PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 Free Agency Period Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

strngplyr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Nearly a week in, almost all of the big names are off the market.

For some reason, as it is every year, a decent sized portion of the fan-base (at least those who post here), expected us to make a move after "name" players.

We didn't, unless you consider Danny Amendola to be a big name, I don't.

--

A quick Breakdown to date:

Retained - Aqib Talib, Kyle Arrington, and Niko Koutouvides

Signed - Danny Amendola, Leon Washington, Adrian Wilson, Donald Jones, and Will Svitek

Rumors - Emmanuel Sanders (would require a 3rd round pick and front loaded contract or a 3rd and (probably) 7th round with a normally structured contract), John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Elvis Dumervil

Unsigned (relevant) - Sebastian Vollmer, Julian Edelman

--

My opinion? I'm rather happy. I don't think we're done. The team was rather obviously fine with our starting corners from last season. They addressed Strong Safety/Coverage LB with one move, Adrian Wilson, and made it a priority to resign both of our FA corners, including offering a 5-year deal to Talib, while succeeding in locking up Arrington for 4 years.

Wide Receiver is a work in progress, currently performing a 100% overhaul of functional (non PS/camp-fodder) receivers. Lloyd and Welker are out, Edelman has yet to be signed (I question if he will even resign given our interest in an RFA over him, unless we haven't heard about the talks between the two parties is all). Danny Amendola and Donald Jones are in. I picture Jones as the #3, with Sanders/Amendola to be the 1/2 (in whichever order) if things go according to plan.

This is still a two TE offense, but they want to become more explosive at the WR position to open up the middle more.

Pass rush is another WIP, the team is cleary not content with Jones and Ninko as the only edge rushers. Jones is entrenched in his position on the line, Ninko needs to be substituted on obvious passing downs, and we need a form of interior pressure (I think our expectations for Armstead are too high at times). Dumervil could become a full time starter but he isn't the best against the run. Freeney/Abraham would be good substitutes for passing downs, but not more more, and I don't want to pay ~3m for a 1 or 2 down player who has been a hot-topic for just how washed-up and done they are. I want Dumervil. He is a superior pass-rusher at this point than both Abraham and Freeney, he's younger, and he would be more than a 1-year rental player. If all 3 are going to be porous against the run, then I want the best pass-rusher who is better than the others against the run as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our LB's do most of the run-stuffing anyways, if we expect Dumervil to be abused, float Spikes around in his area. He still improves the team more immediately and long-term than either Abraham or Freeney.

I trust out offensive line will be fine, we have one of the best line coaches in history and have a very deep draft with trench players ahead of us still. Vollmer might simply be unaffordable for a right-tackle and I think he can be overrated at times. His injuries worry me far too much, Cannon would most likely spend time at RT this season whether Vollmer is a Patriot or not. The only worry I have here is that if we are indeed moving towards a potentially more explosive offense, it will require more time holding the ball than last year. Brady won't lead the league in release time without Welker always being open underneath.

Overall, I'm happy. We have needs to fill yet, but, the rumor-mill surely suggests that we are attempting to address them in, and the rumored methods satisfy me at least.

I mainly made this thread to hear everyones opinions on the changes. I think it needs to be understood that we probably won't be running the same offense we did in 2011 and 2012 and that just because a player isn't 6'5" and running a 4.3 that he can't play outside.

Welker isn't replaceable but if we are attempting to evolve again and stay ahead of the curve, he might not NEED to be replaced. We survived before Welker, we'll survive after Welker. We don't need to win every regular season game by a 17 point margin, we need an offense that isn't predictable.

I would give the 2013 offseason, to date, a rating of about 6/10. We retained 2 key defenders, signed a stud kick returner, signed a WR with potential, if he can stay healthy, to be very good, what should be a solid 3rd WR, a SS/Coverage LB (which was a major need), and there are rumors of beefing up the Pass Rush and adding another WR.

If the Rumors come true I would bump it up to a 7 or 8 of 10.

I think the Patriots confronted a lot of the major issues facing their off-season in free-agency. They have a solid secondary and another year of a good defense.

I like the Donald Jones signing and I think if they can add another X WR along with a pass-rusher (abraham or Freeney) then re-signing Vollmer, and add a low-cost corner-back then I think the pats are on their way to another strong season. They also should focus on adding another x-WR, pass rusher, cover OLB, DT, and another offensive lineman in the draft, and possibly add more OL depth, and secondary depth.

I'd be happier if Sanders was really signed to the offer sheet and something was worked out with Lloyd. As it stands our WR situation is a mess. I do realize it is early though so I'm somewhat satisfied. Also would've been happier if we could've signed Freeney, Abraham, or Dumervil.

I felt Arrington, Talib, Wilson were good moves in an area we needed the most help so I am satisfied I guess, not thrilled. Sanders and Abraham/Freeney/Dum would be awesome though.

I think....the Patriot minds have a plan....A, B, C, D, E. Overall....I like some of the moves...but there is alot of work to be done. I am sure they are setting themselves up to fill the holes and then ...take the best player available..in the draft. I am waiting for the dust to settle....but Patriot fans expectations are high every year .....In Bill We Trust.....:rocker:

There are plenty of FA"s - and good ones- that are not signed yet. Go to the top 100 at CBS Sports or the FA rankings at ESPN or several other sites.
I have posted those sites in the past, but can't right now.

The Patriots have no need for "big name" FA's, just some solid veterans to fill in positons. That will continue to happen over the next couple weeks.

....... Vollmer might simply be unaffordable for a right-tackle and I think he can be overrated at times. His injuries worry me far too much

I agree with this. I think PATs FO has decided to move on without him unless he can be obtained at a real good price with some kind of injury protection that would reduce their risk.
But I think there will be other teams that will offer a better contract than
PATs will be willing to give.

I think we got better on defense, Our offense will be better by the end of the season.

The Jets are basically in full rebuild mode, The bills don't have a QB and a new coaching staff(again) and the dolphins just mortgaged the future on mike wallace.

I think the patriots got better and everyone else in the afc just turned their wheels and in some cases went backwards.

I think we got better on defense, Our offense will be better by the end of the season.

The Jets are basically in full rebuild mode, The bills don't have a QB and a new coaching staff(again) and the dolphins just mortgaged the future on mike wallace.

I think the patriots got better and everyone else in the afc just turned their wheels and in some cases went backwards.

The 21st century Pats real challenge is post season. First the Denvers, Baltimores and Indys and if through that onto the hard core last man standing of SF, Seattle, NO, Atl and alway NYG

I'm not as euphoric as the rest of you. The Patriots went into free agency
with seven good free agents: Welker, Vollmer, Talib (the big three) plus
Thomas, Edleman, Arrington, and Woodhead. After cutting Lloyd, the total becomes eight.

So far, they have re-signed only Talib and Arrington. They have lost
Welker, Thomas, Woodhead, Lloyd, and will probably lose Vollmer. This
would mean losing three starters on offense.

Their signings/re-signings have been good but have left too many holes.
Amendola (if healthy) may be a decent replacement for Welker but there
is no replacement for Lloyd and I hope Cannon is not the replacement if
Vollmer leaves.

I do think Adrian Wilson gives us a big, hard hitting safety and Washington gives us a superior kick returner. I was tired of watching our returners run into their blockers.

Thomas, Edleman, Arrington, and Woodhead. After cutting Lloyd, the total becomes eight.

Vollmer leaves.

I do think Adrian Wilson gives us a big, hard hitting safety and Washington gives us a superior kick returner. I was tired of watching our returners run into their blockers.

I pretty much agree with this tempered view but FA moves are far from finished. My grade is Incomplete. The final grade could go either way. I'm hopeful and enjoying the process.

The 21st century Pats real challenge is post season. First the Denvers, Baltimores and Indys and if through that onto the hard core last man standing of SF, Seattle, NO, Atl and alway NYG

I think baltimore is going to be much worse, with cincy winning the afc north this year.

Indy is only going to get better with age, but i think this year will be a step backwards now that there is a lot of game tape on luck.

I said this last year and i'll say it now, denver doesnt scare me. I would much rather have had denver in the AFCCG then Baltimore.

The biggest threats this year are going to be the bengals that finally get over the hump, the texans who are about to see their window close, and i think the chargers will stop making clowns of themselves with their new coaching staff.

I agree.

We had 8 key free agents (including Lloyd). We have re-signed two. And none of the replacements have been as good as the player they replaced. And of course, some have not yet been replaced.

I will feel alot better if we sign Vollmer, Lloyd or Edeman and Abraham or Freeney in the next few days. The wide receivers would still be worse by far than last year.

As you say the plus are Wilson and Washington (as a kr).

Vollmer leaves.

Vollmer leaves.

I think its fair to note that of the out going free agents several of them have capable players already on the roster. I think if they thought like you do about Cannon they would have been more active in resigning Volmer. We did sign a potential back up swing tackle. Vareen and Ridley should do just fine without Woody and Washington, Bolden, and/or Demps should pick up the scraps just fine too.

Two replaced on the roster already. Woody and Volmer(if he is gone)

Amendola replaces Wes - Say what you want good or bad about it this is the case.

Talib and Arrington are back. Thats 5

Thomas, Edelman, and Lloyd remain.
Thomas is good we need to replace his depth but that hasnt been a difficult task for this team through the years.
Edelman is essentially replaced already as both Amendola and Washington can return punts Jules is better but so be it. Jules did not give much with the O and I am counting on Jones to replace the combo of Branch and Edelman. But I also want a rookie to compete/add depth here and I would welcome back and possible even perfer back Edelman to keep the PR and not give up on the project he has been thus far.
That leaves a fairly big hole in Lloyds production. The obvious name here is Sanders but until that happens the hole remains.

Strictly at WR we are looking at
Wes VS DA: my opinion take it for what it is which is a solid replacement for wes who can do somethings different but fills that role. Regardless of how well he does compared to Wes the spot is filled.

Lloyd VS Hole: My opinion this needs to be filled and considering we can expect a drop off from Wes to DA this needs to be a hit and be better than Lloyd. If this is accomplished this is where the team in theory becomes harder to defend as there would be 4 to key in on as opposed to 3 the last few years.

The rest
Branch/Edelman/and anyone else who caught a pass last year VS 3 spots left: My opinion I would like it to be Edelman/rookie/and one more FA. Perferably in the mold of Jones with some production/potential but not to expensive or at least in the mold of Branch a vet that knows our sytem (I will take as many of these guys as want to come to camp with no guarentee and compete Branch/Gaffney/ Stallworth/Moss/anyone even no experience)

so far everything above has been mantaining to out going free agents. But we still have the addition of Adrian Wilson, we still have the draft, and we are still in the hunt for a pass rusher. We still have unknown commodities in Ballard, Demps, Armstead to consider as additions too.

So in the end I think I am fairly happy with how the offseason has gone. If I assume a pass rusher and a WR of the level of Sanders and Abraham than I can get really happy. Plus who knows what else they have planned and what else could fall in our lap if anything.

Nearly a week in, almost all of the big names are off the market.

For some reason, as it is every year, a decent sized portion of the fan-base (at least those who post here), expected us to make a move after "name" players.

We didn't, unless you consider Danny Amendola to be a big name, I don't.

--

A quick Breakdown to date:

Retained - Aqib Talib, Kyle Arrington, and Niko Koutouvides

Signed - Danny Amendola, Leon Washington, Adrian Wilson, Donald Jones, and Will Svitek

Rumors - Emmanuel Sanders (would require a 3rd round pick and front loaded contract or a 3rd and (probably) 7th round with a normally structured contract), John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Elvis Dumervil

Unsigned (relevant) - Sebastian Vollmer, Julian Edelman

--

My opinion? I'm rather happy. I don't think we're done. The team was rather obviously fine with our starting corners from last season. They addressed Strong Safety/Coverage LB with one move, Adrian Wilson, and made it a priority to resign both of our FA corners, including offering a 5-year deal to Talib, while succeeding in locking up Arrington for 4 years.

Wide Receiver is a work in progress, currently performing a 100% overhaul of functional (non PS/camp-fodder) receivers. Lloyd and Welker are out, Edelman has yet to be signed (I question if he will even resign given our interest in an RFA over him, unless we haven't heard about the talks between the two parties is all). Danny Amendola and Donald Jones are in. I picture Jones as the #3, with Sanders/Amendola to be the 1/2 (in whichever order) if things go according to plan.

This is still a two TE offense, but they want to become more explosive at the WR position to open up the middle more.

Pass rush is another WIP, the team is cleary not content with Jones and Ninko as the only edge rushers. Jones is entrenched in his position on the line, Ninko needs to be substituted on obvious passing downs, and we need a form of interior pressure (I think our expectations for Armstead are too high at times). Dumervil could become a full time starter but he isn't the best against the run. Freeney/Abraham would be good substitutes for passing downs, but not more more, and I don't want to pay ~3m for a 1 or 2 down player who has been a hot-topic for just how washed-up and done they are. I want Dumervil. He is a superior pass-rusher at this point than both Abraham and Freeney, he's younger, and he would be more than a 1-year rental player. If all 3 are going to be porous against the run, then I want the best pass-rusher who is better than the others against the run as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but our LB's do most of the run-stuffing anyways, if we expect Dumervil to be abused, float Spikes around in his area. He still improves the team more immediately and long-term than either Abraham or Freeney.

I trust out offensive line will be fine, we have one of the best line coaches in history and have a very deep draft with trench players ahead of us still. Vollmer might simply be unaffordable for a right-tackle and I think he can be overrated at times. His injuries worry me far too much, Cannon would most likely spend time at RT this season whether Vollmer is a Patriot or not. The only worry I have here is that if we are indeed moving towards a potentially more explosive offense, it will require more time holding the ball than last year. Brady won't lead the league in release time without Welker always being open underneath.

Overall, I'm happy. We have needs to fill yet, but, the rumor-mill surely suggests that we are attempting to address them in, and the rumored methods satisfy me at least.

I mainly made this thread to hear everyones opinions on the changes. I think it needs to be understood that we probably won't be running the same offense we did in 2011 and 2012 and that just because a player isn't 6'5" and running a 4.3 that he can't play outside.

Welker isn't replaceable but if we are attempting to evolve again and stay ahead of the curve, he might not NEED to be replaced. We survived before Welker, we'll survive after Welker. We don't need to win every regular season game by a 17 point margin, we need an offense that isn't predictable.

I would give the 2013 offseason, to date, a rating of about 6/10. We retained 2 key defenders, signed a stud kick returner, signed a WR with potential, if he can stay healthy, to be very good, what should be a solid 3rd WR, a SS/Coverage LB (which was a major need), and there are rumors of beefing up the Pass Rush and adding another WR.

If the Rumors come true I would bump it up to a 7 or 8 of 10.

Still a lot of very good players on the market. http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/2013-nfl-free-agents?pg=4

We will all do our analyses when we know more.

THE RE-SIGNINGS
Yes, these were good re-signings. Many here wanted better, but I am well satisfied with Talib and Arrington. We'll fo through this again next year.

THE REPLACEMENTS
Your analysis seems indicates who have replaced and just presumes optimism. The reality is that Amendola is not as good as Welker. Washington may be a replacement for Demps at KR, but he not as good as Woodhead at 3rd down back. Cannon may be Vollmer and Svikek may have replaced Vollmer, but that doesn't make the team better. MacDonald is now our replacement for Thomas, a clear downgrade.

IMPROVEMENTS
Washington as kick returner and Willson replacing Chung are clear improvements.
And we are likely to sign a needed pass-rusher.

WIDE RECEIVER OPENINGS
We've downgraded Welker and Lloyd by signing Amedola and Jones. This is a clear downgrade. We still need to re-sign or replace Edelman and Branch. This is simply awful.

OVERALL DEFENSE
Presuming the usual JAG's and STer being brought in, our defense should be improved. We've added Armstead, Wilson, and probably will add a pass-rusher (likely our top priority).

SPECIAL TEAMS
We are stronger with Washington, and weaker without Cole.

OVERALL OFFENSE
As of now, we've weakened the OL considerably. We've also weakened the WR corp considerably, scuttling the wide receiver portion of one of the very best passing games in the nfl. Finally, we've weakened our 3rd down running game.

THE DRAFT
The draft usually cannot be counted on for rookie production, although we certainly have done well. As of now, the best strategy would seem to draft 2 WR's and a RT.

I think its fair to note that of the out going free agents several of them have capable players already on the roster. I think if they thought like you do about Cannon they would have been more active in resigning Volmer. We did sign a potential back up swing tackle. Vareen and Ridley should do just fine without Woody and Washington, Bolden, and/or Demps should pick up the scraps just fine too.

Two replaced on the roster already. Woody and Volmer(if he is gone)

Amendola replaces Wes - Say what you want good or bad about it this is the case.

Talib and Arrington are back. Thats 5

Thomas, Edelman, and Lloyd remain.
Thomas is good we need to replace his depth but that hasnt been a difficult task for this team through the years.
Edelman is essentially replaced already as both Amendola and Washington can return punts Jules is better but so be it. Jules did not give much with the O and I am counting on Jones to replace the combo of Branch and Edelman. But I also want a rookie to compete/add depth here and I would welcome back and possible even perfer back Edelman to keep the PR and not give up on the project he has been thus far.
That leaves a fairly big hole in Lloyds production. The obvious name here is Sanders but until that happens the hole remains.

Strictly at WR we are looking at
Wes - DA my opinion take it for what it is which is a solid replacement for wes who can do something different things but fill that role regardless of how well he does compared to Wes the spot is filled.

Lloyd - Hole needs to be filled and considering we can expect a drop off from Wes to DA this needs to be a hit and be better than Lloyd. If this is accomplished this is where the team in theory becomes harder to defend as there would be 4 to key in on as opposed to 3 the last few years.

The rest
Branch/Edelman/and anyone else who caught a pass last year - 3 spots left I would like it to be Edelman/rookie/and one more FA perferably in the mold of Jones with some production/potential but not to expensive or in the mold of Branch a vet that knows out sytem (I will take as many of these guys as want to come to camp with no guarentee and compete Branch/Gaffney/ Stallworth/Moss/anyone even no experience)

so far everything above has been mantaining to out going free agents. But we still have the addition of Adrian Wilson, we still have the draft, and we are still in the hunt for a pass rusher.

So in the end I think I am fairly happy with how the offseason has gone. If I assume a pass rusher and a WR of the level of Sanders and Abraham than I can get really happy. Plus who knows what else they have planned and what else could fall in out lap if anything.

I've stepped back from the ledge that the Patriots almost always lead me to step out on during the first few days of free agency. Frankly, I'm happy with what's been done so far in free agency, and other than resigning Julian Edelman to return punts and add depth to the receiver corp and resign Sebastion Vollmer or a veteran LG because I'm not too keen on a Connolly and Cannon right side of the OL, I'd like them to look to the draft to round out their 2013 team.

The dirty work of weaning Tom Brady off Wes Welker has been accomplished. We're going to find out that a lot of the trouble they've had developing receivers is #12's over-reliance on #83 removed the oxygen other receivers needed to be integrated into the offense. Just like in 2010 when Randy Moss was removed from the equation, and the offense actually improved. Brandon Lloyd proved to be nothing special. If you're going to dumb down the offense to integrate younger receivers, you might as well rebuild the whole position while you're at it. Plus, if you need to overall his receivers, isn't it better to do it when Tom Brady is 36 and still on top of his game than do it when he's 38 and age has started to take it's toll.

Danny Amendola is not Wes Welker's replacement. His game is more diverse than Welker's (yes, when he's on the field) and far more complimentary to the tight ends especially Aaron Hernandez who will no longer have to spend so much time essentially playing out position. Donald Jones reminds me of David Givens which is a good thing. They will add a receiver or two in the draft with one being drafted in the first couple of rounds. Plus, they have 3 intriguing prospects who ended last season with the team on the PS or the roster: Kamar Aiken, Andre Holmes and Jeremy Ebert. Aiken and Holmes have size, and Holmes and Ebert have speed. Remember folks, there were more undrafted free agents on the Patriots roster last season than players drafted in any round of the draft.

Come September what you'll have is an offense that will be more balanced between run and pass and with the passes being completed to more receivers with the same frequency and for more yards per catch than before Welker's stupid agents ran him out of town (or so the pats want all you Welker lovers to believe).

On defense, the most important goal was maintaining the progress the pass defense made after Talib was required and McCourty was moved to safety. Hopefully, Alonzo Dennard will be out of jail before training camp begins. Another CB will be drafted in the in the first 3 rounds for depth. Adrian Wilson beings toughness, size and leadership to the secondary. If DBs can't head hunt, it's even more important to have someone in the secondary physical enough to lay the lumber with legal hits. The pass rush is going to be helped more by the development of Chandler Jones, the addition of an athlete like Armond Armstead and the continued usage of creative blitzes than it will be by adding an aging pass rusher or two.

So, if you're still on the ledge holding your breath for Elvis Dumervil or Emmanuel Sanders, step back and rest easy. In Bill I trust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back