PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wither Ninkovich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So far, here at the quarter pole, Rob Ninkovich isn’t playing at the level we’ve grown accustomed. He’s on pace for 4 sacks (half of the 8 he’s had the past three years) and 28 tackles, down a third from the 40s he’s had the last couple of years. He had a couple of sub-par games before the break, and came back yesterday with as many penalties as tackles.

So…is this a case of (to go to another sport for moment) a post-30 guy taking a little longer to get ramped up, a la David Ortiz? The addition of Sheard means Rob doesn’t have to play every snap anymore (54 out of 72 yesterday, compared to probably 70/72 last year). Fewer snaps could affect stats, but maybe he was a guy who thrived on always being out there? Or is this one of the cases that if Belichick had cut him loose in August for a future pick, we’d all have been shocked but then a few months later thought, “once again, Bill makes a move at exactly the right time.”

Because he’s the kind of player you have to love, I’m glad he’s still with the Pats, and am hopeful his game will improve. But he’s not himself so far. Thoughts? Is he hurt? A short-term slump? Or something more?

I think it's what I expected. Sheard has all around been playing at a high level and taking away Nink's snaps, along with his sacks. He is still definitely a good guy to have on this line rotation along with being the leader he is, but his role is now much reduced due to others playing so well.

My initial thought is that it's just a playing time thing. He's looked good when I've noticed him on the field, just playing less now that we actually have a rotation at DE.

I'm sure that Ninkovich is doing exactly what Patricia wants him to do.

Do you have a criticism of the production/play of Jones/Ninkovich/Sheard? They play as a unit. Individual stats are pretty meaningless.

A good question for a thread, but... At this point, everything is speculation. As the season plays out, we'll know Ninkovich's future with the Pats.

I would add it's also a multiple position change - he's everything from a DT to a 4-3 and 3-4 OLB these days. I've seen him dropping back into coverage more than ever (or at least since Wilfork and Seymour were still a pair here) as well as subbing for Jones (he was part of absorbing blockers for the Collins and Hightower A-gap blitzes yesterday if memory serves) on the other side. He's a smart guy, but everyone has info overload. His consistency arises from his reactions based on familiarity. Now that he's all over the field, his reactions are slowed by having to process instead of react.

So far, here at the quarter pole, Rob Ninkovich isn’t playing at the level we’ve grown accustomed. He’s on pace for 4 sacks (half of the 8 he’s had the past three years) and 28 tackles, down a third from the 40s he’s had the last couple of years. He had a couple of sub-par games before the break, and came back yesterday with as many penalties as tackles.

So…is this a case of (to go to another sport for moment) a post-30 guy taking a little longer to get ramped up, a la David Ortiz? The addition of Sheard means Rob doesn’t have to play every snap anymore (54 out of 72 yesterday, compared to probably 70/72 last year). Fewer snaps could affect stats, but maybe he was a guy who thrived on always being out there? Or is this one of the cases that if Belichick had cut him loose in August for a future pick, we’d all have been shocked but then a few months later thought, “once again, Bill makes a move at exactly the right time.”

Because he’s the kind of player you have to love, I’m glad he’s still with the Pats, and am hopeful his game will improve. But he’s not himself so far. Thoughts? Is he hurt? A short-term slump? Or something more?
At least he's not made of glass...keep trying.

I've said it before Nink will not be on this team next year but I would like to see him Stay on as a coaching assistant.

I see nothing really wrong with Ninko's play at this time. I think he controls his rush effectively far better than Chandler Jones. My brother noticed the same comparison in yesterday's game. There's always been a Stinkovich faction here with a hard on for the guy.

Briquette poisoned his Gatorade to get back on the team.

I've said it before Nink will not be on this team next year but I would like to see him Stay on as a coaching assistant.
Yea his $4.7m cap number might be high for his age next year. They would save $2m by cutting him.

Hopefully they can redo his deal and stay for a more reasonable salary slot.

He had a poor first game of the season but he has played well since. I think he was just hyped about T Pain resurfacing for the opener after a hiatus, and it caused him to lose focus for the game.

I actually thought the same at the beginning of last year and then he obviously finished strong. Yes he doesn't look as good as he has in the past, but I expect him to pick his game up as the season goes on or he may be a cap cut.

The biggest statistic is, it's game 4! It is a long, long season!

I don't see a big problem with Ninko.
His forte was never a 'light the world on fire', it was a consistent contribution with a knack for making that one big play. Maybe the big plays haven't been there (it's only 4 games in the books) but he still has seemed solid to me. IMHO, depending on the cost, it still behooves the Patriots to have a member of the defense like Ninko even if his reps diminish some.

I think what we are seeing is (A) The Patriots have some 'light the world on fire (every so often)' contributors they didn't have for quite a few years. We are simply deeper than years past. (B) I think this year will end his tenth season. A 10 year vet may lose a quarter step but still be effective.

I'd say it's mildly concerning but they are spacing out his snaps more and using the LB's as pass rushers so let's wait and see.

Whither, not wither.

I don't see a big problem with Ninko.
His forte was never a 'light the world on fire', it was a consistent contribution with a knack for making that one big play. Maybe the big plays haven't been there (it's only 4 games in the books) but he still has seemed solid to me. IMHO, depending on the cost, it still behooves the Patriots to have a member of the defense like Ninko even if his reps diminish some.

I think what we are seeing is (A) The Patriots have some 'light the world on fire (every so often)' contributors they didn't have for quite a few years. We are simply deeper than years past. (B) I think this year will end his tenth season. A 10 year vet may lose a quarter step but still be effective.

Yes, his experience, versatility, football intelligence, and leadership ability all factor into the decision to keep him, in my opinion. Hell, I think they even increased his salary this past summer.

I would probably expect something of a pay cut before next year, but I can't fully get behind the idea of him definitely getting cut, as some have suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes