PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's up with all this Brady is declining crap??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people take out their frustration in different ways.

Some say Brady is declining or is terrible. I yelled at and scolded my microwave for burning my popcorn. We all have our methods.

I still think Brady's struggles are more a mixture of poor line play, inexperience with his receivers and their struggles with the offense, and him trying to do too much at times. I don't buy he is getting old or declining.

There might be a slight decline, but he is not showing things that come with age for a QB. He still has a quick release when he is confident in his receiver. He still throws the ball really deep and usually overthrows his receiver if he is off target (he would underthrowing more if it was because he is getting old). He still can move around the pocket to avoid the rush (at least when the defender doesn't have a clean shot at him unblocked like has been happening the last few games).

When a QB gets old, his release gets slower, his deep balls get shallower, and his mobility slows down. None of that is Brady's problem this year.

Rob Brady wont play forever his time is winding down he's mrotal. Both he and his young WR's spend a considerable amount of time in practice trying to get their timing down. Plays that are practiced are called in the huddle. Explain that throw to Aron Dopson deep that was nowhere near him?

I'm a Brady apologist because I think Hall of Famer Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie are better than Edelman, Thompkins and Dobson.

Laughable.

My mistake. I see that the problem is not that you are a Brady apologist, but that you just can't read. Apologies for my confusion.

Rob Brady wont play forever his time is winding down he's mrotal. Both he and his young WR's spend a considerable amount of time in practice trying to get their timing down. Plays that are practiced are called in the huddle. Explain that throw to Aron Dopson deep that was nowhere near him?

Which throw? You mean Brady's perfectly thrown ball that Dobson slowed down on?

My mistake. I see that the problem is not that you are a Brady apologist, but that you just can't read. Apologies for my confusion.

What is bizarre is how fans like you can't tell the difference between a guy that is top 10 in NFL receiving yards in HISTORY, in his prime at the time, and a rookie named Aaron Dobon.

I can't read apparently, but you are comparing one of the top 10 WRs in NFL history to a rookie that has had the dropsies.

And I'm the one that is somehow out of my mind.

Ridiculous.

Which throw? You mean Brady's perfectly thrown ball that Dobson slowed down on?

The one when he beat his man that sailed out of bounds!:mad:

Whether he is declining or injured or something else, he is playing average. Every statistic bears this out. Something is rotten in the state of Foxboro.

The one when he beat his man that sailed out of bounds!:mad:

Gotcha. That was really bad by Brady. But, wouldn't describe it s a deep throw. The one on the money was 50 yards downfield. That one was 25-30, though obviously toward sidelines. Regardless, they converted the next play with a throw to Gronk over the middle.

He has as many pick-6s as he does TDs in the last three games. His receivers certainly arent doing him any favors and he's made a lot of good throws but he's also made a lot of bad throws.

It's reasonable to think he may be declining based on the results. I think he can turn it around if he gets help but like someone else said, waiting for Amendola to get healthy and on the field consistently is wishful thinking. I personally don't have a lot of faith in Thompkins and Dobson for this year. Way too many drops and issues getting to the spot and making a play.

Brady needs he's slot WR and 3rd down back to be the Brady we all know he's had that he's whole career two of he's worst seasons he did not really have a 3rd down back 2009 Kevin Faulk was pretty much done by then and this year so far he needs that quick check down to help the Oline when they are playing a team that can rush the QB inside,

its been welker woodhead and Vereen that have killed the jets the last few years Sunday Edelman and Bolden had a total of 6 rec for 51 yards...bottom line this team is not going to beat anyone if they give up 30 points its not last years offense they need some of the injured players on defense to come back fast Aqib Talib takes away one side of the field and Kelly stops the run and can rush the QB they are going to miss Mayo bad all season but if Talib can get back soon it will help the loss of mayo

Erik Frenz ‏@ErikFrenz 36m

Tom Brady's deep passing accuracy % — 2010: 44.4; 2011: 41.7; 2012: 40.5; 2013: 35.1. (via @PFF)

Some data to chew on at least.

You know what made me somewhat angry yesterday Gronk's 17 Targets. Edelman have been Brady's man up until yesterday. Why was he targeted less than Gronk who was playing for the First Time this year? Brady is a QB who bulid his greatness on spreading the ball around which means going through your progressions. If you target one Player 17 times with four guys i in every pattern, you are not going through your progressions enough.

You know what made me somewhat angry yesterday Gronk's 17 Targets. Edelman have been Brady's man up until yesterday. Why was he targeted less than Gronk who was playing for the First Time this year? Brady is a QB who bulid his greatness on spreading the ball around which means going through your progressions. If you target one Player 17 times with four guys i in every pattern, you are not going through your progressions enough.

Seriously, we're going to complain about that? Gronk was open every time but the pick-6. Lost one in the sun, lost another over the middle, dropped one. But by and large, when Brady went to him, the Patriots converted 3rd downs.

Edelman also had a huge conversion in the game.

If you are waiting for Armendola to come back to make Brady look good, I have a Brooklyn Bridge to sell you. Seriously DA wont be healthy anytime soon he's just too fragile. Brady have been leaving too many plays on the field all year. We are very fortunate to be 5-2 especially with the way he's been playing. Brady's play has been abysmal to say the least.

Amendola had a concussion. He'll be back. How long he can stay on the field after that is up for discussion.

As for Brady, he's been playing fine given what he's had to deal with. I listed them all. But the inability of our WR's to get open quickly on underneath routes is killing him. He's having to hold the ball longer which is causing the weakness in the OL (that being interior pass protection) to get exposed. As a result, he's getting more pressure in his face and having to force things. I'm not totally excusing him, though. The throw on the Pick-6 was an awful one where he threw a laser instead of putting air under it. If he puts more air under that ball, Gronk is running for another 10-15 yards. But to say he's been abysmal is idiotic. He's actually been very good for what he's been given, courtesy of the front office moves (or lack thereof) in the offseason regarding the receiver position.

He's making more bad decisions then he ever has before. He is making poor throws then he ever has before.

I don't know if he is declining or not, but he isn't playing like his normal self right now.

All of those points seem to be borne out on the field, as has been amply pointed out here and in the media, especially the haters.

As to whether he is declining, it's impossible to make that statement, as you observe.

He has lost two of his most potent weapons, replaced by a guy who is probably very good but doesn't seem to be able to stay on the field long enough to show it. He is working with a depleted D that has performed miracles by keeping the Pats in games "long enough" for the most part, but is now being tested to the limit. His O-line has resembled a turnstile too often. The running game (see O-line) has been inconsistent at best.

The only comment I would make is that decline in QB's usually isn't "gradual." The reduced touch...the lost six inches of air under a ball that can turn an INT or defended pass into a long gainer or TD...reaction time that deteriorates by just the microseconds that make the difference between getting rid of the ball in the right place and holding onto it too long or tossing it just a little too high, too low, too short or too far...these things just seem to "show up" for most great QB's over a season or maybe two [Elway and, maybe, Favre might (emphasis on "might") be exceptions to this].

But the other stuff going on around Brady (first paragraph above) makes it impossible to say that now that he is "declining." I still think of him as the League MVP, until he proves otherwise.

Seriously, we're going to complain about that? Gronk was open every time but the pick-6. Lost one in the sun, lost another over the middle, dropped one. But by and large, when Brady went to him, the Patriots converted 3rd downs.

Edelman also had a huge conversion in the game.

I also thought they were forcing it to Gronk. There was that one lob that was almost picked (again) where Gronk broke it up. On the one he lost in the sun the guy had good coverage on him.

Edelman was banged up. Maybe that had something to with it.

He's not declining but that pick-6 pass was a piece of crap that never should have left his hands and lost us the game.

Interesting to note that only Geno Smith has attempted more deep passes than Brady this year (39 to 37). The other thing I've noticed is that he's very much weaker throwing outside the numbers to the right hand side of the field. Much more marked than previous years.

Info comes from PFF.

I also thought they were forcing it to Gronk. There was that one lob that was almost picked (again) where Gronk broke it up. On the one he lost in the sun the guy had good coverage on him.

Edelman was banged up. Maybe that had something to with it.

I really thought Gronk was wide open on that one. Defender was trailing well behind.

Because Edelman dissed Brady in that Saints game :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back