PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

19-0 this season or non-undefeated SBs this & next season?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

19-0 this season or non-undefeated SBs this & next season?

• 19-0

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • non-undefeated SBs this year and next.

Votes: 46 55.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 > 1

At some point in time, several teams will pull off undefeated seasons. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened with multiple teams in recent memory starting out 12-0 or 13-0. 2015 Panthers, 2011 Packers, 2009 Colts, and 2007 Patriots all come to mind. The Colts threw away an undefeated regular season on purpose (wtf!)
and still didn't win the superbowl.

the only thing that makes this close is the "three peat" possibility, if it were not 3 consecutive superbowls, I'd easily take 19-0 over 2 more SB wins, because a team wins the SB every year, but not team, ever, has gone 19-0, and only one team, ever, has gone 16-0 (including SB)

the three peats complicatets things because no team ever has won 3 in a row...i'd prob still choose 19-0, but it wouldn't be as easy
Good points.

you think at balt and hou is soft? Next 6 games are all not going to be easy and pats could lose to any of them

I mean overall. They have some reasonably tough games but I don't consider Baltimore or Houston very dangerous. I think more than anything they are the result of a fairly weak AFC. As for KC it depends on how healthy Mahomes is. We will see. I 100% believe Dallas are frauds and 1 good game won't change my mind on that. I stated why I believe that several times. And so won't here. As for the Eagles... that could be tough but we'll see.

Baltimore - They've beaten the Dolphins, Cardinals, Bengals, Steelers (with a 3rd string QB) and Seattle. They lost to KC and the Browns. I give them little credit for 4 of their wins. Besides the Dolphins in week 1 they barely beat many of those other bottom feeding teams. Their best win was last week at Seattle. While that is a good win I don't judge them by one game. I also highly devalue week 1 games in certain instances. They are often a crap shoot. I really devalue this week 1 game. Overall the other 5 games are likely a closer approximation to the team they are, which is a middle of the pack team. A team that barely beat bad teams and lost to KC and the Browns (the final score in KC was close but in reality it wasn't)

Houston - They are 4-3 and deserve to be. They are a fairly inconsistent team. I think they are better than Baltimore but not by much. They played the Saints tight week 1 and I don't devalue that week 1 performance as it fits with their up and down team. Their best win was @ KC but I don't think that was all that impressive in retrospect. It was a good win but clearly KC is an offensively based team and a gimpy Mahomes ruins a lot of what they lean on.

Beating the Jags and Chargers by a combined 8 points shows they play down to their competition at times and have consistency issues. Beating the Falcons like they did was good. That is what good teams should do to bad teams. Still, being scored on like that isn't ideal.

Losing to Carolina and Indy isn't so great. Particularly their offense in that Carolina game. For an offensive based team a home loss like that should make you worried. As for their loss to the Colts, I just don't believe the Colts are all that good. That's a game a good team should be able to win. The Colts before that game was 3-2 vs a bunch of meh teams and an injured KC team. I don't see going .500 vs 9-18 schedule and then beating a very injured KC team. the bench mark for being a quality team.

Long story short Houston's best game was actually their week 1 loss IMO oddly enough.

I voted 19-0 under the assumption that smug prick Shula would still be alive. I would love to see the dagger as he witnessed it.

I mean overall. They have some reasonably tough games but I don't consider Baltimore or Houston very dangerous. I think more than anything they are the result of a fairly weak AFC. As for KC it depends on how healthy Mahomes is. We will see. I 100% believe Dallas are frauds and 1 good game won't change my mind on that. I stated why I believe that several times. And so won't here. As for the Eagles... that could be tough but we'll see.

Baltimore - They've beaten the Dolphins, Cardinals, Bengals, Steelers (with a 3rd string QB) and Seattle. They lost to KC and the Browns. I give them little credit for 4 of their wins. Besides the Dolphins in week 1 they barely beat many of those other bottom feeding teams. Their best win was last week at Seattle. While that is a good win I don't judge them by one game. I also highly devalue week 1 games in certain instances. They are often a crap shoot. I really devalue this week 1 game. Overall the other 5 games are likely a closer approximation to the team they are, which is a middle of the pack team. A team that barely beat bad teams and lost to KC and the Browns (the final score in KC was close but in reality it wasn't)

Houston - They are 4-3 and deserve to be. They are a fairly inconsistent team. I think they are better than Baltimore but not by much. They played the Saints tight week 1 and I don't devalue that week 1 performance as it fits with their up and down team. Their best win was @ KC but I don't think that was all that impressive in retrospect. It was a good win but clearly KC is an offensively based team and a gimpy Mahomes ruins a lot of what they lean on.

