PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some food for thought, through two preseason games in each case:

Brissett: 16/26, 150 yards, 0/0, 5.77 YPA, 9.4 YPC
Garoppolo: 15/25, 229 yards, 3/0, 9.2 YPA, 15.3 YPC

Some food for thought, through two preseason games in each case:

Brissett: 16/26, 150 yards, 0/0, 5.77 YPA, 9.4 YPC
Garoppolo: 15/25, 229 yards, 3/0, 9.2 YPA, 15.3 YPC

How did their receivers and OLines compare?

It is difficult to compare as Brissett is not playing with the same group at Garappolo. Watched replay of last Thursday's game on NFL Network yesterday afternoon and did notice that of all of the back up QB's that have seen in the Pats organization since Brady.. Brissett seems smoother and less ackward..

Jimmy G is his third year in this system, Jacoby is about 3 months into it..

Did you perhaps misread which two Jimmy G games he was referring to?

I find it impossible to compare as they are two VERY different players. Jimmy has a lightning release and is a pocket passer that can run if he needs to. Brisset reminds me of a less acurate Big Ben who locks on to his first read. He is gonna take some time to be ready but he is fun to watch and I am excited to see where he will be in 2-3 years. He is great at making something happen when **** hits the fan. Has the right attitude and is a leader from all accounts so I think he could be a good, not great starting level QB someday. Today however is not that day as he still has ALOT to work on.

I find it impossible to compare as they are two VERY different players. Jimmy has a lightning release and is a pocket passer that can run if he needs to. Brisset reminds me of a less acurate Big Ben who locks on to his first read. He is gonna take some time to be ready but he is fun to watch and I am excited to see where he will be in 2-3 years. He is great at making something happen when **** hits the fan. Has the right attitude and is a leader from all accounts so I think he could be a good, not great starting level QB someday. Today however is not that day as he still has ALOT to work on.

I think as far as recent Pats QB comparisons go, Brissett is closer to what we thought Mallett would be. But still not the same, as no one expected Mallett to be shrugging off tacklers like Brissett does.

I like Brissett, but Garoppolo's numbers are considerably better there so I'm not sure of your point.

Well Jimmy G IMO came in as less of a project than Brissett so that is not surprising.

Still for a project QB he has done very well so far and i like the upside. Also Brisset should have 25 more yards and a TD if not for Lucien badly playing a pass.

Off topic I know, but man do I wish we took a tackle instead of a project QB like Brissett.

Off topic I know, but man do I wish we took a tackle instead of a project QB like Brissett.

At that point in the draft who did you have in mind?

This year's draft results have been overwhelmingly positive.

QB is a good investment down the road. Brissett may be raw, but he has the potential to be the best backup in the Brady era, other than Jimmy G. I think it's still early on, but Brisset has looked promising. I think he has the right stuff to be a starter in this league with some extra training.

Who would we take at OT? We could have taken Clark instead of Thuney, and then taken Thuney at Brissett's spot, I guess. I would have been fine with that. But then who is our backup QB for this season and in the future? It's not an easy choice.

Thankfully, next year looks like a solid year for OT. I already have my eyes on several players who seem to fit the Patriots prototype.

I remember a piece at the time of that pre-season looking at how all the QB's drafted had done. I think Carr and Jimmy got the best grades. Manziel was struggling!

There were certainly high hopes, though he was always going to fade from public consciousness as he would be backing up Brady, whilst others like Bortles would soon start.

Well I can say now that I like the Brissett choice. At the time of the draft I was like WTF given some major needs but the reality is that Garops is in year 3, Brady's situation at the time was unknown but kind of falling apart (BB certainly had more knowledge of the situation than us) and the choice at that point was consistent with what BB does when it comes to draft QBs. It's now always you're gonna hit the lottery ticket in the 6th round, we don't have a shot at the blue chips that go on the 1st round (this year there was no such thing) so you have a good chance of drafting a future decent starter QB in rounds 2 and 3.

It's better to use a draft pick and get a backup QB with cheap salary for 4 years than pay the average salary of backup QB's that is already a good amount of money you can address in other positions. There is a salary cap and BB chooses to spread it all over the roster and not only in a group of 4 or 5 star players like the dumb GM's do. That's why even in a year full or injuries the team still make it to the divisional round if not AFCCG. So paying what 6Mi for a backup QB doesn't fit in this calculation.

Brissett is different that what we have in here but different is good, you just need to not keep trying to fit a square into a circle, he was throwing some nice bombs last week, so far it seems he would struggle in the short passing area, so it's pretty clear he won't be ready to run this system in 2 years if not ever. He seems to have the posture and poise to play the position but not this kind of offense but again there are different ways to win in the NFL.

If he never gets to play a down in the NFL as a Patriot which is what I honestly desire, BB could ship him in a few years for another draft pick, even if not a 3rd, you don't lose in the process, you've gained 4 years of backup QB on the cheap and that's what really matters.

At that point in the draft who did you have in mind?

This year's draft results have been overwhelmingly positive.

First off let me say I like what Cyrus Jones has done for us.

That being said if i knew we were going to get guys likes Jonathan Jones and LeBlanc I would have rather have taken OT Le'Raven Clark with that pick.

If we did we would probably be in a better overall position right now. He is a guy i really liked for the upside. However that is all in retrospect and i do understand the reasoning ofr the Cyrus Jones pick as we didn't expect to potentially strike goal in UDFA CBs again.

First off let me say I like what Cyrus Jones has done for us.

That being said if i knew we were going to get guys likes Jonathan Jones and LeBlanc I would have rather have taken OT Le'Raven Clark with that pick.

If we did we would probably be in a better overall position right now.

Trying to predict how the UDFA market will shake out is a fool's errand.

Trying to predict how the UDFA market will shake out is a fool's errand.

I said that entirely as an in hinsight proposition. Of course no one could know but i think it is clear if we did go OT first and punt on CB in the draft we'd be better off.

I said that entirely as an in hinsight proposition. Of course no one could know but i think it is clear if we did go OT first and punt on CB in the draft we'd be better off.

So how has LeRaven Clark been doing?

We know Cyrus Jones has done well. In the end, is Clark likely to have a better career than Jones?

So how has LeRaven Clark been doing?

We know Cyrus Jones has done well. In the end, is Clark likely to have a better career than Jones?

So far i have heard good things. IDK who will have the better career but going purely by the positional need we have now I would take Clark even if his career ended up being slightly worse overall. Right now he is still in the 2nd team. Not surprising as he is more about the upside than the plug and play.

As long as Tom Brady wears a Patriots jersey, QBs will never be popular draft choices around here. Remember how this board boiled over with outrage at the "inexcusable" pick of Garoppolo , who was obviously a complete waste because if Brady left the field the season was over and we should all pack our bags and go home? :)

Personally, I love "project" QBs. The luxury to develop a young player with top intangibles in my system vs. risking everything on a blue-chipper learning on the job is something I'll take any day.

And yeah, I wanted an OT on draft day and I want one even more now. But even before the draft we were moaning that the pickings looked slim. By the point where Brissett was taken 8 OTs had already been drafted, and immediate help at the position looked unlikely regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back