PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Interview NFL Annual Meeting

I’ve been on team Bill for years, but I’m done. I don’t say this lightly, but this is a make it or break it season in my eyes. I‘d roll with Mayo right now.

I’m really disgusted with his living off past success and the different standard he holds for himself than he does the players.

For the past 4 years he’s been paid at the top of the market, but has delivered teams that can be described as mediocre at best.

I believe he really does have disdain for offense and views the QB position as just a cog, no different than a guard or a gunner.

Say what you will about Mac, but standing pat at pick 15 in that draft shows that he was prepared to draft Davis Mills to be just a guy to run the system.

I think the win against the Jets last year was his ideal. A game solely won by defense and special teams.

I don’t know what kind of over the top hubris it is when everyone on the planet knows it’s a bad idea to turn the offense over to Judge and Patricia but you do it anyway and subject the fan base to an embarrassment of an offense for an entire season.

He surrounds himself with bum kissers and has thrown accountability out the window (I’m talking to you Cam Acord).

His media ******** has absolutely worn thin on me.

I don’t think he really cares what fans think, but If he thinks there is going to be widespread adulation for breaking Shula’s record limping to the finish line after years and years of mediocrity post Brady I think he’s sorely mistaken.

Are you guys really pining for Pete Carroll? Why don't you ask Marshawn Lynch how good a fekkin' coach he is.
Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis

I’ve been on team Bill for years, but I’m done. I don’t say this lightly, but this is a make it or break it season in my eyes. I‘d roll with Mayo right now.

I’m really disgusted with his living off past success and the different standard he holds for himself than he does the players.

For the past 4 years he’s been paid at the top of the market, but has delivered teams that can be described as mediocre at best.

I believe he really does have disdain for offense and views the QB position as just a cog, no different than a guard or a gunner.

Say what you will about Mac, but standing pat at pick 15 in that draft shows that he was prepared to draft Davis Mills to be just a guy to run the system.

I think the win against the Jets last year was his ideal. A game solely won by defense and special teams.

I don’t know what kind of over the top hubris it is when everyone on the planet knows it’s a bad idea to turn the offense over to Judge and Patricia but you do it anyway and subject the fan base to an embarrassment of an offense for an entire season.

He surrounds himself with bum kissers and has thrown accountability out the window (I’m talking to you Cam Acord).

His media ******** has absolutely worn thin on me.

I don’t think he really cares what fans think, but If he thinks there is going to be widespread adulation for breaking Shula’s record limping to the finish line after years and years of mediocrity post Brady I think he’s sorely mistaken.
img_9651.jpg

The last 25 years is a great answer.

Why should we have confidence?

How about the current team, clearly headed in a good direction assuming they have one more good draft. Last year was clearly an error in judgment, but it doesn’t change the positive direction this team is headed towards if they don’t let it.

Younger Patriot’s fans, or fans who were young when the dynasty started, have absolutely no clue what it’s like to be a league doormat.

No clue what it’s like to win 2-3 wins a season, to watch as every draft pick turns out to be a bust. Watch as the high first round picks either bust or flounder on a horrible team until they move to a good team and find success or win rings then we find some measure of satisfaction rooting for another team to win. It’s a sad and pathetic existence.

Last edited:
well he does give good press conferences...so there's that

Pete Fekkin' Carroll. Some of these posters need their fekkin' head examined.
mumbles zayn malik GIF

Pete fekkin' Carroll.

FBB6E9BB-735F-4319-BAB1-5FB06D63B593.jpeg
A closer look at the film shows Reid’s left nut trying to beat press coverage at the LOS. His right nut is waiting to chip the edge rusher.

He named his left testicle Jackson and his right one Brittany.

The funniest part of this is the generation too young to realize we had Pete Carroll already. :D
Sherman_reaction_dvprto.jpg

Pete fekkin' Carroll.

In the five seasons of 2014-2018, the Patriots quite clearly ran themselves into the ground. They knew it was ending, so they traded (and had stolen) draft capital for hole-plugging vets, and drafted players they thought could find a way onto a deep, veteran roster. Seems like both coach and QB had no time for developmental players.

For example, why Michel in 2018? Because he could walk onto the field and keep Brady upright in a blitz, while giving them a strong runner for a couple of years, and very much helping them bring a title in 2018. The way people here discount that amazes me - and speaks to an expectation that "of course we're supposed to win every year!"

They had one of the greatest 5-year runs ever. It certainly wasn't all Brady (Rams Superbowl), but he was THE GUY. The GOAT.

But the Pats were playing on borrowed time, with an expensive roster, thin on rookies, high on rentals.
The wheels came off a year earlier than they had to in 2019. They had to take chances to keep it going. Josh Gordon burned out. Antonio Brown exploded, Sanu got hurt and was never going to fix it anyway, and the team ran out of gas so obviously, falling flat.

Then, 2020, with no QB and the COVID year. Clearing the books. The team wasn't going anywhere. For a moment, it looked like Cam Newton might be the short-term answer, though...a brief moment. As an aside, and it doesn't really matter in the long run, I still believe Newton came back with COVID brain - it's very real and slows processing time. They weren't going anywhere anyway.

2021, they took the risks of big FA signings. Judon was a hit. Henry performed as expected, Smith a huge miss, and Agholor (like every other top FA WR that year) a miss. Welcome to Free Agency Follies. Happens every year across the league.

2022 is mostly on BB and his decisions regarding the offense. None of us know the whole story, but wow, what a mess.

I'm only recapping this obvious recent history because, wow again, what a spoiled fanbase. "Three mediocre years"? Look around the league. How many mediocre (or terrible) years do you think the Rams and Bucs are looking at for one ring? Pete Carroll engineered a great run in Seattle that netted them two appearance in the SB and ONE, count 'em, ONE ring. And they've been mediocre since 2015, with only one playoff win. They're also mired in meh now, with their biggest hope being the talent drain from NFC to AFC.

It takes a couple of years for a rookie QB to develop, and you really don't know what you have until it happens or doesn't. There are few exceptions - I think Cinci knew Burrow was special right away. I have no idea if Mac Jones will get where the Pats need him to be to compete at a high level. I thought yes after 2021, but last year...wow.

As far as BB goes, there have been a few mistakes, sure. How can there not be? Personally, I like the team he's constructing right now. They're deep and they're good and they're not looking at cap hell in the future at all. A piece here and a piece there and who knows? The biggest question is QB - it's always the biggest question in the NFL right now with the way they've changed the game, lopsidedly (and detrimentally) so. If Mac Jones comes out slinging in 2023, this team can go a long way. Big "IF," sure - it always is in the NFL.

BB's biggest problem right now might well be his superb coaching, and that part remains superb. The Pats will almost always beat teams with equal or lesser talent. 14 is the highest they've picked in 15 years! And they only had the 7th pick in 2008 because SF sucked in 2007. So really, it's been 20 years - 20 efffing years - since they picked this high because of their record.

I get the restlessness and miss the January games as much as anyone here, but come on.

Sherman_reaction_dvprto.jpg

Pete fekkin' Carroll.
I’m having a hard time imagining who the BB haters want as head coach?

Can we get some candidates?

I’ve never seen such a yearning and push for mediocrity.

I’m having a hard time imagining who the BB haters want as head coach?

Can we get some candidates?

I’ve never seen such a yearning and push for mediocrity.
Well, 8-9 is pretty mediocre, so I get the frustration, but c'mon. Pete eff'n Carroll? Dude got schooled by the Pats. This is who they want?

I look at this whole thing in here as this: When Bill retires, they will celebrate. It'll be ding dong the witch is dead type chit. Then the first time they lose back to back games they'll be wanting the new coach's head on a pike like he's Ned eff'n Stark (see what I did there?) Some of these posters are hopeless, and the only thing that makes them happy is *****ing about the team. Meh. Eff 'em.

Last edited:
In the five seasons of 2014-2018, the Patriots quite clearly ran themselves into the ground. They knew it was ending, so they traded (and had stolen) draft capital for hole-plugging vets, and drafted players they thought could find a way onto a deep, veteran roster. Seems like both coach and QB had no time for developmental players.

For example, why Michel in 2018? Because he could walk onto the field and keep Brady upright in a blitz, while giving them a strong runner for a couple of years, and very much helping them bring a title in 2018. The way people here discount that amazes me - and speaks to an expectation that "of course we're supposed to win every year!"

They had one of the greatest 5-year runs ever. It certainly wasn't all Brady (Rams Superbowl), but he was THE GUY. The GOAT.

But the Pats were playing on borrowed time, with an expensive roster, thin on rookies, high on rentals.
The wheels came off a year earlier than they had to in 2019. They had to take chances to keep it going. Josh Gordon burned out. Antonio Brown exploded, Sanu got hurt and was never going to fix it anyway, and the team ran out of gas so obviously, falling flat.

Then, 2020, with no QB and the COVID year. Clearing the books. The team wasn't going anywhere. For a moment, it looked like Cam Newton might be the short-term answer, though...a brief moment. As an aside, and it doesn't really matter in the long run, I still believe Newton came back with COVID brain - it's very real and slows processing time. They weren't going anywhere anyway.

2021, they took the risks of big FA signings. Judon was a hit. Henry performed as expected, Smith a huge miss, and Agholor (like every other top FA WR that year) a miss. Welcome to Free Agency Follies. Happens every year across the league.

2022 is mostly on BB and his decisions regarding the offense. None of us know the whole story, but wow, what a mess.

I'm only recapping this obvious recent history because, wow again, what a spoiled fanbase. "Three mediocre years"? Look around the league. How many mediocre (or terrible) years do you think the Rams and Bucs are looking at for one ring? Pete Carroll engineered a great run in Seattle that netted them two appearance in the SB and ONE, count 'em, ONE ring. And they've been mediocre since 2015, with only one playoff win. They're also mired in meh now, with their biggest hope being the talent drain from NFC to AFC.

It takes a couple of years for a rookie QB to develop, and you really don't know what you have until it happens or doesn't. There are few exceptions - I think Cinci knew Burrow was special right away. I have no idea if Mac Jones will get where the Pats need him to be to compete at a high level. I thought yes after 2021, but last year...wow.

As far as BB goes, there have been a few mistakes, sure. How can there not be? Personally, I like the team he's constructing right now. They're deep and they're good and they're not looking at cap hell in the future at all. A piece here and a piece there and who knows? The biggest question is QB - it's always the biggest question in the NFL right now with the way they've changed the game, lopsidedly (and detrimentally) so. If Mac Jones comes out slinging in 2023, this team can go a long way. Big "IF," sure - it always is in the NFL.

BB's biggest problem right now might well be his superb coaching, and that part remains superb. The Pats will almost always beat teams with equal or lesser talent. 14 is the highest they've picked in 15 years! And they only had the 7th pick in 2008 because SF sucked in 2007. So really, it's been 20 years - 20 efffing years - since they picked this high because of their record.

I get the restlessness and miss the January games as much as anyone here, but come on.
Post of the year!!!! Very well said. Thank You.

I feel like a lot of you are more fans of BB then you are the team. Whoever the head coach is should be held accountable. There are plenty of coaches out there who can deliver a .500 winning percentage.

There are mistakes like disregarding your scouting department and drafting N'Keal Harry or swinging and missing on Jonnu and Agholor and then there is gross negligence like handing the offense over to Patricia and Judge. No other coach in the league would have made such an asinine decision and pissed away an entire season of offensive development.

As fans you deserve better, but if you're just happy to stare at BB's balls so be it.

I feel like a lot of you are more fans of BB then you are the team. Whoever the head coach is should be held accountable. There are plenty of coaches out there who can deliver a .500 winning percentage.

There are mistakes like disregarding your scouting department and drafting N'Keal Harry or swinging and missing on Jonnu and Agholor and then there is gross negligence like handing the offense over to Patricia and Judge. No other coach in the league would have made such an asinine decision and pissed away an entire season of offensive development.

As fans you deserve better, but if you're just happy to stare at BB's balls so be it.
Sure but of those plenty of coaches that can go .500 how many of them can you say most certainly would compete/win a title with improved QB play? I'm sure a few but most of them probably suck and we know BB doesn't.

The most pressing thing when it comes to BB is age not ability. We know he can get it done but how long before we have a QB that can also get it done? I still think Mac can be that guy. But development takes time especially when it gets stunted by Matty P

what should he answer if asked why the fans should be optimistic ? just wondering what the correct answer is. arent we all hoping for a turnaround based on what this coaching stafff and ownership has done in the last 20 yrs ?

@RobertWeathers said it best: this is a make or break year for Bill. Another sub-par year and he will be retired. To your first point: I can't speak for other people but I can for me. I am a fan of what him for what he's accomplished and the manner in which he did it. That does not take away from anything that any of the players did, from Tom Brady on down to some no name guy who suited up for one game sometime between 2001 and 2022. It's a players game, and the coaches are tasked with getting the players ready to play at the highest level. In the end, the players play, and they deserve the lion share of the credit. Bill deserves credit for building a winning organization, and he deserves the credit for getting those players ready, because for the most part of the last 20 years, the Patriots were always the better coached team. (I'll address '22 in a bit)

I am a fan of RKK for saving the team from moving to St Louis, and for getting the eff out of the way and letting Bill run it. I am a fan of pretty much anyone who dons the jersey, with the obvious odd exceptions. I am a fan of Bill's for the reasons stated above, but I am not blind to what happened last year, and very much aware that he cannot allow it to happen again. He needs to fix it, and I believe he's made some steps to head in that direction so far this off-season. Knowing what he has meant to this franchise as it's main architect, I am willing to give BB the benefit of the doubt, with the understanding that things better be a whole lot different in 2023 than they were in 2022. If they aren't then it will be time to make changes.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back