PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be opposed to BB positioning 2 move up for Luck next year?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you like to see the Pats go after luck in 2012?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogamedogz

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Barring injury, and assuming his career trajectory continues in the way most scouts expect.

walken.gif

We're trying to win now. Give Brady every weapon you can. Don't spend valuable resources on the future when you could be helping Brady get his fourth.

We're trying to win now. Give Brady every weapon you can. Don't spend valuable resources on the future when you could be helping Brady get his fourth.

Well, then wouldnt bringing in veteran FA's be a better bet for winning now?

Pick up some solid (if not flashy) FA's to mix with the youth... allow the kids to develop, and have luck waiting in the wings to take over when TFB hits the wall in 4 years or so.

Why not? Brady would be 35 going into Luck's rookie year.

I think for now Hoyer is fine. It would depend where Luck would go in the draft. By the time the draft comes around, we might be in serious need of o-line, as well the D.

I would highly opposed to this.

Teams can really only justify that kind of salary spend when they neeeeeed a QB. Luck is a sick prospect, but so was Tony Mandrick.

The only time I can think of this being done was the CHargers drafting Rivers to replace Brees, but Brees was a big ? as a starter at that point in his career.

To be honest, I wouldn't even want to do what the Packers did with Rodgers. Looking back it was a good call, obviously, but spending a first round pick on a prospect (who could bust) at a position where you have a HOF player?

In a perfect world, the pats would take an undervalued QB no higher than the 3rd round and let him learn from Brady for a couple of years like they did with Cassel. I think that the Pats should hold on to Brady till his arm literally falls off. Even if he's 40 years old, we still have a chance. You do understand he is the best QB of all time right?

To extend this point further...teams shouldnt ever trade up for a QB. The price point at the high picks is costly enough for an unknown quantity. Do you really need throw draft picks into that mix? I know the Jets have made it farther than the Pats two years running, but I have to believe that if they spent their picks on core positions or a veteran QB instead of trading up for Sanchez they would have a ring or two

Absolutely. Would you be willing to spend it for another (potential) 15 years of elite QB play?

The #1 overall pick would cost 3 first round picks and then one of the best young players on a team. Talented QBs are not 'elite' without a great team surrounding them. Luck does look like a very good QB prospect, but Brady was also drafted in Round 6 and Montana was drafted in Round 3. The most talented players aren't always the best players; good work ethic, coaching, and motivation are good too.

Why is the question in the topic title and the question of the poll different? :(.

Last edited:
Bad idea.

1. Luck will not look as good under a different coach next year. Probably a mistake staying in on his part. Doubt he'll be the number 1 pick.

2. We're about 2 years too early on taking a quarterback.

3. When we do take a quarterback it probably won't be (and shouldn't be) a 1st-rounder. We also don't know we're going to take one, Hoyer might turn out just fine. (I have doubts, but it's hard to say.)

If the Pats did use this strategy and picked up Luck, then they would have to commit more cap $$$ to him just so he can hold the clipboard while costing them the chance to spend the money on players who could help win now. Besides, nothing is a guarantee. If he came available much like Aaron Rodgers did for the Packers then I'd say yes.

It is still too early to start thinking of grooming Brady's replacement. He just signed a 4 year contract and its very possible that he plays at a high level for a few years beyond that.

Absolutely. Would you be willing to spend it for another (potential) 15 years of elite QB play?

There are no guarantees, particularly at the QB position let alone in a read and react scheme like ours. Brady will play at least another 5 years barring catestrophic injury. You don't waste that kind of draft capital on a backup who under the new system would become increasingly disgruntled because he would have no leverage on which to base his second mega contract (after still costing $15-20M over his first 4-5 years as an expensive backup) and if Brady is still here and playing better in this offense than any rookie who has been sitting behind him in frustration is likely to you couldn't afford to give it to him.

That level of pick is better spent building a better team that a replacement QB will one day take over. That gives him a better chance to succeed going forward, not to mention Tom and the organization a better chance at continuing to succeed until the time comes...

I think this is a horrible idea.

pats should have positioned themselves to draft Locker #1 this year. They BLEW IT!

Doh! Locker sucks this year, guess they were smart after all.

This idiotic move gives new meaning to moot point

Ain't gonna happen

Piss away the GOAT's last fruitful years by foregoing several key draft picks that could shore up the OL and complete defensive rebuilding in a crap shoot for a QB who will sit for years? People need to think before creating threads.

This is a tough one and it's not made any easier because the Poll question (would you like to see...) is different than the Thread question (would you be opposed...).

Several posters have pointed out the risks associated with going all-in to draft a QB. Need we put in evidence to support that perspective any more names than Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, Alex Smith and Vince Young? We seem to have done just fine with a sixth round pick and managed to win 11 games in a recent season with a guy who hadn't started a game since High School.

So, I guess if I believe that lightening can strike three times in the same club house in a 15 year period, I'd say that I wouldn't "like to see" them moving up to get Luck or anybody. But, I'm not sure I see it that way.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable to start looking three or four years down the pike.

Steve Young sat four seasons behind Montana (after two years in Tampa) and Aaron Rogers sat behind Favre for three seasons. Both of those guys worked out OK, one in Canton and the other starting to look like an elite QB. If any franchise could succeed with that formula again, I'd put my money on a franchise managed in the clubhouse by Belichick and from the Front Office by the Krafts. So, I'm not as worried by the "disgruntled sub" scenario.

The history of teams that have great success with a HOF QB is generally that they wander around in the desert for a long time before they find his replacement. The exceptions seem to be the two teams that had premium backups waiting to move up, Young and Rogers for Montana and Favre.

The Cowboys went 13 seasons, including a few with a very solid Danny White at QB, waiting to get to and win a Super Bowl between Staubach's last appearance and Aikman's first win. The Steelers went 16 seasons before getting back to the big game after Bradshaw's last win and 26 years (that's a quarter of a century) before they won again. It's been 16 years and counting since the niners last won with Steve young. It was 29 years after Lombardi and Starr won SB's I and II before Favre took the Packers back to the promised land. It's been 27 years since Shula and Marino took the Fins to their last Super Bowl.

So, no, I wouldn't "be opposed" to trading up and going after a Luck, if Belichick and the Krafts think that there's a high degree of probability that he is "the one" to take up where Tommy leaves off. The average retirement age for an SB era HOF QB is 37, or where Brady will be three years from now. That would be two seasons after next year's draft for Luck on the sidelines, maybe a third.

None of us can know when TB will decide to call it quits, but the one thing we know about him for sure is that he has more class in his little finger than Brett Favre and won't hang around and become a distraction when his time has come. He's said he wants to play until he's 40, like Favre. But, he takes a lot more hits than Brett and has lost an entire season to injury as well, plus going through another off season this year in rehab. So, who knows how it will all play out.

Last edited:
The only QB's that I thought were a slam dunk with the 1st pick were Bledsoe and Peyton Manning.
The other guys I was either not born or too young to understand (Bradshaw to Elway), too dumb to appreciate (Aikman), or had the basic football knowledge to say, "WTF are these teams thinking?"
If the Cowboys were so smart, why did they take Steve Walsh (UMiami) in 1989, forfeiting their #1 pick overrall for 1990? Probably because they would have been dumb enough to draft Jeff George had they kept their pick.
The purpose of the list below only accentuates how risky it is to draft a QB#1 overall. I don't know enough about Luck to say if he is the next David Carr or the next Peyton Manning.

1970 Terry Bradshaw Louisiana Tech
1971 Jim Plunkett Stanford New England Patriots
1975 Steve Bartkowski California
1983 John Elway Stanford
1987 Vinny Testaverde Miami (FL)
1989 Troy Aikman UCLA
1990 Jeff George Illinois
1993 Drew Bledsoe Washington State University
1998 Peyton Manning Tennessee
1999 Tim Couch Kentucky
2001 Michael Vick Virginia Tech
2002 David Carr Fresno State