SOURCE:Providence Journal

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

2011 Free Agent "Let's Sign This Guy" Thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by drew4008, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Wall of Fame Member

Ratings:
    +7,902
    Thats the same as asking him to play for the vet minimum.
    The guy just handed back 16.8 mill and the biggest cb contract in the NFL, and you expect him to sign for Leigh Bodden money? Come on.

2. CheeseMonkeys

CheeseMonkeys 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +48
    Yes, we need some more people because Demo Man is boring the hell out of me.;)

3. JackBauer

JackBauer Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +7,687
    Not. Going. To happen.

4. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,900
    I'd take him, but at no more than $8M or so a year. I want Wilfork to remain the highest paid defender on the team.

5. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,035
    I don't think he gave back that money with the expectation he'd make more. It'd be different if the Jets had caved on Revis, but it's clear to everyone that Raiders deal was an outlier.

The franchise figure for corners was around $9.5M, so $7M isn't peanuts, especially if we're willing to guarantee a large portion of it.

Again, I'm not saying it's likely, just that if he's serious about winning, we should investigate it no matter how unlikely.

6. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,404
    The labor agreement is relevant, especially if the DB is not making things up and the owners are looking to cut the cap by 10-20%.

Randy Moss and Corey Dillon were both 30 years old in their first season with the Patriots. Asomugha will be thirty in 2011. Also NA is by all account a high character player, something Moss and Dillon were not.

Once again without knowing what it will cost you can't put a value on it in terms of production versus cost. You can speculate on what the cost will be but you don't know. Declining a minimum of $16.8 million salary for one year is a clear indication that his decision won't be solely based on money.

I have no idea whether or not the Patriots will pursue NA but then again neither do any of you saying that they won't. People who think they know how BB thinks in terms of player evaluation are wrong more often than right.

7. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,780

I have no doubt that Asomugha is going to expect to be paid in the double digit millions.. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4 year, 52-72 million contract tossed at him with about 30-40 mill in guarantees and Signing bonus. And I just don't see the Pats doing that. Sorry.. Not when they have McCourty and Bodden there.. And Bodden they just invested in..

It's amazing how people have ignored the fact that Asomugha demanded TV and Radio time as part of his last contract as if that is nothing..

8. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,861
    Sure if you're willing to pay top QB money for a CB, than Asomugha is in the realm of possibility. If we're going to pay out top dollar, I'd rather target Ngata. He would be a beast on this Pats DL.

9. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,902
    Moss and Dillon were acquired cheaply, at about the cost of an average player.
    Not sure what you mean by the bolder statement, but feel free to actually refute any part of my analysis of how BB has operate with something more than a rhetorical coverall that ignores the facts.

10. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,902
    Also I am not sure how a 30 year old player considered the best at his position passing on a 1 year contract to cash in on a long term deal is a clear indication that its not about money.

11. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,902
    I'd rather spend it on Mankins, Light, and a few other value guys and continue building a well rounded team than end up having 1/3 of our cap tied up in Brady and Nnamdi.

12. Armchair Quarterback

Ratings:
    +1,404
    They were also acquired through trades and therefore already under contract so they are not really good comps for Asomugha.

What facts are you referring to? Please name these facts. A fact is not your interpretation of something.

13. convertedpatsfan

convertedpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6,035
    I expect you're right, but until we know for sure, we should inquire is all.

I've been looking around and haven't found any info on the TV/radio stuff. I just remember being in such shock over the ridiculousness of the contract numbers that I didn't really comb through it.

14. Ring 6

Ratings:
    +7,902
    YOU were the one that used them as comparison to Asomugha, I isolated them as examples of players whose cost was low compared to their ability (as perceived by BB). Both were considered damaged goods, over the hill and coming off career worst seasons.

The facts are the actual acquisitions BB has made.

If you are going to dispute my analysis and opinion, show which facts contradict it, dont just throw out a rhetorical comment that has nothing to do with the actual analysis, which is what you did.

15. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,861
    After watching Chiefs-Ravens, I'm convinced. Get Hali please! Bring the dumptruck full of money and bring it right to his backyard! The guy is a real disruptive force playing in a 3-4 defense.

16. Armchair Quarterback

Ratings:
    +1,404
    I dispute it when people on this board thing they are in Belichick's head and think without a doubt they know what he will do. If Asomugha is looking for a $70 million dollar contract than he won't get that from the Pats. If he wants to play for a winning team and is willing to sign an affordable contract than you have to consider him.

17. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,731
    One positive thing about Asomugha being a free agent and potentially getting a new blockbuster deal is Revis' contract is unofficially up after next season (he has already gone on record unless he gets a new deal, he would hold out again after the 2011 season). This will likely drive up Revis' price. The Jets might want to approach Revis right after the season and do a new deal before Asomugha resets the market again.

18. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +17,731

I think he will be franchised, but I would love to get him.

19. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,491
    I agree. Let's re-sign Mankins and Light. Let's re-sign Warren, Moore and Page. Let's tender (highly) Green-Ellis (or sign him to a long-term deal). Let's extend Welker. THEN, let's review our cap situation and consider free agents from other teams.

Curiously, that is the way the nfl schedules its calendar, the Belichick way. FIRST, we make decisions on our own players, including franchise tags and RFA tenders. THEN free agency begins.

As is the norm for Belichick, I do not expect to see him paying huge bucks for a free agent. Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way. I'm fine with the one big pick up once in awhile (Dillon, Colvin, Thomas, Moss, Bodden), but these are not the norm.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  20. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,264
    The Saints say howdy. What are you thinking?
    DW Toys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.