was a little stumpy, didn't look super explosive, etc. The more I watched him, the more I saw an incredibly consistent player. He gives good effort. He will play the run. He will drop into coverage. He's not just a speed rusher, although he has a good feel for running the arc. He's also really good at using his arms to jolt the tackle backward, then swat away their hands, and power through to the QB. The thing that finally sold me was his ability to bend while maintaining momentum, balance, and power. He's not the traditional super athlete at his position, but he's got exceptional body control. There's a reason he was so productive for three straight years.

Look at this ankle dorsiflexion as well as the extreme angle of his body compared with the ground:

Derek-Barnett-1-6.jpg

This one is not quite as drastic, but it's the same idea:

Barnett1_1479538702956_7078637_ver1.0.jpg

Another example:

Cx5nP0PXUAQnD79.jpg

He's able to get low like this from either side of the line:

9-17-2016-11-10-59-PM-1269390.JPG

1*8F-UwHgBqWZL5xjRge9ejQ.jpeg

Really good stuff!

When Ed Reed and Suggs came out both were thought of as too short, to slow and not athletic enough.

Remember it like it was yesterday. Two of the best "feelings" I ever had even tho I was young. Esp Reed. I love watching the Canes back then. Man they were legit. Bama before Bama

Last edited:
When Ed Reed and Suggs came out both were thought of as too short, to slow and athletic enough.

Remember it like it was yesterday. Two of the best "feelings" I ever had even tho I was young. Esp Reed. I love watching the Canes back then. Man they were legit. Bama before Bama

Any current guys that you feel as strongly about this year?

There are more than a few that think he is/will be a better Jonathan Allen.

He's got real power in his hands and drive from his legs. Really interesting to watch him rise over the next few months.

There are more than a few that think he is/will be a better Jonathan Allen.

He's got real power in his hands and drive from his legs. Really interesting to watch him rise over the next few months.

First we got an Ed Reed comp for Hooker. And now...

LZ backing up his Watt comp for Thomas

I love zierlein, but I am not sure how you compare a guy who was 6'6 305 to a guy who is 6'2 275.

I think Thomas is a beast, but maybe closer to Michael Bennett than JJ watt. I think the talent is real, just the comp doesn't work for me.

I love L.Z. but I've been on the Thomas wagon for months.

I'm working on a comp. It won't be JJ Watt.

Thomas is one of many who will underrated, overrated and back again. Like Peppers. Dont over think it.

Thomas is a guy you wanna move around imo. Best on twist, stunts etc. Match ups. He's a great piece.

Peppers just needs to focus on one position.

Gimme a few Reams n Ill give you a few names that are done with me in terms of being sold

Last edited:
I love zierlein, but I am not sure how you compare a guy who was 6'6 305 to a guy who is 6'2 275.

I think Thomas is a beast, but maybe closer to Michael Bennett than JJ watt. I think the talent is real, just the comp doesn't work for me.

And on cue

Somethings gotta give bc Bennett is actually the closest thing to Watt in terms of versatility and disrupting.

Saquon Barkley was really fun to watch, Ill be looking to see if he declares after next season. I would think he would be a lock to but there really doesn't seem to be getting the hype that other players have garnered

Thomas reminds of one trey flowers.

Any current guys that you feel as strongly about this year?

Rush
Garrett
Harris
Williams

DL
JA
Thomas
Adams

LB
Davis
Foster

CB
Marlon Humphrey
Marshon Lattimore
Q
S. Jones
Lewis

S
Jackson
Adams

RB
Cook
Jamaal Williams
A.K
C.M

WR
Davis
Engram
Darboh
Fred Ross
Taywan Taylor
Rodney Adams (Have to see more of him but I really like him)

TE
Njoku

Lamp w/e you put him, G or T

C
Elflein
Pocic
Orlosky

T
Robinson
R.R.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference