PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Mock Draft Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Fusco fell to the 7th round?

Surprising considering how many people on this site love the guy.

Havili's the guy I wanted in the 7th. Nice pass catching FB to give the Texans another weapon on offense. If the defense keys on Andre Johnson, the Texans have some options underneath. :)

Last edited:
I would like to know if TapDancing39 and sbpatfan still participating in this draft. You missed your last selection and if I do not hear from you before your next selection either I or another GM will make the selection. We are making good progress and can't afford any more delays in this process. The deadline time does not apply when you have missed a pick and no one hears from you.

Last edited:
I can summarize my St. Louis Rams draft now. I started out with 2 draft boards once Julio Jones was drafted I went to my other board and here's the results.

(1) Cameron Jordan DT California
I believe the Rams need football players and I feel this young man can fit in any system and be very productive and another key cog in the rebuilding process. I chose Jordan over Aldon Smith because of the experience and the productivity over his career and Smith probably will be a good player but I'll take years of experience more times than not.

(2) Marcus Cannon G TCU
The guard play for the Rams last year needed some upgrading and just watching this young man in the bowl game and reading his profile he just seems like a player you can put on your offensive line and let him maul defenders for the next decade.

(3) DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
With the loss of O.J. Atogwe the Rams needed a playmaker at the safety position and this standout from Clemson will help the secondary make that transition.

(4) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
Like I said earlier that I had Julio Jones on my radar and I wanted a Big Receiver with sure hands and this Boise State product has been very productive and most of the times I saw him play he was impressive and comes from a very good program that understands the passing game. I believe he will give Sam Bradford a go to guy to grow with.

(5) Delone Carter RB Syracuse
Well we all know that Stephen Jackson needs a quality backup and Carter was productive during his time at Syracuse and I believe he would do a good job of spelling Mr. Jackson and putting in some quality playing time.

(7) Chris Rucker CB Michigan State
The Rams need depth for their cornerback position. I feel the starting corners do a quality job but in my opinion you can not have enough quality corners so thats why I went with this selection in this part of the draft.

(7) Adrian Taylor DT Oklahoma
I felt that the Rams needed depth in this area and I know Taylor did not have the production he had previously but I decided to take a chance and see if the coaching staff can light a fire under him and bring him back to his more productive years in the past. I wanted to draft Marvin Austin but didn't get the chance to pull the trigger at least what part of the draft I wanted to draft him in because of the off the field infractions.

I can summarize the two teams I had involvement with now, too.

I'll start with the Lions, whom I took over in the 5th round:

(1) JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Not sure I would have gone in this direction as I actually view DL as a strength for Detroit. Lions fans seem to want a CB or LB, and there really weren't any worth the #13 pick, though.

(2) Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
Here's the help at LB. I like Carter in the Lions' scheme. He's a bit of a versatile do-it-all LB that should stay on the field all three downs. Watt and Carter should really beef up Detroit's front seven.

(3) Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
And now the help at CB. Burton's a kid I've got my eye on for the Patriots, and to get him early in the 3rd round is a nice pick.

(4) Stephen Schilling, OG, Michigan
Not sure he'll ever be a star, but it's not a stretch to imagine Schilling as a starter at guard for a long, long time in the NFL. Another under the radar kid I've got my eye on as far as the Pats go.

(5) Chris Conte, DB, California
I view Conte as a long-term project at Free Safety next to Louis Delmas. The Lions ranked pretty low in passing yards against and 20+ yard completions against. (See, Thankgiving) Lions fans also feel Safety is a potential need in the draft.

(7) Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State
Not especially big or quick, but I like him as a slot receiver since he's got dependable hands and he knows how to get open. Could be one of Stafford's best friends.

And now for the Falcons, whom I picked because they're right ahead of the Patriots and because they use some of the same drafting philosophies. I get the sense that we may be cursing Atlanta at times on Draft Day.

(1) Mike Pouncey, G, Florida
As I said earlier, I think I MAY have let my Gator Bias get in the way here. I sort of agonized between Pouncey and Wilkerson for a while. I went with Pouncey because I think he's got a bit better upside and because I think he's more of a sure thing. I also decided I'd rather pick the best guard in the draft than the 5th or 6th best DE/DL in the draft.

(2) Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
I think the Falcons would like to come away from this draft with a deep threat for Matt Ryan. While Roddy White is great, I'm not sure the Falcons are too happy with Michael Jenkins or Harry Douglas. Hankerson gives them a big-play guy who knows how to find the end zone.

(3) Allen Bailey, DE, Miami
John Abraham is getting up there in age, and I think the Falcons were a bit disappointed in Kroy Biermann this year. I have concerns about Bailey, but not enough for me to pass him up at the end of round three.

(4) DJ Williams, TE, Arkansas
Tony Gonzalez's long-term replacement. Similar to Aaron Hernandez, but a bit better blocker, and maybe not quite the threat after the catch.

(5) Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky
Really wanted to come away with a guy that could move the chains on 3rd down, but I think I waited too long to pick him. I like Locke as a playmaker, but I'm not sure the value is here.

(6) Jonas Mouton, LB, Michigan
Another under-the-radar kid that fits what Atlanta does well. Sean Weatherspoon and Curtis Lofton are great, but who knows if Mike Peterson will be back and how effective he'll continue to be if he is. The Falcons need to try and think about his replacement.

(7) Ryan Winterswyck, LB, Boise State
Like I said, the Falcons need to think about the fact that John Abraham is getting up there in age. Based on 2009, Winterswyck looked like a 3rd round pick. Based on 2010, he looked like an UDFA. At this point, I'm gonna roll the dice.

(7) Anthony Gaitor, CB, Florida International
Can never have enough competition at the corner back spot. Gaitor's athletic and has some very interesting skills, IMO.

(7) Shaun Chapas, FB, Georgia
The next time we see football, Ovie Mughelli could be 32 years of age and in his Free Agent year. Chapas is a classic fullback that could spend a year on the practice squad and then take right over for Mughelli.

And now for the Falcons, whom I picked because they're right ahead of the Patriots and because they use some of the same drafting philosophies. I get the sense that we may be cursing Atlanta at times on Draft Day.

As I said earlier, I think I MAY have let my Gator Bias get in the way here. I sort of agonized between Pouncey and Wilkerson for a while. I went with Pouncey because I think he's got a bit better upside and because I think he's more of a sure thing. I also decided I'd rather pick the best guard in the draft than the 5th or 6th best DE/DL in the draft.

I think the Falcons would like to come away from this draft with a deep threat for Matt Ryan. While Roddy White is great, I'm not sure the Falcons are too happy with Michael Jenkins or Harry Douglas. Hankerson gives them a big-play guy who knows how to find the end zone. Hankerson isn't a true deep threat, though.

John Abraham is getting up there in age, and I think the Falcons were a bit disappointed in Kroy Biermann this year. I have concerns about Bailey, but not enough for me to pass him up at the end of round three.

Tony Gonzalez's long-term replacement. Similar to Aaron Hernandez, but a bit better blocker, and maybe not quite the threat after the catch.

Really wanted to come away with a guy that could move the chains on 3rd down, but I think I waited too long to pick him. I like Locke as a playmaker, but I'm not sure the value is here.

Another under-the-radar kid that fits what Atlanta does well. Sean Weatherspoon and Curtis Lofton are great, but who knows if Mike Peterson will be back and how effective he'll continue to be if he is. The Falcons need to try and think about his replacement.

Like I said, the Falcons need to think about the fact that John Abraham is getting up there in age. Based on 2009, Winterswyck looked like a 3rd round pick. Based on 2010, he looked like an UDFA. At this point, I'm gonna roll the dice.

Can never have enough competition at the corner back spot. Gaitor's athletic and has some very interesting skills, IMO.

The next time we see football, Ovie Mughelli could be 32 years of age and in his Free Agent year. Chapas is a classic fullback that could spend a year on the practice squad and then take right over for Mughelli.

I think you did the right thing with Pouncey. From all talks, Harvey Dahl, Atlanta's starting RG, is done in Atlanta and is one of the top Free Agent guards on the market.

I like the pick of Hankerson because he can take Brian Finneran's place and Matt Ryan will like what Hankerson brings to the table, IMHO.

As I said earlier, I think I MAY have let my Gator Bias get in the way here. I sort of agonized between Pouncey and Wilkerson for a while. I went with Pouncey because I think he's got a bit better upside and because I think he's more of a sure thing. I also decided I'd rather pick the best guard in the draft than the 5th or 6th best DE/DL in the draft. I can understand the choice because of need. I'm not a fan, though many on this board are..

I think the Falcons would like to come away from this draft with a deep threat for Matt Ryan. While Roddy White is great, I'm not sure the Falcons are too happy with Michael Jenkins or Harry Douglas. Hankerson gives them a big-play guy who knows how to find the end zone. Good pick IMO

John Abraham is getting up there in age, and I think the Falcons were a bit disappointed in Kroy Biermann this year. I have concerns about Bailey, but not enough for me to pass him up at the end of round three. Plays like Jane. We'll see on this one..

Tony Gonzalez's long-term replacement. Similar to Aaron Hernandez, but a bit better blocker, and maybe not quite the threat after the catch. Really an H-back. Love the talent.

Another under-the-radar kid that fits what Atlanta does well. Sean Weatherspoon and Curtis Lofton are great, but who knows if Mike Peterson will be back and how effective he'll continue to be if he is. The Falcons need to try and think about his replacement. I thought of him as a Tampa-2 player. 6th round- great value.

10 charactors

Last edited:
I can summarize the two teams I had involvement with now, too.

I'll start with the Lions, whom I took over in the 5th round:

(1) JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
Not sure I would have gone in this direction as I actually view DL as a strength for Detroit. Lions fans seem to want a CB or LB, and there really weren't any worth the #13 pick, though. I'd get killed if I had an issue here. Might even be better as a 4-3 end

(2) Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
Here's the help at LB. I like Carter in the Lions' scheme. He's a bit of a versatile do-it-all LB that should stay on the field all three downs. Watt and Carter should really beef up Detroit's front seven. Injury risk on a team that is rising makes this a little risky. Could be a great pick for the Lions...

(3) Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
And now the help at CB. Burton's a kid I've got my eye on for the Patriots, and to get him early in the 3rd round is a nice pick.

(4) Stephen Schilling, OG, Michigan
Not sure he'll ever be a star, but it's not a stretch to imagine Schilling as a starter at guard for a long, long time in the NFL. Another under the radar kid I've got my eye on as far as the Pats go.

(5) Chris Conte, DB, California
I view Conte as a long-term project at Free Safety next to Louis Delmas. The Lions ranked pretty low in passing yards against and 20+ yard completions against. (See, Thankgiving) Lions fans also feel Safety is a potential need in the draft.

(7) Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State
Not especially big or quick, but I like him as a slot receiver since he's got dependable hands and he knows how to get open. Could be one of Stafford's best friends. An Ohio St player in Detroit? LOL

Nice draft

CanadianPat'sFan once you change your pick we will go forward with the draft. The Detroit Lions beat you to that pick.

Last edited:
Well, the Eagles are now done...

23 Philadelphia - Nate Solder OT Colorado
54 Philadelphia - Curtis Brown CB Texas
85 Philadelphia - William Rackley OG Lehigh
104 Philadelphia - Terrell McClain DT South Florida
120 Philadelphia - Buster Skrine CB Chattanooga
149 Philadelphia - Colin McCarthy LB Miami
153 Philadelphia - Joe Lefeged SS Rutgers
227 Philadelphia - Cliff Matthews DE/ OLB South Carolina
237 Philadelphia - Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin
240 Philadelphia - Bilal Powell RB Louisville

Going into the draft I was looking for a Guard, at least 1 Cornerback, and a development QB. Then I was just looking for opportunities to upgrade, such as Tackle, OLB, SS, Center. I kept missing out on the QB & Center choices that I thought might be available in rounds 5, and 6. I'm happy with Tolzien. The draft fell pretty well for me, so after the pick of Rackley I was really just picking my Best Player Available. Comments?

With the draft winding down well I will summarize the Pittsburgh Steelers Draft.

(1) Jimmy Smith CB Colorado
Well after watching the Super Bowl well we know that the Steelers need help in the secondary and finding this guy still on the board was a pleasant surprise and I wasn't going to pass up the chance of improving the secondary. Smith is a big physical corner like the Steelers like and will get playing time very soon during the season.

(2) Greg Jones ILB Michigan State
I wanted to add depth to the inside linebacker position with James Farrior getting up in years and with the chance of adding a thumper like this I could not pass this up.

(3) DeMarcus Love OT/G Arkansas
I needed to add some quality depth to the offensive line and this young man from the Razorbacks will make a good addition to the front wall protecting Big Ben.

(4) Ian Williams NT Notre Dame
Casey Hampton is getting up in age and now is the time to add a quality backup that could eventually take over in the future and be the understudy for one of the best nose guards in the game and in Steeler history as well.

(5) Shareece Wright CB USC
I'm still looking at adding quality corner help and when I saw this young man still on the board well I had to make the selection because the Steelers really need help in the secondary especially at the corner position so I decided to add another corner.

(6) Chris Henry P Florida
With this selection I added the Ray Guy award winner who will help with booming punts and changing of field position and a valuable weapon in the cold weather months as well.

(7) Jerrard Tarrant FS Georgia Tech
I was looking at adding another lineman but I saw the value in this selection and decided to go this route to give this young man a chance to learn from Troy and company in the secondary.

Ok its time to talk about the Green Bay Packers Draft.

(1) Jonathan Baldwin WR Pittsburgh
With this standout from the Panthers I had to give Aaron Rogers another weapon. With Donald Driver getting up in age and eventually thinking retirement and also James Jones is up for free agancy and has been pretty inconsistent over his career. It was a close call between this young man and Torrey Smith but SirApropos made the selection easier for me.

(2) Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas
I wanted to add another edge rusher on the other side from Clay Matthews and wanted to go with this Texas Longhorn and make the defense even better and give Dom Capers more options with his exotic blitz packages.

(3) Lee Ziemba OT Auburn
I will be interested to see where this young man goes in the draft. Picking at the end of the round and the run on offensive tackles in this draft this is one player I probably reached for but time will tell soon.

(4) Casey Matthews ILB Oregon
I followed this player in the National Championship game and thought it would be a good idea to pair him with his brother that would help with the learning curve and also make the young man feel at home. Besides Casey is a quality player in his own right so welcome another Matthews to the squad.

(4) Jalil Brown CB Colorado
This young man had plenty of experience getting tested by quarterbacks throughout the year especially with team mate Jimmy Smith on the other side. With Charles Woodson and company this young man will get some valuable tutelage.

(5) Kristopher O'Dowd C USC
Just wanted to add more depth to the offensive line and this player will probably be asked to play some at the guard position as well.

(6) Noel Divine RB West Virginia
Add this waterbug to the Packers offensive arsenal and I wouold expect him to be a huge addition to special teams as well. Noel Divine would be a nightmare in the open field for many defenses.

(7)Lazarius Levingston DE/DT LSU
I wanted to add depth to the defensive line with contracts coming up and injury concerns this player can help with defensive rotations.

(7) Ray Dominguez G Arkansas
Adding more lineman to keep Aaron Rogers upright and watching this guy for quite a bit this past season he is nasty like you want your offensive lineman to be.

Last edited:
I will make the Cincinnati selection at the 10 am est deadline unless the Cicny GM comes online before that time.

thank you lol

I have been waiting patiently all morning to make my final pick. :)

Where do you get that Vereen is a cut back runner?

Just a bit from NFLDraftScout.com
Possesses very good lateral agility and balance to elude, but is a surprisingly efficient north/south runner who attacks the line of scrimmage. Good burst to and through the hole. Very good vision for cutback lanes as he gets to the second level. Elusive ballcarrier with an explosive burst to accelerate and gain yardage in chunks.

So, I am corrected.. He's a north/south runner with good vision for the cutbacks.. and that puts him as a good pick for the Pats.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you know Irish Hooligan as soon as you make the Cleveland pick I have PM's for the next 2 selections. I will post the next 3 selections if Irish Hooligan is not online before the deadline time.

Last edited:
Here is the final tally for the Titans Draft:

1st: Robert Quinn - DE - With Jason Babin, Derrick Morgan, and Dave Ball already on the team, there won't be a ton of pressure on Quinn to step in to a starting role right away.

2nd: Phil Taylor - DT - Will team with SenDerrick Marks and Tony Brown to form a deadly 3 man rotation. With this revamped D-line, there will be even more pressure on Peyton Manning.

3rd: Quan Sturdivant - MLB - Former QB and Safety who moved to LB as a freshman and excelled due to a great work ethic. Should be a leader on this defense by the end of the year.

4th (a): Greg McElroy - QB - The Titans have a new coach and a new QB philosophy. With that, comes a mobile pocket QB in McElroy. Unless things go horribly wrong with Chris Simms and Todd Collins, McElroy will get at least a year to develop.

4th (b): Richard Sherman - CB/FS - He showed a lot at the Senior Bowl, lining up at CB. The hope is that he'll replace Chris Hope at FS by the end of the year.

5th : Mike Person - G - Montana State - The Titans need more depth at the O-line. Person has the drive to stick on the team..

6th : Da'Rel Scott - RB - Maryland - You can never have enough good RBs. Chris Johnson is the man. Javon Ringer, not so much. Scott will push Stafon Johnson to step up..

7th (a) : Byron Stingily - OT Louisville - Stingily is a long shot to make the team, but does provide versatility at OT and OG. And the Titans were hurting on OG last year.

7th (b) : Kris Adams - WR - UTEP - Adams has a rare combination of height and speed. Adams had 47 receptions for 1070 yards (22.8 YPC). He also tallied 14 TDs for the Miners. What helped him fall to the 7th round was UTEP's passing game falling off as the season progressed and the level of competition that UTEP faced in Conference USA. The Titans feel they have a steal in the draft with Adams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference