PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wither Ninkovich?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping that something can be worked out with Mayo also (in addition to Ninko).

I remember that one season (was it 2009?) when they traded away Vrabel and Seymour and Rodney retired and eventually Bruschi retired also (please correct the particulars). What I remember is that season seemed to be the first time that BB didn't seem to like his team too much (he even indicated something similar about its lack of leadership). A. Thomas was being a knucklehead and complaining about how he was being used, Meriweather was being a bigger knucklehead, and I think BB was really surprised by how the absence of those leaders like Rodney and Vrabel affected the team professionalism. I remember him cleaning house the next year.

Since that year, he has extended his leaders like Mayo, Nink, Wilfork, and McCourtney. He has drafted (some say "overdrafted") a bunch of "coach on the field" types for his secondary, all captains and team leaders. I think maybe he learned a lesson that one year and is careful to not get rid of his leaders too quickly. Hopefully it means that something can be worked out with Mayo and Ninko (both leaders) next year.

......However, given my past success in BB predictions he'll probably cut both, along with McCourtney, tomorrow. :cool:
Yes...

The leadership got so bad that BB needed to beg 40 year old Junior Seau out of retirement to join the team

Is anybody watching the games? My God, he blocked four passes against the Jets! He's a huge reason that Collins and the big boys inside are having excellent seasons. He's banging up front, sets a great edge, and drops into coverage most of the time. Missing Sheard is a big deal as he is in on passing downs and makes a bee-line for the quarterback when in for Ninkovich.

His ability to set the edge is a huge reason this defense is containing everybody. QBs who slide to their right always have to contend with him in their running lanes. The guys over the left tackle are pass rushing mostly which is why the QB occasionally leaks left like Fitzpatrick did yesterday.

Ninkovich is playing a much more nuanced role as a DE with the collection of talent on this team.

He got knocked off his coverage on that TD pass yesterday on what was a well-designed and well-executed play by the Jets. It's important to give the other team credit when they execute their plays, and that was certainly the case on that Jets TD.

He got knocked off his coverage on that TD pass yesterday on what was a well-designed and well-executed play by the Jets. It's important to give the other team credit when they execute their plays, and that was certainly the case on that Jets TD.

If by "well-executed" you mean an Illegal pick where Decker gave him an illegal forearm shot to his helmet, then you are correct..

The refs missed it. It was an illegal pick and an illegal forearm shot to the helmet. It should have been a 15 yard penalty for a personal foul on Decker..

If by "well-executed" you mean an Illegal pick where Decker gave him an illegal forearm shot to his helmet, then you are correct..

The refs missed it. It was an illegal pick and an illegal forearm shot to the helmet. It should have been a 15 yard penalty for a personal foul on Decker..
Was it really an illegal pick? Ninkovich was right at the line of scrimmage

Was it really an illegal pick? Ninkovich was right at the line of scrimmage

Based on every other illegal pick call the NFL has made, yes.

they weren't calling the illegal picks either way yesterday

but ninkovich had himself a nice game yesterday......

Are you Tommy Heinsohn? Decker gave him a shot, but since when do we give a WR a penalty for taking on a DE?

He may have had a fumble recovery too, if not for the behind the back choke hold Fitz had on him on one tip

Much as I like Chandler Jones I think he will be leaving after this season. I think they will extend Hightower and Collins but Jones will price himself out. Mayo will have a tough decision to make unless he has a great run the rest of the season, they will ask for a big paycut if he stays on the bench.

I think they see Ninkovich very differently than fans do, I don't believe they will even ask for a restructure. He's really good at everything.

It's not an illegal pick if it happens on the LOS, which it did(not even one yard from it), so different from the picks we, and other teams, usually get called for which are several yards away. You will almost never see it being called an illegal pick when the blocked guy is an end

Much as I like Chandler Jones I think he will be leaving after this season.

Jones, like Hightower, is already signed for 2016.

Are you Tommy Heinsohn? Decker gave him a shot, but since when do we give a WR a penalty for taking on a DE?

Since shots to the head are illegal.. Keep making up excuses for the Jets illegal play..

It's not an illegal pick if it happens on the LOS, which it did(not even one yard from it), so different from the picks we, and other teams, usually get called for which are several yards away. You will almost never see it being called an illegal pick when the blocked guy is an end

Please show me where the rule for OPI says that if it happens on the LOS, it's not an illegal pick?
NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

The rulebook explicitly says there's no such thing as OPI (or DPI) within a yard of the LOS. See Rule 8, Section 5, Article 1:
It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball.

Could be hither.

Alpine_Zither_001.jpg

The Rules Digest is irrelevant. It is some short summary of the real rulebook made by some NFL schmoe. Now that the NFL finally has put the real rulebook online (2015 NFL Rulebook | NFL Football Operations) there is no reason to ever look at the Rules Digest.

ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER

It is a foul if an offensive blocker:

1. Thrusts his hands forward above the frame of an opponent to contact him on the head, neck, or face
Note: Contact in close-line play that is not direct and forcible is not a foul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results