Beating the Jags and Chargers by a combined 8 points shows they play down to their competition at times and have consistency issues. Beating the Falcons like they did was good. That is what good teams should do to bad teams. Still, being scored on like that isn't ideal.

Losing to Carolina and Indy isn't so great. Particularly their offense in that Carolina game. For an offensive based team a home loss like that should make you worried. As for their loss to the Colts, I just don't believe the Colts are all that good. That's a game a good team should be able to win. The Colts before that game was 3-2 vs a bunch of meh teams and an injured KC team. I don't see going .500 vs 9-18 schedule and then beating a very injured KC team. the bench mark for being a quality team.

Long story short Houston's best game was actually their week 1 loss IMO oddly enough.

come on. The "who looks good 1/2 way thru regular season test"... well I mean, I can't knock it, it's what fan stuff is made out of, what else would we post about? But think about the huge relief when we found out we'd be facing the "backed into the playoffs" Gintz in 2007-8. More than losing the perfect season, I was pissed that we lost it to a 9-7 team... after I had seen the Pats miss the playoffs multiple times at 10-6... and was about to see us miss at 11-5... But I digress lol.

I just can't read these things the same way anymore, nothing is ever what it seems. And this is from a guy who follows the closest thing to a sure thing in the NFL. (like all of us lol)

If the Pats go 19-0 that will be a 24-game winning streak. I don’t really have a point to make, but man, that’s a lot of games in a row to win.

7 Super Bowl victories and beyond has not been done ... so I voted that way.

I want both, obviously!

to echo what others have touched on, I think at this point 19-0 would be such a special capstone to the Brady era that I had to vote for that - I’m not sure I’d feel that much different about 8 vs 7 SB wins (other than 8 is more, of course). But since we’re not talking 4 vs 3 or even 5 vs 4 anymore, man **** it go full legend.

A 3 peat is pretty special too, no doubt. But it doesn’t move the needle for me in the same way undefeated does.

*knocks all available wood*

Why think small

38-0

+2

upload_2019-10-25_21-32-8.jpeg

Wow, this is a close one. Hopefully one of these 2 outcomes can happen or better yet..both.
Through 7 games this team feels like the inverse of the 2007 Patriots. The defense is playing like the GOAT defense, while the offense is good but with the potential to be very good or great by the end of the season.

2 > 1

At some point in time, several teams will pull off undefeated seasons. I’m surprised it hasn’t happened with multiple teams in recent memory starting out 12-0 or 13-0. 2015 Panthers, 2011 Packers, 2009 Colts, and 2007 Patriots all come to mind. The Colts threw away an undefeated regular season on purpose (wtf!)

I think you are underestimating how difficult an
undefeated season really is. Everything has to align perfectly for about 20 weeks and a lot of that is out of your hand (schedule, health..) or affected by noise (ball not bouncing your way kinda situations).

Winning a SB gives me a ton of joy as a NFL and NEP football fan who follows the league and team very closely each day.

I would not give up 1 title for an undefeated season.

I just can't see this team winning all its games. That takes a tremendous amount of luck and also pressure. Honestly, I am hoping they go 5-3 or 6-2 the next 8 games!

Also, to those grammar people, is the question actually a double negative?

At this point I am looking at the legacy of the team, BB and TB. We have done basically everything else a team could accomplish.

In the modern era football the undefeated season (1972 Dolphins) and three peat ('65, '66, and '67 Packers) have both been done, but folks will always remember the '72 Dolphins as being a special team. Some saying they are greatest of all time, which is not the case imo.

Purest will remember that the Packers had a three peat in the mid 60's but they are more known for being a great team that won 5 titles in 7 years ('61-'67) as oppose to the three peat.

Also the 19-0 will allow folks to say that this version of the Pats were the greatest of all time for an individual year. If the Pats pull the three peat folks are saying this about any of these three years.

So between the two give my the 19-0 all day long. 19-0 will be more rewarding and more remembered than a three peat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes