PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was the middle of the defense so open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the first pass play to TE Kevin Boss over the middle both Mayo and Spikes were sucked in by play action while the secondary was apparently in Cover Two leaving that huge hole in the middle. TBC read the play action, but with Boss lined up in the slot he wasn't in a good position to jam him off the LOS, and his hesitation while reading the backfield gave Boss a head start he was unable to overcome. It was just a good play call against the defense and nothing more to do. Kudos to Chung for crashing in quickly and limiting the YAC with a solid tackle.

I'm pretty sure Spikes actually picked up an underneath route, not biting on play action. Someone ran a 5 yard incut, leaving the seam over the top of him open. Pretty basic read for a QB, and Eli made the right one.

first giants drive - Mayo was responsible for the big Bradshaw dump off gain and Boss's TD - Way too much thinking and slow reaction time - one would hope that should get alot better - or not

Great to have the Patjew seal of approval.:D
Then you've never met Patjew's seal.

donttazeme128419682591177500.jpg

first giants drive - Mayo was responsible for the big Bradshaw dump off gain and Boss's TD - Way too much thinking and slow reaction time - one would hope that should get alot better - or not

No question about it, this is the 10th overall pick, who for some reason has seemingly regressed and has not improved over the last year. I am not sure what's going on with him, I hope it improves. He hasn't made any plays in quite sometime. Spikes has shown alot more to me than Mayo has and I would expect less from Spikes at this point.

I'm loving this board today. 5 minutes ago Deus throws up a pic of He-Man and now this. Outstanding!

Jeez, thanks for bringing that picture out. Hey, I was just having a bad day and I thought it would be cool to strip naked and jump on the back of a police cruiser. Why continue to mock me with that?

This is another reason why we are so fortunate that BB has 35 years of experience in coaching, as opposed to McDaniels, out in Denver, who has just a few years. BB has seen and knows that it takes time for players to emerge and flourish, and because of that, is not going to change the system, is not going to give up on Mayo or our young backfield. They can only learn through reps. This new defense is all of one year old. Possibly this season, but definitely within the next two season, they will be a truly vaunted D.

The defense stinks today and if it improves a lot, it has a shot at average. Using the word vaunted anytime soon is laughable.

Jeez, thanks for bringing that picture out. Hey, I was just having a bad day and I thought it would be cool to strip naked and jump on the back of a police cruiser. Why continue to mock me with that?
Until you kick that herring habit, you will be mock drafted whenever and wherever we catch you sun bathing.

The defense stinks today and if it improves a lot, it has a shot at average. Using the word vaunted anytime soon is laughable.

Well, it's been vented quite a bit lately.

If the pre-season games are any indication of the regular season, and this is a big IF, this year will be a lot like the 2005 year when we won games based solely on the play of Brady. The defense is terrible and will be bad this year. What worries me is that the defense is not in transition but filled with players that stink. The whole D-lines needs to be rebuilt as does the LB crue. Mayo is no Patrick Willis, to say the least.

The DEs all stink;
the OLBs all stink;
the ILBs (exc. Guyton) & SSs cannot cover NFL-calibre TEs;
the FS would rather appear on "Jacked-Up" than make a proper tackle;
the 2nd-year CB is even softer than last year;
the #3 CB is always injured, and the #4 CB just plain sux;
and our best DE & our best CB are gone for the year.

Otherwise, we're in great shape.

Excellent observation. I did not realize they were flexing out just to trigger our D to reset. I wish I had DVR to see this, because it makes such a big difference.
I'm going to check it on my DVR today. You can definitely tell when the Pats are running the soft zone scheme, because they really suck at it. They are much more of a man team at this point.

The DEs all stink;
the OLBs all stink;
the ILBs (exc. Guyton) & SSs cannot cover NFL-calibre TEs;
the FS would rather appear on "Jacked-Up" than make a proper tackle;
the 2nd-year CB is even softer than last year;
the #3 CB is always injured, and the #4 CB just plain sux;
and our best DE & our best CB are gone for the year.

Otherwise, we're in great shape.

It's posters like you who stink.

Fine by if they play some more man schemes. Never really liked the zone crap anyway. Man up, man handle, and send some damn pressure. Bring it from all over the place. Keep the OLine guessing as to where the heat is coming from next.

I'm going to check it on my DVR today. You can definitely tell when the Pats are running the soft zone scheme, because they really suck at it. They are much more of a man team at this point.

Are you able to make DVD's off your DVRs? I'd gladly pay for game DVDs.

It's posters like you who stink.
Please don't say stink, if you must say something say smells, but only if you must. (I think I've got that movie line semi-correct ... ) Don't allow Capt. Downer to get you riled up, he's the dark side of the schwartz. :p

Dark%20Helmet.jpg

Last edited:
As a long time Pats fan, I understand the team is going through a transition...but it's frustrating as heck. Tom Brady is not getting any younger....putting a solid defense together sooner, rather than later, would be a good thing. The way I see it, this defense is at least two years away. Brady will be 35. Just hate that we are not taking advantge of having one of the greatest qb's to ever play the game. And yes, I sound spoiled. Maybe I am. I feel like I deserve it though....I sat on aluminum seats while Hugh Millen was getting beat up like a rented mule (and Lisa Olsen was getting a special introduction in the lockerroom post game).
Two years away from what?
This would be far from the first time that a yound defense came together and player very well in the NFL.
I think its just so wrong that we expect the only way we can have an effective defense is to get 11 players that are clones of the 2003 Patriots.
Frankly, I dont see this defense being much, if any worse than what we have had the last 2 years.
2 years ago we were 11-5. What would we have been if Brady never got injured? Easily at least 13-3/
Last year, what would we have been if Brady were 100%, which he looks like right now??? What would the 2009 Pats have been with the 2007 Brady? There is no doubt we win at least 2 more games (even if he was just the old Brady in the 4th quarter alone) so we would have been at least 12-4, 13-3 if we needed to beat Houston.
I think everyone is focussed on the wrong thing. People are sounding like they are giving up on the season because we don't have a defense that could win the SB with the Bills offense. We only need a defense good enough to win with Tom Brady and all of these weapons. I am very, very confident we will have that.

The point I have been trying to make is that players "click" at different points in their careers. If you want to cut everyone who doesn't make any impact after 1 or 2 years, you are never going to have a quality team.

Just have to continue to be patient. This defense will eventually click.

It would also help if the people trashing Msyo actually bothered to learn what his responsibilities are, but I know thats asking a lot./

Hate to be negative nelly but on average, the more question marks entering a season, the more issues a team will likely have...

Question Marks In Key Areas-

Qb-No
RB-Yes
OL-Yes
WR-No
TE-No

DL-No (run D)
DE-Yes (run D and pass rush)
Overall Pass Rush-Yes
Overall Run D-Yes/No
Overall Pass D-Yes
CB-Pass D-Yes
Safety-No
K-No
P-Yes/No

Can the kids develop and evolve into impact contributors? Yes.

Will there be speed-bumps? Sure

Will they ALL become impact players-No

Will some? Sure.

I'm still saying 11-5/10-6 b/c as I said, some kids will emerge and players. Some will struggle and others will not produce. 10-11 wins will be on the arm of TB and will cover up some of the warts and issues until the kids are in a groove.

My .02$

How are RB and OL a question mark? We know what we have, and they are proven units. The OL has been one of the best pass blocking OLs in the NFL for years, and is an average to average + run blocking line.
Neither unit is the best in the NFL and we do have one new starter out of 5 OL, but those are hardly question marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back