PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

11th Annual DW Toys Trade-A-Rama Draft (3 Rounds) Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Jacksonville, Detroit and Buffalo are all being linked to Hockenson in mocks. There’s no guarantee he’ll be there at 10.

Which why trades up to anything besides 1 or 2 are typically contingent on a particular player being available at that spot.

Why the trade up to 21? Why not just trade 32+73 for Rosen plus a 5th in this scenario? Not that I would give up that much for Rosen.
Good question. Because we need a 5th Round pick we do not have. So we obtain pick #139 from AZ
Why? Because the Trade that makes the most sense of any lies in sending that 5th Round picks #139 to the Browns for 5th Round tender RFA Richard Higgins WR from the Browns. He's ultra productive and now sits behind Landry and OBJ. Plus the got speedster Calloway last year.
Higgins is your day one starter over Dorsett (who I really like) and maybe even DT. He is 6'1" and 195lbs with speed. He runs routes. He fits our budget of only $2.03mm. There is a reason for the 5th Rounder.
In this scenario the actual Draft value points expended for Rosen amount to that of a mid thirst Rounder (187 pts AZ win)
DW Toys

Denver's going to trade up and ignore the QB Position, choosing instead to take a TE who might well be available at #10? They're going to piss away 2 picks in order to move up 4 slots for that TE?

That's the sort of decision making that gets a GM fired.
Yes it would make sense to obtain perhaps the next "Kelce....not Gronk" who on some boards is a top 5 pick.
Not a Flacco fan but he stabilizes the QB situation there at only 33. Would you rather have....?
Riddle me this; If that pick #10 was N.E. would you trade up to six to get Hockenson?

Would you rather have Haskins or Lock or even Jones sitting on the bench for a couple years or do you want a toy to win now?
DW Toys

Last edited:
I dont get why the Broncos would trade up 4 spots while giving up their 3rd and 4th for a player that is pretty likely to still sit there at their original spot.

Also not sure why the Rosen deal needs to be a 3 team trade.

Hockenson will go to either Jacksonville, Buffalo or Detroit before pick #10. All are TE needy.

Why? You have to jump three Teams.

The N.E. trade to move up to @21 makes sense. Seattle is desperate for picks (only 4) Schneider has stated he will be aggressive to gain some picks. This is a pretty good Draft class. He picks up a third from the Pats that at #73 is decent. He has to figure out what to do with Clark, now that they have paid Wilson, because they have players like Wagner waiting for his $. Gaining poicks high who can play now is the best remedy to stay competitive and surround Wilson with weapons.

Trade value chart numbers say the trade is a win for Seattle (15 points or projected 6th round value)

Now we make a choice of perhaps a Fant or A.J. Brown at pick #21 or as this the D.W. Toys Trade-A-Rama afterall, we can get Rosen for what it amounts to Rosen at a third Round Draft value and an added pick.....to go after a good WR who requires a 5th in Rishard Higgins (RFA), plus in actuality, we drop down one player in the second (from N.E. original #32) and #64 in the second to #65 in the 3rd. So technically dropping one picks down, we pick up Rosen and a fifth Round pick....savvy?
DW Toys

The only reason to move up is if your convinced 8 is his floor with Detroit. That being said, I would only be willing to deal a 3rd not a 4th as well.
Points value says no.
DW Toys

That would be a more convincing argument if Denver wasn't desperate to get its QBOTF, and if DW Toys hadn't conveniently allowed Haskins to slip all the way out of the first round in order to have him still end up in Denver:

Nothing against you, but Toys was deliberately being ridiculous in order to make that pairing happen.
Why do you think Haskins won't sink that far?
Murray, Lock Jones and Haskins could be the order.
I threw a "Trade-A Rama" spitball with the fact that it has been said Miami might wait until 2020 for a franchise QB.
Brissett is gone from the Colts after this year. Flores knows what he can do or not from N.E. Worse case is Flores lets him walk in 2020....but he has a year "test drive".
Already rumblings on Haskins. One year wonder.

Now in my Mock, Elway gets a blue chipper in Hockeson and sees a falling Haskins. It's not far fetched.

Maybe Flores ET.AL don't want a Haskins gamble. Brissett has NFL tape.

Yes I think Elway would move up in round 2 if Haskins was there to sit behand Flacco.
DW Toys

That does seem contrived. I wonder if Elway will draft a first round QB or not. I really don’t know.

There is a tendency amongst amateur mockers to ‘wait’ on the QB which I’m reality just doesn’t happen. If teams like the QB, they don’t compromise.
Who has expressed undying love for Haskins in Round 1? Gettlemen seems to be pushing back. The Broncos are next but with Flacco they do not have to waste the #10 pick on a bench sitter.
Dolphins? Looking at 2020.
Redskins? see more Jones for them
The Chargers and Haskins? Not there yet
N.E. Don't think so.
In Round two there would be more suitors.
Jones seems to be the apple of the eye of most conversation for Teams...Giants, Redskins, Pats.
DW Toys

I’ve said from the moment Murray was floated as the # 1 pick that don’t believe it will happen
If they actually get someone to trade up for a guy who has no business being picked anywhere number 1 because of the fake hype they created, they are geniuses.

Murray may fall very far.
Kiem? Genius? Scouts seem to still be Murrayites that he will be Drafted high. The Jest are begging the Cards not to Draft him.
DW Toys

The Seattle trade for Frank Clark got me thinking. Lets for the moment Oakland doesn't make that trade. Would you like it if the Pats made the same trade with Seattle. The 32nd pick for Clark and the 140th.

THEN use that 140th to add McCoy. :eek:

I think that would give us the best DL in Pats history.

Clark, McCoy, Guy, Bennett in a rotation with Fergeson, Pennell, Butler, Rivers.

Sure it would be a bit long in the tooth, and wouldn't last more than this year as a group, but MAN, it would be talented.

Love Clark but he is at Flowers number of $18mm.
We have a little over $15mm in CAP . At $12mm we can afford McCoy.
DW Toys

Kiem? Genius? Scouts seem to still be Murrayites that he will be Drafted high. The Jest are begging the Cards not to Draft him.
DW Toys
Murray has no business being anywhere near the discussion for the #1 pick.
The only reason he is even in the conversation is the comment kingsbury made when coaching against him in college.
I haven’t seen any scout saying he SHOULD BE #1 only predictions based upon kingsbury supposedly loving him.
It would be a pure genius move if they got someone to trade up to 1 to take a guy they never wanted and that would be an awful pick.
By the same token if they do take him they are idiots.

Still trying to figure out all the moving parts in pick #21, it hurts my brain.. that is a lot of pieces to move around.
Cousin,
Seattle needs picks. They have only 4. Schneider has said he will be aggressive to gain picks
Our #32 plus our #73 in Round 3 equals 815 Trade Value Chart points.

Seattles pick #21 is values at 800 points. He will seek us to pick up another picks by moving down.

That one off trade works.

AZ needs to come up with a deal to show the best value when Trading Rosen for their fan base. I believe he is worth a decent pick, he still has an inexpensive cost (less $ than Hoyer!!!) He can sit for a couple years an learn under TB.

We trade #21 to AZ for picks #33 (one off from our original #32)

We get #65 at the top of the 3rd (one behind our 2nd Round pick #64 or last of the 2nd)

We get a 5th round pick we do not have to get 5th Round pick RFA Rishard Higgins WR from tendered WR from the Browns.

The trade value Chart sates AZ wins by 189 pts (or a mid third round pick)

So we get Rosen and a 5th Rounder (top pick in 5th) for what amounts to a third round value. The AZ fans see #21 involved for Rosen to move to N.E.

We still have the lower 5th to give the Browns for RFA WR Higgins

Savvy?
DW Toys

Because the value with Flowers in our defense was in his versatility. Clark might be better in specific areas but he cant do as many things at a good level as Flowers. Depending on the projected role and your defense this might not matter or Clark might be a better player but I dont think it would be true in NE.

What would be his incentive to play ball and agree to a paycut to facilitate a trade? He knows that -- unless injuries hit other players -- the Bucs will most probably release him at some point this summer and then he has free choice.

I mean maybe he is one of those players that would take a discount for a realistic shot at a ring but I would not expect it.

I would love McCoy here but I just dont see it happening unless he gets cut. And even then he would have to do it at a discount.
Never gets to us unless we trade.
DW Toys

I had to read the trade-o-rama for commic relief, its classic toys.

Never gets to us unless we trade.
DW Toys

And we will never trade for that contract.

It is substantially more likely (even if overall unlikely) that we can sign him after a release than BB throwing out that much money for someone who could very well be past his prime. As long as his contract is above 7-8m APY this is a pipedream.

Yes it would make sense to obtain perhaps the next "Kelce....not Gronk" who on some boards is a top 5 pick.

No, it wouldn't. Not in the context of team needs. The way it makes sense is if the team has no interest in a QB. But that's not the case here. Look, anything can happen in a draft. We've seen all manner of idiotic decisions. We've seen teams not get their picks in. We've seen players drop, and players rise. We've seen teams desperately in need of a QB decide to draft a running back as the second overall pick when there was at least one QB on the board that was considered to be a potential franchise QB. Heck, maybe this is the year that BB decides to trade his entire draft in order to draft two players in the first round (It's not, but maybe it is). So, maybe you'll actually be right about this stuff.

But what you do is toss out these drafts with no real logic, based upon little beyond "this would be fun". That's fine as far as it goes, but it's not a legit mock draft when you're knowingly rigging the board as you are, and you should be willing to take critiques about it.

Last edited:
Why do you think Haskins won't sink that far?

1. Because he's the best throwing QB in the draft
  2. Because none of the pundits with insight have him doing it
  3. Because QBs are consistently overdrafted

Choose any, or all, of the above, or choose from some other options that I didn't bother listing.

1. Because he's the best throwing QB in the draft
  2. Because none of the pundits with insight have him doing it
  3. Because QBs are consistently overdrafted
Choose any, or all, of the above, or choose from some other options that I didn't bother listing.
Fair enough.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes