PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
a short list of players I'd be looking at in FA next year if I were GM

RB - Michael Bush - big power back that never got to shine in Oakland. Good pass protector. Can grind out short yardage or break a big run. Would probably be good value, as he won't be getting a huge contract anywhere. With McFadden having somewhat of a breakout year, Bush wont be a priority in oakland.

FB/RB - LeRon McClain - best FB in the league, can also play RB. Wont be staying in BMore since they have Rice and McGahee already.

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - seems like a good fit

CB - Champ Bailey - He isnt the best CB in the league anymore, but he's still pretty damn good and would offer some much needed experience in our secondary.

CB - Ike Taylor - big physical CB. He'll probably re-sign with Pitts though.

CB - Ellis Hobbs - he's better than Butler and Wilhite are right now, and he knows the system.

WR - Vincent Jackson - if youre going to spend that Moss-type Money, Id rather put it towards someone who is hungrier and younger. Hes gonna come back with a huge chip on his shoulder next year and he's great at catching the deep ball

WR - Santana Moss - Obviously not on Randys level of stretching a defense, but he can go deep (unlike any of our current receivers except maybe Tate)

that's pretty much it. The rest of our needs, I'd look for in the Draft considering we have 3 Picks that will be within the Top 36

Last edited:
FTR - theres a list of 2011 FA's over at footballsfuture.com. It's a couple weeks outdated (still says Guytons a FA even though we re-signed him already) but itll give you a good idea of whats available next year and what isnt.

a short list of players I'd be looking at in FA next year if I were GM

RB - Michael Bush - big power back that never got to shine in Oakland. Good pass protector. Can grind out short yardage or break a big run. Would probably be good value, as he won't be getting a huge contract anywhere. With McFadden having somewhat of a breakout year, Bush wont be a priority in oakland.

I think we're going RB somewhere in the draft. But Bush is an intriguing option. Personally, I would be surprised if Oakland didn't re-sign him to go along with McFadden.

FB/RB - LeRon McClain - best FB in the league, can also play RB. Wont be staying in BMore since they have Rice and McGahee already.

I'd be interested. This team is in bad need of a fullback to help revive the running game.

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - seems like a good fit

He's a very good RB, but I'd be shocked if he didn't get re-signed by New York.

CB - Champ Bailey - He isnt the best CB in the league anymore, but he's still pretty damn good and would offer some much needed experience in our secondary.

In a New York minute.

CB - Ike Taylor - big physical CB. He'll probably re-sign with Pitts though.

No, thank you.

CB - Ellis Hobbs - he's better than Butler and Wilhite are right now, and he knows the system.

Should have never let him go in the first place. I wouldn't mind seeing Ellis back. Top notch kick returner and a dependable presence at quarterback.

WR - Vincent Jackson - if youre going to spend that Moss-type Money, Id rather put it towards someone who is hungrier and younger. Hes gonna come back with a huge chip on his shoulder next year and he's great at catching the deep ball

If we're not bringing back Moss and looking for a high priced replacement for him, I don't see why not. Jackson is a premier in the league right now and would be a great replacement for Moss in free agency.

WR - Santana Moss - Obviously not on Randys level of stretching a defense, but he can go deep (unlike any of our current receivers except maybe Tate)

No, thank you.

what free agents?? who..Haynesworth?..besides...everybody wants to play for the Jest

I would sign stevie wonder before ellis hobbs

Of that list, I'd love to see Michael Bush in New England. He's an excellent passing down back for a big guy. Bradshaw, in the other hand, can stay in NY. I forgot where I saw the stats, but IIRC he drops a lot of passes and is a severe liability in pass protection. I'd be intrigued with Joseph Addai as well. There's a chance that Indy doesn't bring him back.

On defense, Shaun Ellis would make a nice vet addition to the D-line and would help fuel that Pats/Jets rivalry.

I would absolutely love to see the Pats pry Tamba Hali or Chad Greenway, but they're almost certainly getting franchised.

I wanted the Pats to make a play on Richard Marshal last offseason. He'd be a great starter opposite McCourty and is a solid special teamer too. A CB trio of McCourty, Marshal and Bodden would excite me to no end.

OLB types
Tamba Hali, KC
Chris Kelsay, Buffalo
Cliff Avril, Detroit
Manny Lawson, SF

Clearly the Patriots need to draft OLB's. However, they need two starters. It's not obvious anyone on the roster is suited to be a starter. Tabbing a free agent is important as well.

OLB types
Tamba Hali, KC
Chris Kelsay, Buffalo
Cliff Avril, Detroit
Manny Lawson, SF

Clearly the Patriots need to draft OLB's. However, they need two starters. It's not obvious anyone on the roster is suited to be a starter. Tabbing a free agent is important as well.

Kelsay is retiring a Bill as he signed an extension last week, and Hali is KC's best (and only) pass rushing threat so there's no way Pioli lets him go. Avril seems like Burgess v2.0 which is something I don't want. Lawson seems like the most logical on this list, but I think San Fran runs a 1-gap 3-4 so I have no idea if he'd do well here.

FWIW, I would LOVE to see us sign McClain, but I have no idea how BB wants to go about getting RBs (aside from the draft). By this I mean does he want to sign best available, or sign another aging committee type RB like when we signed Taylor last year?

Can someone please tell me what V Jackson has done to warrant being called great and better than Moss? Moss has PRODUCED year after year with the Patriots and has earned praise by Brady and Belichick. You all seem to want to see him go and I ask WHY.

Secondly, let's not forget that we have Bodden coming back next year and pairing him with McCourty seems like a decent pair to me. Throw in others and seems like a deep, talented and young group.

We need to find a RB, DE and OLB in this year's draft/FA class. Many o you have fallen off Belichick's "bandwagon" but not me. He is still the best in the game and he will find the right pieces.

Go Pats!

DeAngelo Williams is a free agent next year.

In my book, Randy Moss would be 1 with Logan Mankins 1A

RB - Ahmad Bradshaw - seems like a good fit - He's going to get big money next year if he keeps playing well. I wouldn't mind him on the team, but a RBs life span isn't that long either. I still would like to draft one who could produce right away

CB - Champ Bailey - He isnt the best CB in the league anymore, but he's still pretty damn good and would offer some much needed experience in our secondary. - I would like to see Bodden and Bailey on the same team, especially if we don't sign a pass rusher for the 483489th year in a row, but I dont see this happening. Especially with the crew of young CBs we have coming up. It would really hamper their progress by not giving them the experience they need.

CB - Ellis Hobbs - he's better than Butler and Wilhite are right now, and he knows the system. - This would cause patfans.com to crash after all the negative Hobbs threads that get bumped up from 2 years ago

Last edited:

If the Pats have their eyes on Mark Ingram w/ the Raiders pick, I'd like to see McClain opening holes for him. A backfield of Brady/Ingram/McClain/Faulk next season would control the clock.

McClain would still be a welcome addition even if Ingram isn't the target, as it appears that the RB position will be seriously addressed somehow.

Side note: RB coach Fears did privately work out McClain pre-draft, so there may still be some Pats interest remaining.

If the Pats have their eyes on Mark Ingram w/ the Raiders pick, I'd like to see McClain opening holes for him. A backfield of Brady/Ingram/McClain/Faulk next season would control the clock.

McClain would still be a welcome addition even if Ingram isn't the target, as it appears that the RB position will be seriously addressed somehow.

Side note: RB coach Fears did privately work out McClain pre-draft, so there may still be some Pats interest remaining.

Just the thought of the Pats getting Mark Ingram makes my you no what hard.

Ingram isnt worth a Top 10 pick.

No RB is unless it's AP, LT, CJ type of game changing talent.

Ingram is a solid back, but he's not an elite talent.

Ingram isnt worth a Top 10 pick.

No RB is unless it's AP, LT, CJ type of game changing talent.

Ingram is a solid back, but he's not an elite talent.

You must not watch much college football.:rolleyes: Ingram is as big of a stud as advertised.

F L.T.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results