PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers Wanted Brady For 2023

Boomer B

In the Starting Line-Up
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Brock Purdy said in an interview that going into this season that Kyle Shanahan wanted Brady for 2023 but Brady declined. Must have been tempting for Brady but I guess being close to his kids in Florida was his #1 priority.

“Early in the offseason, Niners coach Kyle Shanahan sat down with Purdy and assured him that if he was healthy he would be the starter unless Brady wanted to play one more season for his hometown Niners. . . . ‘That meant so much to me,’ Purdy said. ‘I remember him saying, if we can get Tom Brady, we’re going to try to get him. And I was like, “Yeah, he’s the GOAT. I get it.”

Brady also said he almost came back this year man! Well that’s tgere fault could’ve had 2 super bowls when he wanted to come earlier

Brady in that team would’ve gone 17-0. Thank god he didn’t go there.

Can they sign him to the practice squad now ready for the Super Bowl? ;)

Brady in that team would’ve gone 17-0. Thank god he didn’t go there.

Can they sign him to the practice squad now ready for the Super Bowl? ;)
And would not have had to worry about the Giants in the superbowl either.... LOL

Brady to Kittel for touchdowns

Nothing left to prove. Taking on another new team and offensive system at 46 was probably a bridge too far. I’m absolutely sure he could have handled it however!

Bump. Shanahan confirmed this. I’m shocked Tom turned it down.

The whole divorce and last season probably turned off that fire he had to be 100 percent all in.
Good for him nothing left to prove although i would've loved to see it selfishly

Last edited:
The 49ers wanted Brady for a very long time. 2016, 2017... except for 2020. They liked Garoppolo instead.

It's insane Shanahan is talking about how he wanted another QB the week before the SB. How can be so oblivious that this is just a distraction they don't need?

It's insane Shanahan is talking about how he wanted another QB the week before the SB. How can be so oblivious that this is just a distraction they don't need?
It was known before the Championship game Purdy himself admitted it

It’s weird that Steve Marriucci recruited Tom Brady to be the starting QB at Cal in 1997, but didn’t didn’t want to burn a later round pick on him with the 49ers.

This is similar to Richard Sherman being a player at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh, but passed on him repeatedly in the draft. This fueled their eventual rivalry.

It’s weird that Steve Marriucci recruited Tom Brady to be the starting QB at Cal in 1997, but didn’t didn’t want to burn a later round pick on him with the 49ers.

This is similar to Richard Sherman being a player at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh, but passed on him repeatedly in the draft. This fueled their eventual rivalry.
Marriccui said in multiple interviews they had Brady in for a workout with all the Bay Area natives (local combine) and did not show anything.

Don't understand either given that you put a tape on of Brady in college and he showed a lot of the things he did in the pros: poise, mechanics, accuracy. Not to mention the mental toughness to share snaps and run comeback drives on a regular basis.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back