PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BB Interview NFL Annual Meeting

I feel like a lot of you are more fans of BB then you are the team.

I was a fan before BB and I'll be one when he retires. This is a needlessly-insulting comment with no basis in reality or logic.

Whoever the head coach is should be held accountable.

Accountability works both ways - as in, weigh the positives and the negatives. Are the Patriots a better team right now than they were at the end of 2019 and going forward? I think the answer is YES, and emphatically so if Mac Jones progresses. The 2019 team was terrible at the end, the 2020 team was emptied of talent and money, and that in a year where your roster could be decimated week-to-week by COVID protocols. The 2021 team was the true beginning of the rebuild, which entailed GAMBLES. Free agency is a gamble. You're betting on potential and that the players will fit in emotionally and skill-set.

Judon was probably the best FA of that entire class (and they got him at a great price). Henry was a hit.
Smith a miss, Agholor a miss (along with every other WR who was in that class). Neither of these mistakes hurt the Patriots at this point in the rebuild, which is pretty much the earliest we can expect a competitive team, given the QB break-in period in the NFL. In other words, Smith and Agholor didn't cost fans a damned thing in terms of the Superbowl unless you believe that a couple of different players they grabbed instead would have led us there (not a chance).

There are plenty of coaches out there who can deliver a .500 winning percentage.

And there are VERY FEW who could be .500 with the 2020 and 2021 Patriots, let alone fix the cap and aging issues of the 2014-2019 run and rebuild the foundation from near scratch. And there are virtually NONE who delivered what BB delivered, whether in the sheer years of competitiveness and even dominance on the meta level, to the particulars like the end of the Seahawks SB game, the preparation and confidence that led to the amazing second half of the Atlanta game - the little things that kept them in the mix for playoffs during a rebuild that should have had them near the bottom of the league, skill-wise. (Again, maybe that's BB's biggest "flaw" in terms of rebuilding...whereas other teams, like the JETE and the Bucs Brady went to, were able to build a core of top-10 picks.)

There are mistakes like disregarding your scouting department and drafting N'Keal Harry or swinging and missing on Jonnu and Agholor
Judon was probably the best FA of that entire class. Henry was a hit.
Smith was a miss, Agholor a miss (along with every other WR who was in that class). Neither of these mistakes hurt the Patriots at this point in the rebuild, which is pretty much the earliest we can expect a competitive team, given the QB break-in period in the NFL. In other words, Smith and Agholor didn't cost fans a damned thing.
Harry was a huge miss, and his injuries didn't help, nor did end of 2019 Brady and his sullen despair, or Cam at QB in 2020. Yes, coaches sometimes get fired for a miss - but a miss at the end of the round? It's not like the Pats mortgaged the future to move up in the draft to grab a bust. And I think BB certainly has earned enough to shrug over a bust WR. Also why I do not want any of this year's WR class in the first round.

and then there is gross negligence like handing the offense over to Patricia and Judge. No other coach in the league would have made such an asinine decision and pissed away an entire season of offensive development.
I agree that this was an egregious error. So Bill, admit it and fix it...oh look! He did.

As fans you deserve better, but if you're just happy to stare at BB's balls so be it.

Or maybe, as fans, accept that the NFL is not designed for sustained excellence and there are now TWO WAYS to climb the mountain: either you buy and trade for top talent at top prices, pile on void years and accept a very thin roster in the hopes injury or bad luck won't destroy your very short window, or you build your units with patience and don't make mistakes that will hang over you for years.

Since he's probably done in a couple of years, for BB to do the former would be selfish to whomever follows him. Even aside from that, I prefer the latter, which is what we're seeing.

Last edited:
Tedy Bruschi calls out Bill Belichick for being "off-message"

Ask Tedy Bruschi what he thought about that answer from BB.
I saw that. i love Tedy. But i want to know how one is supposed to answer the question.
Paraphrasing-
"hey bill, are you happywith what has been in the offseason?"
"We will see"
"why should we trust you"
"????"

In any situation football or otherwise, how can one answer this I dont know. Because you cant say "i assure you we will be good", which is meaningless . You cant say "you shouldnt trust me" .If you say "lets wait and see", that answer is the same as before.
This basically is baiting and saying we dont trust you but still asking the question anyway .

I feel like a lot of you are more fans of BB then you are the team. Whoever the head coach is should be held accountable. There are plenty of coaches out there who can deliver a .500 winning percentage.

There are mistakes like disregarding your scouting department and drafting N'Keal Harry or swinging and missing on Jonnu and Agholor and then there is gross negligence like handing the offense over to Patricia and Judge. No other coach in the league would have made such an asinine decision and pissed away an entire season of offensive development.

As fans you deserve better, but if you're just happy to stare at BB's balls so be it.
Please give an alternative who you want as his replacement who would've taken the same teams to the playoffs and superbowls last yr and before.

You say you don't make it about Brady, but you do. You just did, right there in that above post. If you replaced "did I miss the news of Brady being your QB again?" with "can you provide specific reasons fans should be optimistic about the team's future prospects?", I'd basically like your post.
My point was he does not have an elite HOF QB anymore and therefore it's not the same.

The equation is very different when you have that or not. It was not about Brady vs. Bill.

I was a fan before BB and I'll be one when he retires. This is a needlessly-insulting comment with no basis in reality or logic.

Accountability works both ways - as in, weigh the positives and the negatives. Are the Patriots a better team right now than they were at the end of 2019 and going forward? I think the answer is YES, and emphatically so if Mac Jones progresses. The 2019 team was terrible at the end, the 2020 team was emptied of talent and money, and that in a year where your roster could be decimated week-to-week by COVID protocols. The 2021 team was the true beginning of the rebuild, which entailed GAMBLES. Free agency is a gamble. You're betting on potential and that the players will fit in emotionally and skill-set.

Judon was probably the best FA of that entire class (and they got him at a great price). Henry was a hit.
Smith a miss, Agholor a miss (along with every other WR who was in that class). Neither of these mistakes hurt the Patriots at this point in the rebuild, which is pretty much the earliest we can expect a competitive team, given the QB break-in period in the NFL. In other words, Smith and Agholor didn't cost fans a damned thing in terms of the Superbowl unless you believe that a couple of different players they grabbed instead would have led us there (not a chance).

And there are VERY FEW who could be .500 with the 2020 and 2021 Patriots, let alone fix the cap and aging issues of the 2014-2019 run and rebuild the foundation from near scratch. And there are virtually NONE who delivered what BB delivered, whether in the sheer years of competitiveness and even dominance on the meta level, to the particulars like the end of the Seahawks SB game, the preparation and confidence that led to the amazing second half of the Atlanta game - the little things that kept them in the mix for playoffs during a rebuild that should have had them near the bottom of the league, skill-wise. (Again, maybe that's BB's biggest "flaw" in terms of rebuilding...whereas other teams, like the JETE and the Bucs Brady went to, were able to build a core of top-10 picks.)

Judon was probably the best FA of that entire class. Henry was a hit.
Smith was a miss, Agholor a miss (along with every other WR who was in that class). Neither of these mistakes hurt the Patriots at this point in the rebuild, which is pretty much the earliest we can expect a competitive team, given the QB break-in period in the NFL. In other words, Smith and Agholor didn't cost fans a damned thing.
Harry was a huge miss, and his injuries didn't help, nor did end of 2019 Brady and his sullen despair, or Cam at QB in 2020. Yes, coaches sometimes get fired for a miss - but a miss at the end of the round? It's not like the Pats mortgaged the future to move up in the draft to grab a bust. And I think BB certainly has earned enough to shrug over a bust WR. Also why I do not want any of this year's WR class in the first round.

I agree that this was an egregious error. So Bill, admit it and fix it...oh look! He did.

Or maybe, as fans, accept that the NFL is not designed for sustained excellence and there are now TWO WAYS to climb the mountain: either you buy and trade for top talent at top prices, pile on void years and accept a very thin roster in the hopes injury or bad luck won't destroy your very short window, or you build your units with patience and don't make mistakes that will hang over you for years.

Since he's probably done in a couple of years, for BB to do the former would be selfish to whomever follows him. Even aside from that, I prefer the latter, which is what we're seeing.

I love the way you talk dirty to me

I saw that. i love Tedy. But i want to know how one is supposed to answer the question.
Paraphrasing-
"hey bill, are you happywith what has been in the offseason?"
"We will see"
"why should we trust you"
"????"

In any situation football or otherwise, how can one answer this I dont know. Because you cant say "i assure you we will be good", which is meaningless . You cant say "you shouldnt trust me" .If you say "lets wait and see", that answer is the same as before.
This basically is baiting and saying we dont trust you but still asking the question anyway .
He did not get asked "why should we trust you"
He was asked "why should pats fans be optimistic heading into next season"

a good answer- we have a young smart qb willing to work hard and a core group of veterans who are progressing every day and an experienced group of coaches to put them in a position to succeed.

Of course the hypocrite answered "the past 25 years" completely going in the opposite direction of his yearly message to players of "stay in the moment", past accomplishments mean nothing”
Message received loud and clear...rest on your laurels,...and it shows judging from the mediocre offseason this far.

Last edited:
Watching his interview today I think he legitimately believes he can just Stay the Course for a few more years, get those wins, and then bow out. Just has to average 8-9 wins. Like he has zero fear regarding his job security as long as the bottom doesn’t completely fall out.
Boy, he’ll be blindsided when Kraft lets him go after this upcoming season.

Please give an alternative who you want as his replacement who would've taken the same teams to the playoffs and superbowls last yr and before.

Does BB the head coach get a pass for the roster and assistant coaching staff that BB the GM assembles?

Does BB the head coach get a pass for the roster and assistant coaching staff that BB the GM assembles?

Same old tired questions asked 1000 times before.

Wonder how much of the apparent disdain for BB is fueled by sports talk radio, who read into and analyze every word by BB and highlight some of his lackluster decisions. Currently find that medium to be boring and have reduced themselves to nothing more than conspiracy theorists who rely on interpreting comments, innuendo, false & selective information and their own opinions.

Without regard BB is coming to the end of his tenure here and Mr. Kraft will let him walk away on his own terms, it might take some nudging on Mr. Kraft's regard, but BB will be allowed to walk away with his head held high, rightfully so.

One thing as fans we have learned over the years is winning solves everything, return to the origins of BB & Brady, when Bledsoe got healthy enough to return there was systemic outrage by many fans and the press that BB was disloyal to Bledsoe, allegedly BB broke a promise. Prophesies of doom abounded and Vinny Testaverde was a hot topic for all media.

Even the opinion on Mac Jones last year and current, is that he is some sort of flop, fans see different things. What I saw was a young NFL player who looked like a deer in the headlights and did not know what way was up. Combined with poor pass protection and a unnecessary change in the offensive philosophy and poor O coaching, turned our O into a hot mess. Will BOB make a difference, has Mac gotten more adaptable to change, are their enough O weapons??.. while many think there are not enough. I suspect what we will see in September is probably gonna be a bit different than what is on paper now. Stay tuned, this fan will never lose faith in BB.

Wonder how much of the apparent disdain for BB is fueled by sports talk radio, who read into and analyze every word by BB and highlight some of his lackluster decisions. Currently find that medium to be boring and have reduced themselves to nothing more than conspiracy theorists who rely on interpreting comments, innuendo, false & selective information and their own opinions.

Without regard BB is coming to the end of his tenure here and Mr. Kraft will let him walk away on his own terms, it might take some nudging on Mr. Kraft's regard, but BB will be allowed to walk away with his head held high, rightfully so.

One thing as fans we have learned over the years is winning solves everything, return to the origins of BB & Brady, when Bledsoe got healthy enough to return there was systemic outrage by many fans and the press that BB was disloyal to Bledsoe, allegedly BB broke a promise. Prophesies of doom abounded and Vinny Testaverde was a hot topic for all media.

Even the opinion on Mac Jones last year and current, is that he is some sort of flop, fans see different things. What I saw was a young NFL player who looked like a deer in the headlights and did not know what way was up. Combined with poor pass protection and a unnecessary change in the offensive philosophy and poor O coaching, turned our O into a hot mess. Will BOB make a difference, has Mac gotten more adaptable to change, are their enough O weapons??.. while many think there are not enough. I suspect what we will see in September is probably gonna be a bit different than what is on paper now. Stay tuned, this fan will never lose faith in BB.
Amen.

Do you want mayo with your hamburger, Mike?
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry, I don't get the reference.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back