PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with all this Brady is declining crap??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right shoulder injury is back! :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Patriots QB Tom Brady added to injury report. Limited participation today. Right shoulder.

The thing is, he still has a good arm, I don't see much evidence for physical decline, save for accuracy, but is that more a mechanical thing? It's his decision making that has been really bad.

Declining? No, I wouldn't say that yet. An awful season so far? I think that's hard to argue.

Of course he is declining. He's had his shoulder scoped a number of times over the years, and he's never recovered his mobility from his 2008 injury. He's taking shots this year, he took shots earlier. He was never a great athlete like some of these QB's now, it's his brain that is his #1 weapon, then his accuracy and the very complex offenses erected around him.

Manning has lost a lot off his ball, but he's not exposed to as much pressure as Brady, and his options are much better in practice than paper this season. Elway was another guy that was in decline, but he got his running game, and as a complimentary player (esp in the 2nd title year) won a ring. Brady can still win another ring, but he'll need the support (read top 5) of at least two of these three things: running game, D, and guys to pass to - in order to actually pull it off, and the 3rd thing better be top 10.

Aaron Rodgers:

2011: 68.3% completions

2012: 67.2% completions

2013: 65.0% completions

2011: 45 TDs

2012: 39 TDs

2013: 13 TDs (on pace for 35 TDs)

2011: 6 INTs

2012: 8 INTs

2013: 4: INTs (on pace for 11 INTs)

2011: 9.0 TD%, 1.2 INT%

2012: 7.1 TD%, 1.4 INT%

2013: 5.9 TD%, 1.8 INT%

2011: 122.5 QB rating

2012: 108.0 QB rating

2013: 104.5 QB rating

Aaron Rodgers must be all washed up ..... :eek:

So he's had a 15% drop-off from his peak in 2011. Brady's 33% off his peak year (post ACL) in 2010 (75 rating vs. 111). Pretty big difference there.

Do people realize that this is the following line Brady is on pace for?

4636 yards passing, 6.0 YPA, 18 TDs, 11 INTs, 55% completion rating

He's basically playing like vintage Sam Bradford.

I get it. The OL is worse than usual (but still well above NFL average). The WRs are not great. But c'mon people, at some point you have to accept Brady is part of the problem. He's 26th in QB rating, 30th in YPA, 29th in completion %, and 19th in QBR. We're bottom three in red zone offense and bottom five in 3rd down offense. By almost any metric, even with the issues, he's played below even an average QB.

And the OL is nowhere near as big an issue as people are making it out to be. The Pats are still have the 8th-fewest sacks per passing attempt in the NFL. They're also averaging 4.2 YPC, good for 11th in the NFL.

Tom has faced at least as big hurdles in prior years and outperformed these current numbers by a mile; this would be his worst statistical season ever and it wouldn't even be remotely close. The WRs have been a big issue, but the last two weeks they've significantly reduced the drops; in fact drops were a total non-factor against the Jets.

Bottom line, the WRs have to stop dropping the ball as much, the OL needs to communicate better on pressure up the middle, and Brady needs to get the ball to the WRs quicker and more accurately. They're all a part of the problem, but when you're the highest-paid player on the team and the best player in franchise history, the onus lies on you to carry the other parts. That's why he's the highest paid player on the team.

So he's had a 15% drop-off from his peak in 2011. Brady's 33% off his peak year (post ACL) in 2010 (75 rating vs. 111). Pretty big difference there.

He's had declines in every one one of those categories, each year. The percentage is irrelevant, as you surely know. Rodgers is obviously done. We don't need to look into factors. Aaron Rodgers is in his decline, at 30 years of age.

Sorry, but you can't pretend things matter for one guy and not the other.

He's had declines in every one one of those categories, each year. The percentage is irrelevant, as you surely know. Rodgers is obviously done. We don't need to look into factors. Aaron Rodgers is in his decline, at 30 years of age.

Sorry, but you can't pretend things matter for one guy and not the other.

I know you are dripping with sarcasm, but I still have literally no idea what the hell you are talking about. I thought the whole point is that QBs are impacted by injuries/skill position WRs. Rodgers has gone from video-game numbers to merely great numbers. Brady has gone from MVP numbers to "hey is that Sam Bradford?" numbers. The scale of the decline definitely matters.

Of course he is declining. He's had his shoulder scoped a number of times over the years, and he's never recovered his mobility from his 2008 injury. He's taking shots this year, he took shots earlier. He was never a great athlete like some of these QB's now, it's his brain that is his #1 weapon, then his accuracy and the very complex offenses erected around him.

Manning has lost a lot off his ball, but he's not exposed to as much pressure as Brady, and his options are much better in practice than paper this season. Elway was another guy that was in decline, but he got his running game, and as a complimentary player (esp in the 2nd title year) won a ring. Brady can still win another ring, but he'll need the support (read top 5) of at least two of these three things: running game, D, and guys to pass to - in order to actually pull it off, and the 3rd thing better be top 10.

Elway's best years as a passer were at the age of 38 and 39. Before that, he used to drive the ball into the ground and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Talk about poor mechanics!

Of course, it was nice of him to play on a team exceeding the salary cap, a team that used questionable offensive line blocking techniques, a team that turned several low drafted and UDFA RBs into Pro Bowlers.

my point was more that lets see how rodgers stats look going from throwing to nelson, cobb, jones, finley to Nelson and...no one else..I would expect he isnt going to look as good.

in the same way, Brady went from throwing to welker, lloyd, gronk,hernandez, woodhead to....2 rookies learning the game on the fly, Julian Edelman(who hadn't had 400+ yards prior to this season) and a TE/RB who were nonfactors in the passing game. and then a gronk coming back in his first game in a year.

brady certainly hasnt been his best. but given the supporting cast he has had to work with, how much can you judge him fairly?

this weekend is a far better barometer...finally he has his 3 best receivers on the field together first time all season in Gronk, amendola, Edelman on the field...and gasp im expecting his performance to be much better.

I'm interested to see how Aaron Rodgers does this week throwing to jordy nelson and a bunch of nobodies..if he doesn't have a spectacular game..I wonder if he is declining?

my point was more that lets see how rodgers stats look going from throwing to nelson, cobb, jones, finley to Nelson and...no one else..I would expect he isnt going to look as good.

in the same way, Brady went from throwing to welker, lloyd, gronk,hernandez, woodhead to....2 rookies learning the game on the fly, Julian Edelman(who hadn't had 400+ yards prior to this season) and a TE/RB who were nonfactors in the passing game. and then a gronk coming back in his first game in a year.

brady certainly hasnt been his best. but given the supporting cast he has had to work with, how much can you judge him fairly?

this weekend is a far better barometer...finally he has his 3 best receivers on the field together first time all season in Gronk, amendola, Edelman on the field...and gasp im expecting his performance to be much better.

Rodgers vs CLE, 25/36 (69.44%), 260 yds, 3 td, 0 int, 117.8 rat, 7.22 ypa, 1 sack for 7 yds, 4 rushes for 12 yds

Rodgers @ MIN, 24/29 (82.76%), 285 yds, 2 td, 0 int, 130.6 rat, 9.83 ypa, 2 sacks for 3 yds, 6 rushes for 31 yds

It's like he didn't miss a beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye