PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Roster - Offseason needs

What was too bad about TE wasn't so much Ballard & Dudfeld, it was not making a better effort to sign
Joseph Fauria as a UDFA & Dallas Clark after The Prisoner was arrested.

I won't argue too much with Dallas Clark, but think about TE for a second. At the time they were signing UDFAs, no one had any inkling that two months later, Hernandez would be gone permanently.

At that point, they already had GRONK, Hernandez, Fells, Ballard, and Hoomanawanui. What TE in his right mind would intentionally choose trying to break through in that group over trying to catch on with the Lions?

When did this become the "complain about the 2013 offseason" thread?

I won't argue too much with Dallas Clark, but think about TE for a second. At the time they were signing UDFAs, no one had any inkling that two months later, Hernandez would be gone permanently.

At that point, they already had GRONK, Hernandez, Fells, Ballard, and Hoomanawanui. What TE in his right mind would intentionally choose trying to break through in that group over trying to catch on with the Lions?

Fauria's signing bonus with the Loins was $12,500; Dudfeld's was $12,000 + $5000 more
guaranteed. Had Bill offered the same to Fauria, would he have taken it? Maybe, maybe
not; but from these numbers I infer that Bill wanted a UDFA TE in camp one way or another.
I only hope that Bill didn't feel that Dudfeld was a better prospect then Fauria.

I hate to harp on it Mayo. But, our failure to get impact players in our front 7 out of the 2011 NFL Draft is why we have a mediocre defense. It's not second guessing. We posted about it the whole draft process. It was just a matter of which player you liked and pick one. Ryan Kerrigan goes one spot before we pick Solder, and we could have had Muhammed Wilkerson. Could have traded up a little for JJ Watt whom many of us like. Or, up from 1b to get Cam Jordan. All elite players and would have helped us immensely. We had 2 firsts, first pick in 2nd round and our own 2nd rounder and 2 thirds. We got; Solder, Vereen, Dowling, Mallett and Ridley. Plus a first in 2012. Just wasn't good enough. Given what we needed.
That's not as bad as drafting Tavon "bust" Wilson ahead of Kendall Reyes.

2012 NFL Draft Listing - Pro-Football-Reference.com

As I wrote elsewhere:
Those excuses for the New England Patriots defense are just plain lame. The New England Patriots generated no interior pass rush whatsoever. Peyton Manning had all day to STEP UP IN THE POCKET. The last time the New England Patriots drafted a defensive tackle was in the 7th round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

Bill Belichick's crusade to sign or trade for geriatrics at the defensive tackle position has been a massive failure this decade:

Gerard Warren
Shaun Ellis
Albert Haynesworth
Tommy Kelly
Isaac Sopoaga

Not even Ponce de Leon discovered the "Fountain of Youth".

Those excuses for the New England Patriots defense are just plain lame. The New England Patriots generated no interior pass rush whatsoever. Peyton Manning had all day to STEP UP IN THE POCKET. The last time the New England Patriots drafted a defensive tackle was in the 7th round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

Bill Belichick's crusade to sign or trade for geriatrics at the defensive tackle position has been a massive failure this decade:

Gerard Warren
Shaun Ellis
Albert Haynesworth
Tommy Kelly
Isaac Sopoaga

Not even Ponce de Leon discovered the "Fountain of Youth".

I want Tuitt in the 1st. I think he can play DT in the 4-3. A la Richard Seymour. Just not as good as Big Sey. Wouldn't write off Armstead. He had an infection. Not sure I'd label him an injury bust yet. You haven't, but some have.

Depending on Armstead, I am kind of liking the idea of Aaron Donald. I say that as someone who thinks it's clear we'll be drafting mostly offense not defense this year but Donald at DT next to one of the big guys (Wilfork or Siliga) could be very interesting. I know he's small for us but we should have enough overall size to play him - kind of like a much better Chris Jones.

What I really expect, though, is two TE in the first two rounds. Amaro or Ebron in round one and C.J. Feder(don't know the rest) in the second round.

In regard to the secondary, I'm not sold on DMac, maybe we can make a push for a safety and move him back to CB? Is there any good safety that may go late 1st like Elam last year?

In regard to the secondary, I'm not sold on DMac, maybe we can make a push for a safety and move him back to CB? Is there any good safety that may go late 1st like Elam last year?
He was the best safety statistically in 2013...c'mon man, he's better at safety than CB, only way we move him back is if Talib leaves and we can't find a replacement, which we'll find

Depending on Armstead, I am kind of liking the idea of Aaron Donald. I say that as someone who thinks it's clear we'll be drafting mostly offense not defense this year but Donald at DT next to one of the big guys (Wilfork or Siliga) could be very interesting.
Wasn't a huge fan of Donald until the Senior Bowl practices, looks like a monster, would take him in the second or third if we've already addressed at least 1 TE (hopefully Amaro or ASJ, Lynch later on in late Day 2 or early Day 3 IMO)

Wasn't a huge fan of Donald until the Senior Bowl practices, looks like a monster, would take him in the second or third if we've already addressed at least 1 TE (hopefully Amaro or ASJ, Lynch later on in late Day 2 or early Day 3 IMO)
Donald will be, at worst, a high to mid #2 so (barring trades) it's #1 or bust.

I, too, am very much on the TE train but Donald is an interesting option given our "pass rush" against Denver.

Donald will be, at worst, a high to mid #2 so (barring trades) it's #1 or bust.

I, too, am very much on the TE train but Donald is an interesting option given our "pass rush" against Denver.
DT isn't a big need for me with Vince and Kelly coming back, Armstead coming out, and Jones, Sealiga, and Vellano as depth, all great run-stuffers, not pass-rushers

DT isn't a big need for me with Vince and Kelly coming back, Armstead coming out, and Jones, Sealiga, and Vellano as depth, all great run-stuffers, not pass-rushers
It depends on how they come back.

Vince - will he be the same ?
Kelly - are they bringing him back or taking the cap savings ?
Armstead - I assume he'll be ready to go but who knows.

I like Siliga as a starter and Jones as a rotation guy. Vellano is a bottom of the roster guy.

We really need a pass rushing DT unless Armstead can be that. Kelly could but he's seen his better days.

In the best case I'm fine with Vince, Siliga, Armstead, Kelly and Jones. However worst case we could have Siliga, Jones and Vellano again and that's not good enough.

It depends on how they come back.

Vince - will he be the same ?
Kelly - are they bringing him back or taking the cap savings ?
Armstead - I assume he'll be ready to go but who knows.

I like Siliga as a starter and Jones as a rotation guy. Vellano is a bottom of the roster guy.

We really need a pass rushing DT unless Armstead can be that. Kelly could but he's seen his better days.

In the best case I'm fine with Vince, Siliga, Armstead, Kelly and Jones. However worst case we could have Siliga, Jones and Vellano again and that's not good enough.
Vince won't be the same, but he'll be up there still as an elite run stopper, Kelly should come back if restructured, Armstead can actually be a good pass rushing DT, I think Sealiga and Jones will both improve and Vellano may as well, Jones and Vellano couldn't handle the longer season IMO as rookies, but you're right, we won't know until it happens

Armstead is a complete unknown at this point, Vince likely won't be the same, Kelly is coming off an injury and he's old, the rest can't get to the QB.

The interior of both lines need to be restocked.

Armstead is a complete unknown at this point, Vince likely won't be the same, Kelly is coming off an injury and he's old, the rest can't get to the QB.

The interior of both lines need to be restocked.
On a diffirent topic, I like Urschel from PSU as interior O-line depth, 6th round prospect

On a diffirent topic, I like Urschel from PSU as interior O-line depth, 6th round prospect

I'll have a look, thanks. Also, Mackenzie really liked Chris Burnette out of Georgia, apparently he's exceptional at getting downfield but doesn't have ideal length or athleticism, sounds like a great prospect to groom on the interior or have him drop weight and use him as a FB, maybe both:D

Armstead is as much a unknown as any player we draft in this draft. I fail to see the difference.
If he's healthy, that is.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back