PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 reasons to be excited for in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
One minor critique on your first point. We have five key coaches coming back. Let's not forget about Joe Judge.

...and while not a coach, Caserio returning is a big key as the team stands to lose and acquire key players this offseason

Atlanta started 5-0 a year ago - there were signs. I do not think KC can win with Smith. Denver has a huge issue at QB and those DBs are a year older. I think Pittsburgh really needs to retool the defense. Flacco failed to make the jump to elite after their SB - he never will. The Ravens D is not what it was. I like what Gase is doing. The Texans are improving - need a QB. That defense could be super elite. Oakland looks to be a serious threat - need better D. And I like what Tennessee is doing - they may be the next big AFC team.

The Pats have free agency to deal with and we will see how that plays out but on the whole there is reason to be optimistic next years team will be better.

#1 Coaching - All 4 key coaches (BB, Patricia, McDaniels and Scar) are coming back next year. For a while it looked possible we could lose both coordinators. The Pats have a good reason to be excited because of this.

#2 Trey Flowers - After a a red shirt year and sitting a lot of plays out early he blossomed. 7 sacks in the the last 9 games and 2.5 in the Superbowl. He could very well improve next year but even if he keeps "just" that pace that would be enough to average 14 or so sacks in 16 games. Not to mention the pressure he gets.

#3 Vincent Valentine - He made a few key plays particularly the 2nd half of the year. The goal line stand vs the Steelers for all intents and purposes iced that game. DTs don't usually do that well year one. This kid will make a big impact year 2. I think he will be better than Brown who is pretty good as is.

#4 Malcolm Mitchell - Had to mention him. Malcolm Mitchell had every reason to not have a good year. He is a rookie trying to learn the system and behind some very good players. Even without Gronk you have Vets like Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Bennett, White. who played nearly every game IIRC. Add in Lewis and Gronk and he could have easily been excused to have a red shirt year. Instead as a rookie WR he had 401 yards in the regular season and 70 in the Super Bowl.

#5 Joe Thuney - Started off hot then got cold. Maybe hit the rookie wall. But according to PFF had a good super bowl and looking back on the tape it seems he stepped up there with 2 weeks to rest. I am curious what he can do with another year.

#6 Rob Gronkowski - Yes this needs to be mentioned. Lets break up the talk of young players and bring up we will get one of the best players overall in the NFL back. If he can stay healthy I see no defense that can stop the Patriots if the OL blocks reasonably well.

#7 60M+ in cap space - The Pats can if they want bring this whole team back and then some. We will see what they want to do but they are limited by nothing. When you are eyeing over 60M in cap space with most of your key players under contract for 2017 it is hard to assume you will enter this year with anything but a better roster.

#8 Dion Lewis - Why Dion Lewis? Cause lets be honest. Though he was good he was not the 2015 Dion Lewis. That and he got to end the year on a healthy note generally. Now he will get a full off season to rest and there is a very good chance in 2017 we get a Dion Lewis that looked like a character out of a video game.

#9 Jimmy G - It doesn't matter if they trade him or not. Either way Jimmy will be of huge value to the Patriots. If you are a believing in Jimmy (and I am) you have 1 of 2 options. #1 We trade him for draft value (yay!) #2 He is on on roster (yay!). In the first cause we improve our team with talent and low priced players to help Brady. In the 2nd case a Brady injury will not derail our chances. Though I would not like Jimmy to play in the super bowl or anything if Brady goes down 4-8 weeks we would have a QB that could do well and keep us in the hunt for the first seed where in years pass on other teams that would not be the case. Either way it is a very good situation.

#10 AFC will be weak most likely. I have said before and will say again. We have a good path for another championship. Assuming if we do trade Jimmy he goes the the NFC (or Browns) there is no team that will get a great QB to help them. Cousins isn't going anywhere. Romo can't seem to stay healthy so even if traded odds are come the playoffs he won't be there. Mike Glennon doesn't scare me nor does any rookie. To me the only QB that will be in Brady's ball back is Carr (we will see how he looks coming back from his injury). Ben looks shaky at this point. I see some good teams but no great ones likely.

#11: If we can sign Michael Floyd to an extension, he'll be a real game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore