PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why am i supposed to believe that Tony Dungy is a good person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to put something like that on your online profile, which you know everybody will see, you have to be a complete wacko. I don't have one bit of sympathy for what happened to him after that disgusting attack on my race. Good riddance.

What a hateful thing to say...I'm going to pray for you and your anger issues. Way, way out of line. When was the last time you talked to a young kid? Any young kid? They are all crazy these days...the culture is rotting....most of them pull through it eventually and come out fine. ..Tony's son should have just waited 5 years and he would have been fine.

Last edited:
Yeah but having one of the largest coaching trees in the NFL, Winning a SB as a player and coach (never been done) being the First black coach to win one, and having his win percentage with the chance he'll add a little more bling DOES make him a lock, and you're foolish to think he won't be in it, that won't even be argued.

He may very well go to the HOF, I don't really doubt it. But Belichick has won 5 count them 5 super Bowl rings and has an extensive coaching tree himself. I don't think its as great a lock as BB.

He may very well go to the HOF, I don't really doubt it. But Belichick has won 5 count them 5 super Bowl rings and has an extensive coaching tree himself. I don't think its as great a lock as BB.

Yeah that was never a question BB is a 1st Ballot HOF, my point is that Dungy will be in there with him

I agree with you 100% on that one. BB and Brady are really the only absolute locks that I can think of right now aside from Parcells.

Yeah that was never a question BB is a 1st Ballot HOF, my point is that Dungy will be in there with him

Remember though Boomer that if you are being onjective, you know people will say "Dungy had great players...of course he won...I could have won with those players"

It's the same for Terry Francona....I'm not saying it's right, but it is there.

Last edited:
I wish people just masterbated everytime they were going to pray. It would make people much easier to deal with.

Maybe so, I get carried away with these things.

All I say to you is that if you are fortunate enough to have children, that nothing as painful as losing one of your own to something as horrible as suicide ever happens to you, because it's easy to make the disgusting statements you made over the internet, losing someone you love to Suicide isn't. And thats my last reply to you

Last edited:
Maybe so, I get carried away with these things.

I hear you, but sometimes it is wise to take a mandatory 15 second delay before posting and think about it before you go too far.

I'll only make this special argument for you since you're a mod

I dont know if you are trying to or not but you have failed to answer the question.

Dungy SAYS he has faith and follows it to the letter. We don't even need to get into the list as long as my arm of people who have said the same thing and ACTED differently. You simply cannot know whether Dungy lives what he preaches. Saying he didn't cry at his sons funeral, or he doesn't yell just does not answer that question.

I do not know whether Dungy is the greatest guy in the world or a phony scumbag. But you don't either.
I think you are showing exactly the point that was being elicited by the original poster.
You are using hyperbole and assumption to create a circular argument.

The argument is:
The IMAGE of Dungy is that he is some kind of great guy. But is the IMAGE consistent with the truth.
The only arguments you have been able to make are to recite all of the impressions about his image.

The image is he is a great guy because he is religous and doesn't yell or swear.
There are many religous people that dont yell or swear publicly that are stealing people blind, cheating on their wives with hookers, addicted to drugs, etc.

The point was what EVIDENCE other than image and labels is there that Dungy is a great guy.
The fact that you have none doesn't prove he is not, it just proves that he is labeled something that may or may not have any basis in truth.

Remember though Boomer that if you are being onjective, you know people will say "Dungy had great players...of course he won...I could have won with those players"

It's the same for Terry Francona....I'm not saying it's right, but it is there.

True, but then again that argument can be made for every coach in the HOF who had a team with great players. But in the end it doesn't matter because he did accomplish what he has.

When Dungy came to Tampa it was one of the worst franchises EVER in the NFL, and he built that Tampa tradition I don't care what anyone says about that Chuckie fraud, he built that team that defense everything from the ground up and had it yanked away from him he was ready to reap the awards, so i call it a bit of good Karma that he happened to fall right into Peyton Harrison and Edge (The triplets at the time) He would have gotten a ring out for that Tampa group I really believe, but who am i but some Colts homer?

Last edited:
What I really don't understand is why we're even really talking about the relative morality of the two coaches. I understand it was brought up as a topic this week by Easterbrook, but there is SOO much more relevant stuff to talk about and debate. I mean, we're dealing with things you really can't quantify, and that I think have little effect on the outcome of the game on the fandom.

Sure, Dungy is a swell person, but were Colts fans all pulling for him or singing his praises when he was in Tampa? Or, would NE fans be cheering on BB if he wasn't the Patriots coach? Of course not. All this can really lead to is unwanted ugliness.

IMHO.

What I really don't understand is why we're even really talking about the relative morality of the two coaches. I understand it was brought up as a topic this week by Easterbrook, but there is SOO much more relevant stuff to talk about and debate. I mean, we're dealing with things you really can't quantify, and that I think have little effect on the outcome of the game on the fandom.

Sure, Dungy is a swell person, but were Colts fans all pulling for him or singing his praises when he was in Tampa? Or, would NE fans be cheering on BB if he wasn't the Patriots coach? Of course not. All this can really lead to is unwanted ugliness.

IMHO.

Easterbook is a slimy toad who makes his living off of commenting on the actions of other people. I'm a Christian, but I honestly don't know what I would say to that man in a dark alley. Scumbag...

Last edited:

IMHO.

I can only speak for myself, but I am in this debate, because when I came ot the thread it was 4 pages deep, and no one had answered the question.
I thought it was a pretty simple question, but instead of giving answers, people have just pontificated. I'm still waiting to hear why I should look up to Tony Dungy. Perhaps I should, but the reasons given so far: He says he is religious, doesnt yell at people, and doesn't swear, give me no more reason to look up to him than to people who avoid religion, yell and swear.
I know many people who claim to be religous, are quiet and don't swear that are scumbags, and know boisterous people who swear and are not religous that I would go into a foxhole with.

True, but then again that argument can be made for every coach in the HOF who had a team with great players. But in the end it doesn't matter because he did accomplish what he has.

When Dungy came to Tampa it was one of the worst franchises EVER in the NFL, and he built that Tampa tradition I don't care what anyone says about that Chuckie fraud, he built that team that defense everything from the ground up and had it yanked away from him he was ready to reap the awards, so i call it a bit of good Karma that he happened to fall right into Peyton Harrison and Edge (The triplets at the time) He would have gotten a ring out for that Tampa group I really believe, but who am i but some Colts homer?

Decent points...I actually forget that Dungy even existed pre-Colts. He did get hosed in Tampa...though BB got hosed in Cleveland as well.

I can only speak for myself, but I am in this debate, because when I came ot the thread it was 4 pages deep, and no one had answered the question.
I thought it was a pretty simple question, but instead of giving answers, people have just pontificated. I'm still waiting to hear why I should look up to Tony Dungy. Perhaps I should, but the reasons given so far: He says he is religious, doesnt yell at people, and doesn't swear, give me no more reason to look up to him than to people who avoid religion, yell and swear.
I know many people who claim to be religous, are quiet and don't swear that are scumbags, and know boisterous people who swear and are not religous that I would go into a foxhole with.

I'll help out on this on AJ...I think that one could make an argument for looking up to Dungy because he has been at the top of his profesion. At one point in time, he was one of the best at what he does. To me, the is always something to admire about all successful people wether you like them or not. How's that?

I dont know if you are trying to or not but you have failed to answer the question.

Dungy SAYS he has faith and follows it to the letter. We don't even need to get into the list as long as my arm of people who have said the same thing and ACTED differently. You simply cannot know whether Dungy lives what he preaches. Saying he didn't cry at his sons funeral, or he doesn't yell just does not answer that question.

I do not know whether Dungy is the greatest guy in the world or a phony scumbag. But you don't either.
I think you are showing exactly the point that was being elicited by the original poster.
You are using hyperbole and assumption to create a circular argument.

The argument is:
The IMAGE of Dungy is that he is some kind of great guy. But is the IMAGE consistent with the truth.
The only arguments you have been able to make are to recite all of the impressions about his image.

The image is he is a great guy because he is religous and doesn't yell or swear.
There are many religous people that dont yell or swear publicly that are stealing people blind, cheating on their wives with hookers, addicted to drugs, etc.

The point was what EVIDENCE other than image and labels is there that Dungy is a great guy.
The fact that you have none doesn't prove he is not, it just proves that he is labeled something that may or may not have any basis in truth.

Well seeing how NONE of us know anybody that we see or or shwon or TV I guess its LOGICAL that you would judge somebody off of their Actions, their demeanor, how they carry themselves and from Public perceptions. I never knew hitler but I can safely say he wasn't a great person, I never Met Mother Teresea either but I can say she was a pretty good person based off of the available evidence

You say Dungy's image isn't consitent with the "truth" So what exactly is your truth? because here in reality Dungy hasn't given, shown, written said, or acted in any way to make me say that he is not a person that should looked up to and followed as a role model, that he is not the person he claims to be, but since you have this 'truth' that I don't, I'm sure you can give me some CONCRETE reasons that you have observed that would make you believe he doesn't live a life consitent with the way he carries himself around his players, the media, the respect he has from his peers, the respect he has for the game, the respect he has from his players and the stories from the many people close to him, that don't speak of this "truth" that you are referring to?

Or maybe it's just that the truth is maybe Dungy is the person he claims to be, the person he acts like, talks like, and walks like, that maybe this "truth" you speak of is really just your Colts bias wanting him to be something other than what every thing points to him being....???

Last edited:
Wow, 8 pages on this nonsense thread.

Lets try this. Aren't all people "good" until they do or say something "bad"? So both BB and Dungy are good people because they haven't done or said anything bad,IMO.

Now in some peoples opinion neither one are "good". But in many other peoples opinions both are "good". Believe what the hell you want.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back