PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Jacoby Brissett our future at QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Defiant Goose

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
When we drafted him and I checked out his college highlights, I didn't have very high expectations of him. Just kind of never stood out to me. However, with all the attention on Jimmy this offseason I think we may have overlooked Jacoby's performance this pre season. Key words of course are pre season, but Jacoby finished:

38/56, 387 yards, 1 TD 0 INT 94.3 passer rating

Compared to Garoppolo:

36/54, 406 yards, 1 TD 0 INT 95.1

Regardless of Jimmy's performance in these first four games, there's little chance that he's going to be our QB of the future after Brady. Mostly that's Brady's fault because he still is in the prime of his career and Jimmy can't ride the bench another 3-4 years. So does that leave us with Jacoby Brissett to take over at QB? Do you feel as confident in him as you did in Jimmy's rookie year after his pre-season performance?

I really liked what I saw from him. Has a cannon of an arm but decent touch on some of his passes. Maybe we even get to see him for games 3 and 4 if Jimmy just doesn't quite cut it the first two weeks.

Jacoby was going against third stringers, many of whom have been cut and will never play another down of football again.

I am sure BB has a plan whether it's Garrapolo, Brissett, or other, but we won't know it for a while.

My fear is actually the same as the existing reason why Garoppolo isn't the future--I don't think Brady will retire soon enough.

EDIT: When I say fear, I don't really fear it...Brady can play into his 50s and I'd be happy.

Let's hope Brady is back in his old form when he returns........

As his and Brady's contracts expire together, the obvious answer is he gets first shot. How he develops over three years - and if Brady is still wanting, and able, to play in 4 years who knows.

He looked good for a rookie and, by all accounts, is a great guy. So I'll go with "probably".

Way too early to tell of course, but my guess is no.
Why don't you think so? At first glance with Jimmy it was too early to tell of course, but over the last couple of years had Brady been set to retire now or next year, I'd easily pen him down as the next man up. He's as good as gone though, and so far (of course in as minimal a sample size and preseason games) Jacoby seems to be following the same path, albeit with a different skillset than Jimmy.

preseason is meaningless

he's got good mechanics

definitely maybe
Of course. But outside of that Chiefs mess all we have to go on Jimmy so far is just preseason games. Do you not have a good feel for him yet as to whether he could handle the load if Brady were to retire sooner rather than later?

Of course. But outside of that Chiefs mess all we have to go on Jimmy so far is just preseason games. Do you not have a good feel for him yet as to whether he could handle the load if Brady were to retire sooner rather than later?

nope..........it's a total crapshoot

Jacoby was going against third stringers, many of whom have been cut and will never play another down of football again.
Clearly; but he was also playing with that caliber player. We know two things : 1) He looked good in preseason. 2) Despite ups and downs, the reporters said he was the best rookie QB (for the Patriots) since Brady.

We'll see how he develops from here.

He looked good, he supposedly is very smart, and he is said to be a good leader and have the intangibles. Lets take another look next summer and ask the question again. He certainly has made me more comfortable with trading or letting Jimmy G go.

Probably not just going by the odds. You never know though. I don't regret drafting him at this point and he has showed enough that maybe he can be something which is all you can ask for at this point and in a QB that warrants a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Clearly; but he was also playing with that caliber player. We know two things : 1) He looked good in preseason. 2) Despite ups and downs, the reporters said he was the best rookie QB (for the Patriots) since Brady.

We'll see how he develops from here.

I'm definitely optimistic about him. ☺ But from Chris Wing and Michael Bishop to Zach Sudfield and Rufus Johnson, I don't get too excited about preseason performances anymore. The reports from the media are encouraging but not proof to me.

I also hope that we don't see any more samples of his work this year, as that'd mean an injury to Brady and either Jimmy G getting hurt or flopping. ☺

I think there's a very good chance Jacoby takes over the backup QB role from Jimmy next year....but TB12's eventual replacement may still be in college.

JG hasn't even started his first of 4 games and we're wondering if Brisset is our guy?

I'll just cheer the guys that play and leave that for the coach to decide.

I think there's a very good chance Jacoby takes over the backup QB role from Jimmy next year....but TB12's eventual replacement may still be in college.
The way I see it is that if Brady were to retire this year or next year, Jimmy would be the clear cut next guy. Of course, I don't expect Brady to do that, I think he'll retire by 2019 or 2020. Jimmy was drafted in 2014 and is now in his 3rd year. I think if Jacoby follows the same trajectory as Garoppolo and keeps improving over the next 3 or 4 seasons he'll be in the same position Jimmy is now. Provided Brady of course isn't still lighting the world on fire in 2019 or 2020 and wants to play another 4-5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back