PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

1985 AFCDG WTF... DS??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember during the build-up for SB20 that either Filene's or Jordan Marsh downtown continuously ran all 3 PO games on a TV that was placed in the middle of a big Pats display on the first floor. People here were really, really psyched-up for our first Super Bowl appearance back then.

That 85 team will always be special to me.

I totally remember convincing myself they were going to beat the Bears.

Back then I was an optimist, young and in love.

Jesus.

That 85 team will always be special to me.

I totally remember convincing myself they were going to beat the Bears.

Back then I was an optimist, young and in love.

Jesus.

"15 turnovers forced in the playoffs, is that a lot? That's totally normal, isn't it?"

The Raiders QB situation that year was... let's just say... not good.
Marc Wilson looked like he was going to puke on the sideline after the Pats took the lead.

And then the Pats signed him a few years later during the dark times (TM). Oof.

Regards,
Chris

"15 turnovers forced in the playoffs, is that a lot? That's totally normal, isn't it?"
No kidding. It has to be some kind of record.

...and the SB started out with Sweetness fumbling and NE recovering too. Quick FG up 3-0. It was destiny I kept telling my 14 year old self.

"The Bears played a weaker schedule"

"Our pass defense is better"

"We beat MIA in MIA and the Bears couldn't"

Jesus....

...and the SB started out with Sweetness fumbling and NE recovering too. Quick FG up 3-0. It was destiny I kept telling my 14 year old self.

Jesus....
Willie Gault goes in motion away from Clayborn to Lippett and blows by him for a 50yd gain. Does the exact same thing later in the game.

Just awful football played by our team that day.

Regards,
Chris

Jesus....

Yeah, I was convinced destiny was smiling down on that fumble. I still think she was but did not realize she had a drunken day out with the girls and proceeded to vomit all over the pats that night....

Was is Chuck or Pat talking trash to Millen?
m11ofwmxgowy.jpg

We've come a long way.

EDIT: never mind, I see it was already posted by @Joker . My bad.

Jesus....

I tried to be as positive as you but it was difficult after they shut the Pats down during the season. The Pats only made it across the 50 once, and that was on a 75 yard TD run by Craig James.

Like you I just re-watched that great AFC title run leading up to that SB. It was incredible.

Some highlights;

How many times do we see the kickoff team score a TD? Once a decade? We saw the Pats do that in consecutive playoff games, though the Jonny Rembert one vs the Jets should have been called down by contact on the recovery. The Raiders' Sammy Seale had 3 fumbles on kickoffs, including the one that was recovered in the endzone to give the Pats the lead for good.

No Ben Dreith meant no blatant calls in favor of the Raiders.

I missed the replays on penalties as well as the scoreboard and time on the screen.

I noticed that in 1985 that was the first Pat/Jets playoff game and that the Jets had a 29-21-1 record all-time vs the Pats. B&B fixed that,

How about Merlin Olsen emphasizing the do your job mantra during the Phins game? He sounded like Belichick when he described the problem when teams get behind and players try to do more than their job.

Raymond Berry was Belichick-like with his emphasis on all phases of the game.

Fred Marion and Ronnie Lippett were beasts on defense and Jim Bowman had a great run on ST's.

The Raiders were crybabies even back then. Nothing has changed with them other than their lack of success.

Up until that run the Pats last playoff game was in 1963 and their last win in Miami was in 1966 (18 games).

Mark Gastinole was the original look at me celebrator.

I remember during the build-up for SB20 that either Filene's or Jordan Marsh downtown continuously ran all 3 PO games on a TV that was placed in the middle of a big Pats display on the first floor. People here were really, really psyched-up for our first Super Bowl appearance back then.
I was hoping, praying that Berry would shock the world (and especially the Bears) and start Grogan. Aside from earning it, Steve was the single biggest reason we were there, was by far the best quarterback on either team, was the true NFL MVP in 1985 and gave us our best chance to shock the world and win the game.

My only other shot was if Tony broke his ankle tripping off the team bus to the Superdome.

I wanted to win that damn game.

That whole season was special right from the start of training camp.

Meanwhile, Robert Kraft was busy wishing Red had fled to the Knicks allowing him to buy the Celtics from John Y. Brown in 1979, so he could destroy their uniforms, celebrate mediocrity and make Joe Barry Carroll the highest paid player in the NBA, comparing him to Bobby Orr and Ted Williams, in a failed effort to steal the Patriots' thunder during Super Bowl week.

...Up until that run the Pats last playoff game was in 1963 and their last win in Miami was in 1966 (18 games)...
Don't forget the 1978 home loss to the Houston Oilers, in what would be Chuck Fairbanks' last game. Damn shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back