PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Roster - Offseason needs

Not that it matters to Pats fans. But, Urschel is one of my favorite players at PSU. Already has two masters degrees, and actually taught a Calculus Class this past semester. Not a TA. He taught it. Won the NCAA Campbell Award given to the smartest student/athlete.

Penn State mathematician, guard John Urschel wins Campbell Trophy
I actually knew that from watching an ESPN special, seems like a coach-able kid, very intelligent, plus his size and ability, really like him a lot

Not that it matters to Pats fans. But, Urschel is one of my favorite players at PSU. Already has two masters degrees, and actually taught a Calculus Class this past semester. Not a TA. He taught it. Won the NCAA Campbell Award given to the smartest student/athlete.

Penn State mathematician, guard John Urschel wins Campbell Trophy
Yep, I can confirm the guy is smart. This is the paper mentioned in the beginning of the article, and I can tell you that even with a math degree, I have no idea what he's talking about. You know something is complicated when even the pictures don't help.

In the best case I'm fine with Vince, Siliga, Armstead, Kelly and Jones. However worst case we could have Siliga, Jones and Vellano again and that's not good enough.

Can we have Warren Sapp please? :)
Geez that Knighton kid looked absolutely beastly though.
too bad we didn't take a shot in free agency.

"Knighton, 27, finished the regular season as a top-ten defensive tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings. He was an offseason free-agent steal on a two-year, $4.5 million contract."

-per Rotoworld

Can we have Warren Sapp please? :)
Geez that Knighton kid looked absolutely beastly though.
too bad we didn't take a shot in free agency.

"Knighton, 27, finished the regular season as a top-ten defensive tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings. He was an offseason free-agent steal on a two-year, $4.5 million contract."

-per Rotoworld
There was probably no real chance for the Pats to get him. From what I've read, he signed with Denver because of his time with Jack Del Rio in Jacksonville.

I saw a mock draft that had the Pats taking OG Yankey of Stanford in the first round and DT Kelcie of SC in the second round (9 plus sacks this year from the DT spot for SC in the SEC) and C Steen of Alabama in the third round.

That is a lot of beef for the lines.

I saw a mock draft that had the Pats taking OG Yankey of Stanford in the first round and DT Kelcie of SC in the second round (9 plus sacks this year from the DT spot for SC in the SEC) and C Steen of Alabama in the third round.

That is a lot of beef for the lines.

Is Steen being projected to center? He played RG guard for the Tide for the past 3 years. Does he have any center experience? He's got a nice build for the position (6'2" 310#). I've read that some scouts project him as a possible center convert, but I don't know if he has much experience.

Complete list of FA's organized by team from NFL.com:

2014 NFL free agents by team - NFL.com

I didn't realize Toby Gerhart was a FA. I want LeGarrette Blount back, but if the price is too high Gerhart would be a nice alternative in a RBBC approach. He has better receiving skills than Blount, and he'd get a lot more opportunity in a RBBC group of the Pats than he would backing up Adrian Peterson.

From Kontra on another thread:

What the Patriots need the most to improve their pass defense (aside from possibly retaining Talib or making a move to replace him, should he go) is another edge rusher to bookend Jones. I like Ninkovich, but he's a guy that you want in a rotation. He's not an ideal guy as a starting DE. A lot of times this year and in 2012, Ninkovich was getting one on one battles with RT's or TE's (due to Jones, Wilfork, and Kelly at some points this season) and wasn't winning them nearly as much as he should have. Unless the team has faith that Buchanan can bulk up enough to take on the run when needed as well as getting the knowledge of when he can and can't push far upfield, DE has to be viewed as a need in the offseason.

I couldn't agree more. I consider this our top defensive need.

FWIW, Chris Price on one NFC scout's view of the Pats' offseason needs:

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/f...ree agency. [/quote] Pretty spot on, IMHO.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back