PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with all this Brady is declining crap??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really thought Gronk was wide open on that one. Defender was trailing well behind.

He was open, on THAT one and lost it in the sun, but I agree with the guy who said he was trying to force it to Gronk too much. It paid for some of the game, but really cost us in other areas. It was like everyone else disappeared from Brady's view.

Amendola had a concussion. He'll be back. How long he can stay on the field after that is up for discussion.

As for Brady, he's been playing fine given what he's had to deal with. I listed them all. But the inability of our WR's to get open quickly on underneath routes is killing him. He's having to hold the ball longer which is causing the weakness in the OL (that being interior pass protection) to get exposed. As a result, he's getting more pressure in his face and having to force things. I'm not totally excusing him, though. The throw on the Pick-6 was an awful one where he threw a laser instead of putting air under it. If he puts more air under that ball, Gronk is running for another 10-15 yards. But to say he's been abysmal is idiotic. He's actually been very good for what he's been given, courtesy of the front office moves (or lack thereof) in the offseason regarding the receiver position.

I agree with all of this, but the weird thing to me is that he's also missing (either not seeing open receivers or making bad throws to open receivers) guys even when he's got time to make a sandwich in the pocket.

He's not declining but that pick-6 pass was a piece of crap that never should have left his hands and lost us the game.

I was listening to the game on the radio, and I saw some brief highlights later, but I was under the impression that Brady made a bad throw. Thought he could have dropped the ball in over the top to him and just threw a bad ball.

Stastically, Brady is having a bad year, but his job is to help the team win games, and he's not any worse at that this year than he has been in the past. He's pulled out wins in two games we probably should've lost (@Buff and NO) with late drives, and he drove to tie it yesterday. That's the same TB12 who won three rings IMO.

I was listening to the game on the radio, and I saw some brief highlights later, but I was under the impression that Brady made a bad throw. Thought he could have dropped the ball in over the top to him and just threw a bad ball.

Stastically, Brady is having a bad year, but his job is to help the team win games, and he's not any worse at that this year than he has been in the past. He's pulled out wins in two games we probably should've lost (@Buff and NO) with late drives, and he drove to tie it yesterday. That's the same TB12 who won three rings IMO.

The Brady who won three rings and was playing even up to last year would have creamed that jets team

I agree with all of this, but the weird thing to me is that he's also missing (either not seeing open receivers or making bad throws to open receivers) guys even when he's got time to make a sandwich in the pocket.

What's alarming to me is that even when he has time, he misses (doesn't see) guys who are wide open. It tells me that he locks on to receivers pre-snap and doesn't go through his progression.

As much as he threw to Gronk yesterday, there was a key play late that Gronk was wide open and Brady didn't even see him in the middle of the field. It looked like he was predetermined to throw it to Edelman before the play started. I've seen this more often this year.

I noted that yesterday when I admitted that he had open WR's and still forced the ball to Gronk. To me, it was either he didn't trust the receivers after the drops, or that he liked the match-up Gronk provided vs. their secondary better. Not sure what it was, but this wasn't Brady's finest hour either.

I still think Brady's struggles are more a mixture of poor line play, inexperience with his receivers and their struggles with the offense, and him trying to do too much at times. I don't buy he is getting old or declining.

There might be a slight decline, but he is not showing things that come with age for a QB. He still has a quick release when he is confident in his receiver. He still throws the ball really deep and usually overthrows his receiver if he is off target (he would underthrowing more if it was because he is getting old). He still can move around the pocket to avoid the rush (at least when the defender doesn't have a clean shot at him unblocked like has been happening the last few games).

When a QB gets old, his release gets slower, his deep balls get shallower, and his mobility slows down. None of that is Brady's problem this year.
Regarding mobility I'm not so sure...his usual pocket presence may not be the same as it used to be

The Brady who won three rings and was playing even up to last year would have creamed that jets team

Brady has always missed throws; all quarterbacks do. I almost went bald in 06 from him missing throws. His performance against SD in the playoffs was bad, but he dug in and made some clutch drives happen.

Brady of last year needed a couple of fortunate calls in the defensive secondary (in a home game) to march down and kick a field goal before Sanchez got strip-sacked.

I get that it's a major bummer to lose to your mouthy rivals, but our two losses are away games against teams with good defenses. I'm not saying this team is super bowl bound, but the Patriots teams that have made it deep into the playoffs have had some ugly divisional showings (@Buff 03, @Miami 04, NYJ 06, @Miami 06, @Buff 11). Did Brady really go from godsend to garbage heap in two weeks? No, he had a bad week; it happens, and he'll move on.

Brady has lost games 31-0 and 21-0 and has been walloped by the Steelers and many other teams in his best years.

Jason (Los Angeles)

I will give you the answer and you can come up with the question:"It's not like we have Aaron Rodgers waiting in the wings."

Tedy
(2:12 PM)

Question: What is a Patriots fan who has lost perspective thinking right now?

HAHAHA

I think when it really counts, like at the end of regulation yesterday or a week ago, Brady turns it on. However, when the pressure isn't on, it really does seem like he's not his old self. Or rather, he is his "old" self. It's entirely possible that he really is aging and declining, and it happens to everyone who plays the game into his late thirties. Maybe he's not declining, there's a very good chance this is just a rough patch along with the depleted receiving corps, but we can't just rule out the possibility that he's declining because "he's Tom Brady the GOAT!!!!!"

One more thing, the big difference between Brady's heroics at the end of the Saints game and the blunders at the end of the Jets game are Kenbrell's catch, Gronk's drop, and the bogus pick penalty against Gronk on Bolden's TD. If there's no pick penalty (and all the sportscenter/NFL/CBS types universally agreed it was a bad call) Patriots score a TD there and win.

Also, putting this in another post because it's unrelated to my other thoughts, pretty much every team loses divisional games. It's entirely unrealistic to expect the Patriots to sweep the division every year, no matter how much better they seem than the other teams in the AFCE (and for the record, all three of the other teams seem very solid this year).

+1

Sadly I think we're witnessing the twilight of Brady's career and his greatness is slowly fading away like a sunset. Sure we'll still see some spectacular moments but the darkness is likely approaching.

One more thing, the big difference between Brady's heroics at the end of the Saints game and the blunders at the end of the Jets game are Kenbrell's catch, Gronk's drop, and the bogus pick penalty against Gronk on Bolden's TD. If there's no pick penalty (and all the sportscenter/NFL/CBS types universally agreed it was a bad call) Patriots score a TD there and win.

Have to disagree with you there. The pick by Gronk was pretty blatant. It didn't help that he threw his hands up in the air in an abvious attempt to make it seem like the guy ran into him. Pulled that move right from the NBA. The game announcers said it was a good call.

Gronk almost made a miraculous one handed catch. Wouldnt really classify it as a drop.

Regarding mobility I'm not so sure...his usual pocket presence may not be the same as it used to be

IDK, I think it is close to the same. I think he is having more of a problem of holding onto the ball too long waiting for his receivers to get open. It makes his pocket presence suffer at times.

Greetings,
I don't know about creaming them, but he would have played a lot better than he is this season. It also does not help that the pass catchers are not as good this year either, if he is declining that is the last thing you want to see. Then the injuries to the best defensive player, two which will miss the rest of the season. The gameplan was not the greatest either!!
Celticboy04

He didn't cream the 8-8 Broncos 2001. He didn't cream the 5-11 Redskins in 2003. He didn't cream the 4-12 Dolphins in 2004. He didn't cream the 5-11 Cardinals last year.

You have an offense that was decimated in the off season ny boneheaded players(hernandez) and BB giving TB an almost all rookie WR core and of coure he is going to look like he is declining.

- The O-line looks the same to me. Healthy or not healthy.

- The WRs have their moments, the number have drops have definitely decreased. They're not last year's bunch, but they're good enough.

The problem with Brady is Brady. As much as I hate to say it, he's not Drew Brees(he throws the prettiest deep passes I've ever seen). When the defenses are playing the WRs man-to-man, especially deep, Brady cannot deliver a catchable pass. It's nothing new from where I sit. Blaming the O-line is too much, most of the sacks on Brady this year, came from him holding the ball too long.
The problem is, when defenses, like the Giants did in the last SB, take away the intermediate passing routes and apply pressure, it seems Brady is screwed because he's forced to go deep. He's either gonna get sacked, throw the ball away or overthrow the deep WR. The Giants scheme seems to be the blueprint to stopping Brady and the Jets used it yesterday after the first half.
Other than that, Brady just doesn't seem to be fired up about the game this year. It's like playing with scrubs for WRs and RBs has really destroyed his confidence.

If only Martinez were still alive to help Brady get his confidence back.

Well at least those donkeys got whooped. It made my Sunday a whole lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back