PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why didn't anyone pick us in 2001?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I hear alot folks comparing the Giants to us against the Rams in 01'.

I have one problem with that.

Not ONE EFFING person anywhere picked us to win or even keep it close.

We had not a chance in hell.

However......

The Giants after beating Tampa Bay, which is not that big a deal.

Beating a hugely overrated Dallas team.....and beating an equally overatted and immature Green Bay team.....

are playing against .......

The first team to ever go 18-0

Against arguably the greatest coach in history.

Against arguably the greatest QB in history.

Against.....without argument......the most mentally tough team in NFL history.

.....and people see an outright Giants victory.

They see the Giants as a bad match-up for us.

WHY?

Because they have a porous secondary which plays into our strength.

Because we have a great O-line which counters the strength of their D.

I'll make a prediction.

This game will get ugly very fast.

24-3 Pats by halftime.

Last edited:
Condi Rice kind of, sort of, not really, ok didn't actually pick us. But she did tell Larry King that if the game was close in the 4th quarter against the Rams, she thought we had a great chance of winning.

But I understand your point.

It has nothing to do with the 2007 Giants and everything to do with the 2007 Patriots.

The Rams did not have Spygate, Running up the score gate, BB is a jerk gate, and whatever other gate you want. People in America HATE this Patriots team, and that includes mediots and the blogger type. People are looking for reasons the Giants will win because they WANT them to win.

All your "facts" and "statistics" are meaningless to them. It's about nothing more than jealousy and dislike, and that's it.

I already blew off steam about this in another thread...but, I do not know why a ton of "experts" see it differently this time around...

I think people are forgetting just how big of an upset 2001 was. 2001 is the very reason some of the mediots are mulling over if the Giants could win.

I already blew off steam about this in another thread...but, I do not know why a ton of "experts" see it differently this time around...
For every talking head on TV I see pick the giants, I see five picking the Patriots. Let's see who the ESPN guys and the Inside the NFL guys (except Costas) pick.

For every talking head on TV I see pick the giants, I see five picking the Patriots. Let's see who the ESPN guys and the Inside the NFL guys (except Costas) pick.

really? Who have you seen pick the Pats? Just curious...just seen the "Giants quietly confident", "they can beat Goliath"...blah, blah, bla...

Don't forget, the Rams' offensive players were begging Mike Martz to call running plays vs. the Pats' 3-2-6 defense. Martz said "I'm gonna win it my way," or words to that effect.

You think BB won't make the right adjustments? This offense has passed and/or run to victory 18 times this year, whatever was necessary. Not sure about the final spread, but you've got to feel good about a team that scored 22 unanswered in Week 17.

Sterling Sharpe was the one analyst who thought the Pats could win in 2001 and unlike some of the analysts this year who are doing it just to be contrarian and throwing out cliches like the Giants are hot he actually backed it up with an analysis based on game tapes that was close to what really happened.

Too bad his brother is one of the biggest idiot analysts (players) ever.

Are you guys serious? Everyone picking the Giants? All I'm hearing on ESPN, NFL Network, and Sirius NFL radio is how the Pats are going to run away with their undefeated season. People are saying how well the Giants played them last time and how they MIGHT stand a chance but they're just hyping the SB.

Didn't Boomer Esiason pick us to win in 2001?

Believe it or not, Borges also predicted a Pats victory, IIRC.

Its amazing how many ppl think that the HC could was able to beat more talented teams in 2001 will now lose to a far lesser talented team.

I remember Joe Theisman picked us in 01. I believe M.Hoge. OK pick yourself up off of the floor did too. And, from the media I believe Sal Paolantonio(sp?) did too.

I hear alot folks comparing the Giants to us against the Rams in 01'.

I have one problem with that.

Not ONE EFFING person anywhere picked us to win or even keep it close.

We had not a chance in hell.

Wrong!

Here is the greatest prediction piece ever....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs01/columns/theismann_joe/1321825.html

Merril Hoge (!) also picked the Pats over the Rams. Though it should be noted that Mike Martz had insulted him in his news conference after the divisional playoffs.

Believe it or not, Borges also predicted a Pats victory, IIRC.

Borges predicted the Pats to lose 70-0. He got crap for years because of it and he claimed he was only joking.

Forget the idiot media. I still can't believe VEGAS of all people have the Giants at only a 4-1 dog most places. That's saying something. They're only a 4-1 dog vs us? When Vegas had it's predictions of who would be favored by what, which is an unofficial rough estimate conducted prior to the playoffs, we were listed as 17 pt favorites against the Giants. Now we're barely 13 pt favorites! That's a little disrespectful, figured the Giants would at least be 6-1 underdogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST