PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was the middle of the defense so open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point. I am still concerned that Mayo and especially Spikes are too prone to being sucked up to the line by play-action. The underneath passes have been easy picking all pre-season. If BB puts the Pats in Cover2 to protect our young secondary, this will be ugly. Hopefully, he's willing to take a chance and bring up a safety, since that will also help the running game, although Butler might go for a 15-yard cushion next week in that case. :eek:

Yes, another reason i expect to see guyton in there .He has learned this the hardway. After denver game i am sure BB gave him a earfull for checking down to base cover2 to what Josh did -Just flex TE.Spike will need some more seasoning .

guyton is our speed cover LB [olb or ilb] with a 6 5 wing span. against traditional TE he can be excellent.[Not dallas clark receving options].

Spikes is more of run stuffing guy who i will play against baltimore .

satz

Against indy i will play him/mayo

Sheesh, the one serious football thread I try to start and look what happens. :eek:

Well, that's what you get from deviating from script. We expect more from you. We want you to joke about serious play on the field, not talk seriously about play on the field that looked like a joke.

I actually missed the game. So I guess this is the best I can actually add to the discussion.

Well, that's what you get from deviating from script. We expect more from you. We want you to joke about serious play on the field, not talk seriously about play on the field that looked like a joke.

I actually missed the game. So I guess this is the best I can actually add to the discussion.

Not bad. That's better than what I usually add.

The New York Football Giants seemed to be able to get 15 yards down the middle of the field anytime they wanted to, especially early on. Why is that? Is it a personnel problem or was it the result of running so-called vanilla schemes?

it is because our LB corp is weak in coverage...which will be exploited over and over during the season.

As a long time Pats fan, I understand the team is going through a transition...but it's frustrating as heck. Tom Brady is not getting any younger....putting a solid defense together sooner, rather than later, would be a good thing. The way I see it, this defense is at least two years away. Brady will be 35. Just hate that we are not taking advantge of having one of the greatest qb's to ever play the game. And yes, I sound spoiled. Maybe I am. I feel like I deserve it though....I sat on aluminum seats while Hugh Millen was getting beat up like a rented mule (and Lisa Olsen was getting a special introduction in the lockerroom post game).

Last edited:
I don't see how Benjarvis Green Ellis makes this team, on the same token I do not see how Sergio Brown does not the kid just is using his motor all game and in good position to make plays which should only improve over time.
I agree Dane Fletchers future is on the practice squad that should be a given.
Does anyone else think that Myers may get snatched up before he is signed to the practice squad?
The offensive line reserves scare the crap out of me i see one or two more outside players signed to the practice squad at least other than the so called talent we currently possess.
I'd like to find
spots on the squad for 2 more receivers i like the potential of rod Owens and mr big screen play.
Hope they sneak on the practice squad, as far as the pass rush there has to be a help wanted sign placed in the stadium considering all applicants.

This is what the gaints did

they flexed boss out , in game time sanders/chung/merriweather will run down and take him leaving tully to rush.

but in vanilla base defence tully followed boss. Now the gaints took our best pass rusher out and also tully is not going to cover boss.
now with tully on boss spikes and mayo pretty much played the tradinal ILB position.
simple scheme.In game time a safety will come down and we will be on cover 1. we played cover 2 all night.

The rams actually did something similar too , everytime the defence lined up a new formation they flexed the TE , resetting our defence to base cover 2.
again something that in a game hopefully will not happen. we saw too much of this crap when guyton was the mike[not his fault he was never trained as a mike]

Excellent observation. I did not realize they were flexing out just to trigger our D to reset. I wish I had DVR to see this, because it makes such a big difference.

Guyton has to get more snaps in games. Spikes and Mayo will get exposed in the passing game like we have seen all preseason. I'm tempted to say start Guyton over Spikes.

BTW: Mayo is one of the most overrated players in the league.

As a long time Pats fan, I understand the team is going through a transition...but it's frustrating as heck. Tom Brady is not getting any younger....putting a solid defense together sooner, rather than later, would be a good thing. The way I see it, this defense is at least two years away. Brady will be 35. Just hate that we are not taking advantge of having one of the greatest qb's to ever play the game. And yes, I sound spoiled. Maybe I am. I feel like I deserve it though....I sat on aluminum seats while Hugh Millen was getting beat up like a rented mule (and Lisa Olsen was getting a special introduction in the lockerroom post game).

Imagine how Dolphins fans felt during the Marino era. They NEVER fielded a competitive defense. The Colts defense hasn't exactly been stifling over the years either.

If the defense can just improve to "average" (and I expect it will) we can compete with any team in the league.

Do you see Mayo making any plays? He was the 10th overall pick !

The point I have been trying to make is that players "click" at different points in their careers. If you want to cut everyone who doesn't make any impact after 1 or 2 years, you are never going to have a quality team.

Just have to continue to be patient. This defense will eventually click.

First, Brady is in his 9th season as a starter. It is impossible for any team to be a Super Bowl team nine years. There are going to be rebuilding years.

Second, predicting the defense is two years away is just wild speculation. After 2006 where the Pats were 1 minute away from going to Super Bowl, people thought the receiving corp was at least two years away from being rebuild, maybe longer. They went from one of the worst receiving corp in the league in 2006 to one of the best (if not the best) in 2007. At this point, this defense could become an above average to very good defense by the end of the year for all we know if young guys like McCourty, Butler, Chung, Spikes, Cunningham, and Brace emerge over the season. Add two firsts and two seconds next year with the return of Bodden and Ty Warren and free agency, and this defense could be elite in 2011.

Third, this team is still good enough to compete for the division. As the Jets showed last year and the Cardinals the year before and the Giants the year before that, a wildly inconsistent team during the regular season can get into the playoff dance and pull it together and do damage in the playoffs.

It is way too early to write off this team. The offense could be a top offense. There is a lot of young, raw talent on the defense. That raw talent could become polished over the season. For all we know, Cunningham could be a dominant pass rusher since we unfortunately haven't been able to see him all preseason. Brace looked to be very good in his limited action this preseason. If they turn into what we hope along with the secondary guys getting more experienced so that they aren't making the same mental errors they made this preseason, this defense could be very good. It is a lot of "ifs", but the reality of the situation could be a heck of a lot rosier than you give it credit for.

If the pre-season games are any indication of the regular season, and this is a big IF, this year will be a lot like the 2005 year when we won games based solely on the play of Brady. The defense is terrible and will be bad this year. What worries me is that the defense is not in transition but filled with players that stink. The whole D-lines needs to be rebuilt as does the LB crue. Mayo is no Patrick Willis, to say the least.

Hate to be negative nelly but on average, the more question marks entering a season, the more issues a team will likely have...

Question Marks In Key Areas-

Qb-No
RB-Yes
OL-Yes
WR-No
TE-No

DL-No (run D)
DE-Yes (run D and pass rush)
Overall Pass Rush-Yes
Overall Run D-Yes/No
Overall Pass D-Yes
CB-Pass D-Yes
Safety-No
K-No
P-Yes/No

Can the kids develop and evolve into impact contributors? Yes.

Will there be speed-bumps? Sure

Will they ALL become impact players-No

Will some? Sure.

I'm still saying 11-5/10-6 b/c as I said, some kids will emerge and players. Some will struggle and others will not produce. 10-11 wins will be on the arm of TB and will cover up some of the warts and issues until the kids are in a groove.

My .02$

Last edited:
Why is this even a question? Obviously it's because we don't have Adam Seward.

Hate to be negative nelly but on average, the more question marks entering a season, the more issues a team will likely have...

Qb-No
RB-Yes
OL-Yes
WR-No
TE-No

DL-No (run D)
DE-Yes (run D and pass rush)
Overall Pass Rush-Yes
Overall Run D-Yes/No
Overall Pass D-Yes
CB-Pass D-Yes
Safety-No
K-No
P-Yes/No

Can the kids develop and evolve into impact contributors? Yes.

Will there be speed-bumps? Sure

Will they ALL become impact players-No

Will some? Sure.

I'm still saying 11-5/10-6 b/c as I said, some kids will emerge and players. Some will struggle and others will not produce. 10-11 wins will be on the arm of TB and will cover up some of the warts and issues until the kids are in a groove.

My .02$
Let me play!

QB - Yes, damned old fart.
RB - No, damned old farts.
OL - Yes, two steaks or three?
WR - Yes, when do we get Edelbinky back?
TE - Yes, what wil Hernandez do to top Gronkowski's haircut?

NT - Yes, how soon will Kyle Love start?
DE - Yes, when does Vince move to LDE?
Overall Pass Rush - No, it's coming up the middle.
Overall Run D - Yes, what are run fits and why do they practice them?
Overall Pass D - Yes, how many interceptions will Meriweather drop?
CB-Pass D - Yes, will Terrence Newman get PSquad time to develop?
Safety - Yes, see above and then ask how many NE players will McGowan run over?
K - Yes, how's his bank shot?
P - No Shanks.
LS - Yes, is Ninkovich pushing for more playing time?

Let me play!

QB - Yes, damned old fart.
RB - No, damned old farts.
OL - Yes, two steaks or three?
WR - Yes, when do we get Edelbinky back?
TE - Yes, what wil Hernandez do to top Gronkowski's haircut?

NT - Yes, how soon will Kyle Love start?
DE - Yes, when does Vince move to LDE?
Overall Pass Rush - No, it's coming up the middle.
Overall Run D - Yes, what are run fits and why do they practice them?
Overall Pass D - Yes, how many interceptions will Meriweather drop?
CB-Pass D - Yes, will Terrence Newman get PSquad time to develop?
Safety - Yes, see above and then ask how many NE players will McGowan run over?
K - Yes, how's his bank shot?
P - No Shanks.
LS - Yes, is Ninkovich pushing for more playing time?

I love it!!!!!

Years of bad drafting catching up to the Patriots.

Years of bad drafting catching up to the Patriots.

WTF? Seriously? Are you actually watching the Patriots?

Jeebus...... It's the pre-season. It's not indicative of how we are going to play in the regular season. It's 4 games designed to blood the young'ns, let the veterans shake off the rust, and give the staff a chance to see how the new guys react to various situations during the game.

Taking away anything else from that is no different than using your fortune cookie numbers to predict the winning lottery numbers.

Respects,

BTW, I am glad to see that the Chicken Littles are already in midseason form before the season even starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes