PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2011 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to get Asomugha here, I wanted him here when his last contract was up but the franchise tag stopped that and if he joined now, the CB position would been one of the best in the league.

But like with Juluis Peppers, I highly doubt it happens. With Mankins, Light and BJGE to deal with. The Pats will focus on resigning them first and after that, Asomugha will probably be off the market because you know some stupid owner will throw a huge amount of money at him like Washington but now it's confirmed he's going to be a UFA, I can hope the Pats make the move.

I would love to get Asomugha here, I wanted him here when his last contract was up but the franchise tag stopped that and if he joined now, the CB position would been one of the best in the league.

But like with Juluis Peppers, I highly doubt it happens. With Mankins, Light and BJGE to deal with. The Pats will focus on resigning them first and after that, Asomugha will probably be off the market because you know some stupid owner will throw a huge amount of money at him like Washington but now it's confirmed he's going to be a UFA, I can hope the Pats make the move.
Doodle head Snyder is going to throw 20 million per season at Nnamdi. It's science.

If Bodden comes back next season in full health, we're not going to need Asomugha in New England.*

* Of course I realize that any team could always use a CB the caliber of Nmandi. But we don't really need him for what it would cost us.

I am perfectly happy with McCourty and Bodden on the outside, and either Arrington, Butler, or Wilhite as the 3rd 4th 5th DB's. Use the money on Mankins, Light and whoever else...

In addition to "that one guy", I'm also hearing that "this guy" may be available for trade. I hope the front office is doing their homework on this one. We can't afford to sit on our hands this time around.

In addition to "that one guy", I'm also hearing that "this guy" may be available for trade. I hope the front office is doing their homework on this one. We can't afford to sit on our hands this time around.

Do you really think the Pats would make a serious push for Nhamdi?

As opposed to 2010? The New England Patriots have six draft picks in the first three rounds, two in each round. Re-sign Light and Mankins and the team should be fine with the 2011 NFL draft pick additions.

As opposed to 2010? The New England Patriots have six draft picks in the first three rounds, two in each round. Re-sign Light and Mankins and the team should be fine with the 2011 NFL draft pick additions.

As usual NE took the long range view into account in planning for the pitfalls of an expiring CBA. The one given is there will be a 2011 draft. If there is a lockout there will be NO FA and NO PLAYER TRADES until there is a new CBA (or unless the union decertifies - which is why they would, to keep players earning and moving - and the league continues to operate albeit under the work rules implemented by ownership based on their last best CBA offer to the union). Peter King referenced that in relation to Tebow (who cannot be traded at the during a lockout even if someone else wanted him and Denver determined it didn't). And in relation to Nnamdi who is effectively unemployed today and can't be signed by any other team for the forseeable future (unless a lockout is averted which will conversely mean a new salary cap effectively limiting his suitors). King further said that the league is working on a plan to potentially ditch FA in 2011 altogether if a work stoppage extends into the late summer, pre season or early season. Rather than then have boatloads of pent up FA hit the market under a new salary cap (and there will be one in any deal and it will be slower growing if not slightly reduced from earlier projections based on the 2006 CBA) they may propose that all FA return to their team of record in 2010 for 2011 under a one time salary bump postponing FA altogether until 2012...

Gonna really suck for fantasy scenario posters like DW if that happens...

But the good news is the NEP will be fine...

Last edited:
Rather than then have boatloads of pent up FA hit the market under a new salary cap (and there will be one in any deal and it will be slower growing if not slightly reduced from earlier projections based on the 2006 CBA) they may propose that all FA return to their team of record in 2010 for 2011 under a one time salary bump postponing FA altogether until 2012...
If the aforementioned scenario holds up, the 2011 New England Patriots will be in very good position with the return of Light and Mankins for another season. I still can foresee the New England Patriots selecting an offensive guard and an offensive tackle in the first three rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.

Gonna really suck for fantasy scenario posters like DW if that happens...
The 2009 New Orleans Saints were built thru the draft and free agency, not thru trading draft picks for players. Maybe the Dave Thomas trade warped DW's mind?

But the good news is the NEP will be fine...
Especially if the 2011 New England Patriots start rebuilding the offensive line with the long term replacement for Neal. (For example, Mike Pouncey from Florida with the 64th selection in the 2011 NFL Draft)

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

NFL Draft Scout----Powered By: The Sports Xchange

Long-term replacement for Neal? He has played only 1/2 of this year and 1/2 of last. He shares a position with Connolly

With regard to Pouncey (and Weisniewski for that matter), I don't them available at 64. If we want our guard or center, I think that we will need to draft him in the first 50 picks.

.Especially if the 2011 New England Patriots start rebuilding the offensive line with the long term replacement for Neal. (For example, Mike Pouncey from Florida with the 64th selection in the 2011 NFL Draft)

Most of the key players on that super bowl team, were traded for or picked up in FA. You have Vilma, Shockey who were traded for, Sharper, Greer, Brees who were free agent signings.

Most of the key players on that super bowl team, were traded for or picked up in FA. You have Vilma, Shockey who were traded for, Sharper, Greer, Brees who were free agent signings.

That's 5 of 22 starters. 2/3rds of the offense was drafted or signed as UDFA's by NO and about half of the defense was.

Bush, Thomas, Colston, Henderson, Meachum, 4/5ths of the OL...and most of the starting DL...

2009 New Orleans Saints Starters, Roster, & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Took a while to build around the handful of FA (many of whom were second tier players or reclamation projects at the time) they did acquire like Brees who was essentially nabbed off the damaged goods scrap heap for real reasonable money as a result. Shockey was almost dumped after his first season there.

Stop, STOP right now, don't encourage Nephew Toys. :nono:

Word out of that one football team also has "these guys" being up for trade. With six picks in the first three rounds, I don't think we should be sitting on our hands.

Word out of that one football team also has "these guys" being up for trade. With six picks in the first three rounds, I don't think we should be sitting on our hands.
Oh, I get it now! ;)

Long-term replacement for Neal? He has played only 1/2 of this year and 1/2 of last. He shares a position with Connolly

With regard to Pouncey (and Weisniewski for that matter), I don't them available at 64. If we want our guard or center, I think that we will need to draft him in the first 50 picks.
The New England Patriots could trade down from #33 and select an offensive guard within the first 50 picks. Not the first time the New England Patriots organization has traded down in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft.

Larry Fitzgerald Anyone?

Guy's a free agent I think, and I can't believe he's happy with the QB situation in Arizona.

Now, I don't want him to be another Moss. I love the balance we have with the TEs and Branch/Welker, we just need a No 1 receiver. Like a better version of David Patten, or you could say a more balanced Randy Moss (as in he can do more than just stretch the field).

What do you guys think?

Re: Larry Fitzgerald Anyone?

Guy's a free agent I think, and I can't believe he's happy with the QB situation in Arizona.

Now, I don't want him to be another Moss. I love the balance we have with the TEs and Branch/Welker, we just need a No 1 receiver. Like a better version of David Patten, or you could say a more balanced Randy Moss (as in he can do more than just stretch the field).

What do you guys think?

i would love larry fitgerald, but i think that is more of a panic move. the pats need to address the pass rush first. we could have won last night if sanchez were afraid of getting hit but he wasn't because their o line did a solid job. a guy like peppers would have been more valuable - but the pats chose to pay a guy like moss that money at the beginning of the season instead. they should have dumped moss over the summer instead of the middle of the season - they would have freed up money for peppers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes