PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

13 Seconds

I feel like there's no superlatives to capture just how great Josh Allen has been since the second Patriots game. Or you might just say, when Josh Allen is playing at his highest level, he is at a historically high level. I don't know if I've ever seen a guy who can so thoroughly dominate a defense on his own. I'm usually skeptical of QBs who run too much, but Allen pretty much always runs when he should run and not just as a bail out option.
when his game is on, he's a beast... Would put him just behind mahomes in terms of being able to control a game when they are on target... Different styles of play though... Allen is almost like a young roethlisberger, but with better running ability... He's better then BR but thats who he reminds me of... Mahomes, he reminds me of a younger russell wilson for some reason...

McDermott cost them the game.

The should have kicked it short, no doubt... but a squib kick? im not so sure about using an actual squib kick there though... the chance of something going wrong with the squib leaves them in a real bad spot, regardless of how much time was left, all things considered... a kick to the 5 or 10 yard line would have been my preference... almost a corner kick, but not so far outside the hashmarks it has the chance to go oob before being downed...

The should have kicked it short, no doubt... but a squib kick? im not so sure about using an actual squib kick there though... the chance of something going wrong with the squib leaves them in a real bad spot, regardless of how much time was left, all things considered... a kick to the 5 or 10 yard line would have been my preference... almost a corner kick, but not so far outside the hashmarks it has the chance to go oob before being downed...
The idea is to use up every possible second, squib kick does that the best.

Things can go wrong either way.

If you don't have confidence in your team to execute these kinds of plays, you don't belong in the divisional round.

The Bills squibbed with a lead and then the Music City Miracle happened.

They kicked deep, and then 13 Seconds happened.

Maybe the X-Files writers back in the day were onto something.

the-buffalo-bills-will-never-win-a-super-bowl-not-in-my-lifetime.jpg

The idea is to use up every possible second, squib kick does that the best.

Things can go wrong either way.

If you don't have confidence in your team to execute these kinds of plays, you don't belong in the divisional round.
Just seems like everyone jumped on the squib kick because of romos comment on the broadcast... Maybe it is just that which bothers me about the squid kick idea... A deep kick and short return could burn a bunch of seconds off just as well

Yeah, there are so many ways they could have solved this puzzle, if there were operating brains left on the field or sideline. This is one of them. Just surround the guy, guard the sideline, appeal to his football instincts to get more YAC, and keep backing up as he keeps probing for another yard. He's going to be thinking about getting into field goal range first and foremost. It'll be at least 3 more seconds before he figures it out and give himself up as down.

Just an amazing display of a lack of situational awareness, and one place where the Pats apparently still have a huge advantage.

Making Buffalo's decision more confounding is that they took a timeout before the first play of that drive and another after Hill picked up 19 on first down (KC had already taken a TO after Hill was tackled). They took the steps you would want a team to take to make sure they had the right defense called and everyone was on the same page. Then they allowed KC to pick up 44 yards on two consecutive plays while only using 10 seconds. Maybe they were overly concerned about giving up a another long TD to Hill and outsmarted themselves.

The growing pantheon of Prairie Cows catchphrases:

Wide right!

13 seconds

Why no squib?!

Table time!

Who gots da bildo?

Fifth time's a charm ... maybe ... someday

Last edited:
Kelce could have just given himself up though

Yup, but I'd bet that if they surrounded him and gave him an easy 5 yards going forward, he'd have taken it, just from the adrenaline and focus on getting field goal position. It would have taken another 3-4 seconds for his brain to kick in.

Yup, but I'd bet that if they surrounded him and gave him an easy 5 yards going forward, he'd have taken it, just from the adrenaline and focus on getting field goal position. It would have taken another 3-4 seconds for his brain to kick in.
Yep, definitely possible. Pretty much any approach would have been better than what the Bills did.

With the Bills stink of failure, if they squibbed the ball, it probably would have found its way out of bounds and Chiefs would have started at the 40 with 3 timeouts and 13 seconds.

I can’t see myself being any happier than watching them lose like that. Good job Patrick, do what Brady did to Manning. Give them heartbreak and get them snakebitten early.

Bills coach Sean McDermott said Tuesday in his end-of-season press conference that allowing Patrick Mahomes to drive for the game-tying field goal in 13 seconds and dice up his defense in overtime will torment him until they finally get over the hump.
"I watched it on video, and I watched it over and over in my head a million times, in my stomach a million more," McDermott said, via Alaina Getzenberg of ESPN. "It's my livelihood, and I'm super competitive as well. I want the best for our football team and this organization and our fans, quite honestly. So I'll continue to watch it in my mind and in my gut for years ... but when we get to where we're trying to get to, I believe that'll make it that much more enjoyable in that moment."

Sure feels like the creator of the video in the op missed a golden opportunity to shave 1 second off of the video length...

I think the top solution is to kick short -- say, the 10-20 yard line -- using up some of the time. Then repeatedly tackle both top receivers at the line of scrimmage, drawing a 5-yard penalty each time. Might work.

Just seems like everyone jumped on the squib kick because of romos comment on the broadcast... Maybe it is just that which bothers me about the squid kick idea... A deep kick and short return could burn a bunch of seconds off just as well
But with a squib kick, the clock starts when the ball touches the ground. With a short kick, it starts when the Chiefs catch it. They also could've called for a fair catch and not burned any clock.

A squib kick was definitely the way to go. Heck, even an onside kick would've been better than what they did. :)

But with a squib kick, the clock starts when the ball touches the ground. With a short kick, it starts when the Chiefs catch it. They also could've called for a fair catch and not burned any clock.

A squib kick was definitely the way to go. Heck, even an onside kick would've been better than what they did. :)
The clock starts when it touches a member of the receiving team, not when it touches the ground.

If you hit the 5, they arent fair catching it. They would need to advance it, or at least try to.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back