PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with Stevan Ridley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually can't think of anyone, but just watching the "life of a coach" thing and you could just feel how he sees fumbling.
So I don't have any precedence to report.

From 1999-2000, Faulk fumbled once every 35 or so touches. From 2001 on hes fumbled once every 56 or so.

He fixed his issue.

I know I might get hammered on this one :bricks: but I think the wrinkle we might see this week is Shane Vereen.. He is now officially healthy and looked to be gaining some confidence. He showed a ton of burst that I think could cause some matchup issues for the Ravens..

That's not true at all. He ran well last year and at the early part of this year. He's a good goalline back and it's obviously good that he never fumbles. He's just not the long term answer and he's struggled mightily, as of late. If he had been playing as well as he did last year coming into this game, I'd definitely sit Ridley, but he's not. He's completely ineffective right now.

You've never had anything good to say about him. There was a thread earlier in the year where you and I went back and forth debating the merits of Ridley starting over BJGE, and then Woodhead got hurt and BJGE started the next game which was the first game against the Jets and he exploded for 136 yards and 2 TDs, and Ridley had an absolute stinker of a game (7 carries for 13 yards, or 1.8 YPC), and you had absolutely nothing to say about that.

Am I saying BJGE is a superstar? No, far from it. He isn't good at creating his own plays and is at his best when the run-blocking is functioning at a high level which is to say he is dependent. But do I want to cut him or bench him and save him only for goal line situations? No. He does have some value. There are some games where Ridley will shine, and there are other games where BJGE will be more effective. No reason to bash one in favor of the other.

I know I might get hammered on this one :bricks: but I think the wrinkle we might see this week is Shane Vereen.. He is now officially healthy and looked to be gaining some confidence. He showed a ton of burst that I think could cause some matchup issues for the Ravens..

It's either him or Faulk. I would be shocked if Vereen is activated for this game.

What to do with Stevan Ridley?

Do you mean us?

I say we let the coaches work with him this week and study the film to determine if risk/reward of having him in the game plan is worth it. I assume that's happening anyway...... so I really don't have to do anything.

I tell you one thing I will do though. If we're losing and I see and ineffective BJGE and Woodhead banging run after run into the line for no gain while Ridley sits on the bench solely on the "off" chance he MIGHT fumble the ball........ I WILL BOO, and quite loudly too.

We did that last year........ BJGE and Woodhead were being shut down by the Jets and we had nothing to trot out there except 105 year old Fred Taylor to add some spark. I'll be damned if I'll sit back and watch that again while the potential most explosive back sits because he had 2 recent fumbles.

I think our coaches are a little smarter then that though.

Last edited:
2 fumbles in two games, he sits..

Cannot take that risk against a kick ass defensive team..

May not gain as much, but have to stick with BJGE/Woodhead/Faulk.

Parcells used to make the fumbles hold the football all day, everywhere they went. He is so talented. It would suck to have to sit him.

In an ideal world, I'd want to see BGJE on the near side of the 50 (less scary for me), Ridley on the far side (more scary for them)...

Last edited:
Most of you guys are wuss's and ****ies.

"Wuss's **** to Major Frog... Wuss's **** to Major Frog... hide your Pampers now and put your jockstrap on..." :D

Last edited:
In an ideal world, I'd want to see BGJE on the near side of the 50 (less scary for me), Ridley on the far side (more scary for them)...

If we are dominating them with our defense then I don't mind having Ridley carry it after we get pass the 40yd line in their territory.

His little juke before the fumble wasn't fooling anyone, being a little to fancy on that one and got pounced.

I can't see BB benching Ridley for a whole game if there's a strategic need for him on a given play.

EDIT: 2 fumbles all year btw, How bad is that considering he's had 87 touches?

2.3%?

Are you looking at all fumles, or fumbles lost?

Even though I agree that BJGE is the safer choice I still think you have to keep Ridley in the gameplan. Just preach ball security all week, and if he shows signs of not having control pull him. You don't necessarily have to wait until he fumbles, if the ball is squirting around in there sit him down for a while.

Most of you guys are wuss's and ****ies.

why is it that when I talk about the former Pats DB Jimmy Hitch**** I get censored, but this is ok?

So you don't think that Ridley looks like a promising player? And you don't agree that the jury is wholly out on Vereen?

I guess this is further evidence that some fans will find anything to whine about, no matter how inane and insignificant.

So I'm whining because you got your panties in a bunch about my comment? How dare people question the abilities of Patriots players!

why is it that when I talk about the former Pats DB Jimmy Hitch**** I get censored, but this is ok?

Call him Jimmy Hitchpussy instead! :D

Last edited:
I feel for the kid, he is good, flashy, but BB does not hate fumbling backs, he cuts them.

Wayback machine. Kevin "What The?" Faulk had initial trouble securing the rock. Coach saw his talent and they worked with him to address the issue. Post fumble Ridley looked devastated. Coach Fears instead of yelling at the kid, put his arm on his shoulder and talked quietly to him, likely reminding him of drills they'd do to address the issue. Rids has talent and will play unless he has a bad practice week.

Wayback machine. Kevin "What The?" Faulk had initial trouble securing the rock. Coach saw his talent and they worked with him to address the issue. Post fumble Ridley looked devastated. Coach Fears instead of yelling at the kid, put his arm on his shoulder and talked quietly to him, likely reminding him of drills they'd do to address the issue. Rids has talent and will play unless he has a bad practice week.

Yeah, I saw that too. He looked like he was about to be executed or something.

Sure, the coaches should work with Ridley, now and in the offseason. But I don't see him getting the ball in the red zone this week. Why would Belichick take that risk, given the other solid options.

Long-term, I think Ridley will be fine.

However, the Pats need to make decisions for the next two games.

Way Back Machine II: Didn't Antowain Smith have a big fumble against the Rams in the 2001 regular season? He wasn't benched and did a pretty good job for the Pats in the playoffs that year.

Sure, the coaches should work with Ridley, now and in the offseason. But I don't see him getting the ball in the red zone this week. Why would Belichick take that risk, given the other solid options.

I agree. BJGE was already the #1 red zone option, no need to change that given this game's critical nature for every red zone possession. I'd also throw in that getting the ball in the endzone from the redzone probably will need to be done via the air.

We are in a bit of a quandary. For what I'll call the general hand offs, BJGE is just not doing much. On the other hand Ridley appears to be ready to break out on many of his runs - yet we cannot afford a turnover. BB will not tolerate TO's but must be chomping at the bit to get some good rush productivity. The ultimate best outcome would be for BJGE to have a game unlike any he has had in many weeks......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News