PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the word on Mayo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: What is the word on Mayo?

i can't agree with you unless we know more about the severity of the injury. if it's a 6-8 week thing, you have to keep him on the roster. Every time a guy gets hurt you can't IR him unless the circumstances require it - e.g., a long recovery period. If Mayo's recovery is 4-6 months, then that's a situation where you can IR him.

I just don't want to risk further injury. For me this season is about rebuilding the offense, getting are key players (Gronkowski, Wilfork and now Mayo) and developing all the players in who are in their first and second seasons. I feel like if we do those things we could have a shot at a 19-0 type season in 2014.

i can't agree with you unless we know more about the severity of the injury. if it's a 6-8 week thing, you have to keep him on the roster. Every time a guy gets hurt you can't IR him unless the circumstances require it - e.g., a long recovery period. If Mayo's recovery is 4-6 months, then that's a situation where you can IR him.

We'll see, but the fact that they already did surgery is not a good sign. I would expect IR.
According to a 2007 study published in "International Orthopedics," researchers looked at 13 athletes with pectoral injuries requiring surgery and the average time before a player could return to full play was 8 1/2 months. Many athletes, even after surgery and recovery, will never regain the original strength they had before the injury.

Pectoral injuries plaguing NFL, Houston Texans - NFL - Yahoo Sports

So 8 weeks is possible, you have 11 weeks until wild card weekend. 12 weeks if we muster a first round bye. I hope they keep him on the roster and at least see if he can go by around then. Not like a Mike Singleterry reincarnation is floating around on waivers. Mayo is worth taking the shot.

I just don't want to risk further injury. For me this season is about rebuilding the offense, getting are key players (Gronkowski, Wilfork and now Mayo) and developing all the players in who are in their first and second seasons. I feel like if we do those things we could have a shot at a 19-0 type season in 2014.

Better add signing Talib long term to that list.

It took you until this week to have that happen??? Try last season, between the bounties and the fetishizing of Brees's TD streak.
To be fair, the bounty stuff was really definitely crossing the line, but the commissioner's response to it made me feel somewhat sympathetic to them after the whole Cameragate witch hunt.

To be fair, the bounty stuff was really definitely crossing the line, but the commissioner's response to it made me feel somewhat sympathetic to them after the whole Cameragate witch hunt.

Same here until the first 100 times I heard them say "IT's not like we were cheating like the Patriots."

i'll take a super bowl this season first before we talk about 2014 :)

You can't be gun shy every time you get hurt. If it's a borderline recovery, meaning he'll be out until around the AFC championship/super bowl, then I can see where you would want to IR him. for him to return this year, he should be a 100% and seek an opinion from a doctor not named thomas gill.

Better add signing Talib long term to that list.

I would just tag him either way him being here is a given in my mind he has been arguably the DPOY for us to let him walk would represent the stupidest decision in the Belichick era.

eh, to me deliberately trying to hurt a player or end their career is worse than seeking a competitive edge by video taping. that's why Payton was suspended for an entire season.

I just seen on NFL.com that he could miss a lot of time if not the whole season wow that sucks

Same here until the first 100 times I heard them say "IT's not like we were cheating like the Patriots."
Admittedly, I never followed the bounty scandal much from their perspective, but if that's what they were saying about the Patriots in the wake of it, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all with how classless they're acting about Jerod's injury.

eh, to me deliberately trying to hurt a player or end their career is worse than seeking a competitive edge by video taping. that's why Payton was suspended for an entire season.
No doubt. No one's calling them innocent or anything like that, but Goddell's response was somewhat over the top, just like in 2007. Hence the reduced fines on the players by Tagliabue.

Mayo is the center piece of are defense for at least the next half of decade I'd shut him down, this isn't a last hara situation like Ray Lewis. I don't think the risk is worth it.

Several things:
  • If the timeline for recovery is eight weeks, then why shelf one of your best players for the season when you are 5-1 and have a relatively soft schedule the rest of the way?
  • The Pats only have so many years left with Brady. If the Pats don't have Brady or a top notch QB, Mayo isn't going to make that much of a difference. This could be the last year the Pats have a realistic shot at a Super Bowl with Brady.
  • How do you know that shutting him down for the year is going to be better for his long term career than playing him this year after he is healthy? Some injuries aren't hindered from returning.
  • Plenty of players have come back and played with as bad or worse injuries pretty quickly. JJ Watt played all last year with a dislocated elbow with ligament damage. Welker came back quickly for an ACL tear, probably faster than he should have. Ty Warren played one year with two separate tears in his groin. Mankins played an entire year with a torn ACL and a sprained MCL in his other knee in the playoffs.

I don't get this attitude that fans have now of shutting down players for the future. This is football. If Mayo is healthy enough to play in December and January and you can afford the roster spot, you play him.

This is a crushing blow. The one year we have a solid D it starts falling apart all around us due to injuries. :(

There is absolutely no way any professional football team thinks like this. It's absurd. "Hey, I know we are 5-1, and that wins the next few weeks basically secure the division. And yeah, if we can stay ahead of Cincy we should be able to secure a bye, since they can't give them both to the Chiefs and Mannings. And gee, our defense, despite injuries, is playing as well as it has in seven years. And our offense will get key players back soon, it really can only improve... But you know what? LETS JUST SHUT DOWN AND PLAY FOR NEXT YEAR, BECAUSE WE MIGHT WIN EVERY SINGLE GAME AND BE REALLY BADASS. LETS CHALK UP THIS SEASON AS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE."

:bricks::bricks::bricks:

There is absolutely no way any professional football team thinks like this. It's absurd. "Hey, I know we are 5-1, and that wins the next few weeks basically secure the division. And yeah, if we can stay ahead of Cincy we should be able to secure a bye, since they can't give them both to the Chiefs and Mannings. And gee, our defense, despite injuries, is playing as well as it has in seven years. And our offense will get key players back soon, it really can only improve... But you know what? LETS JUST SHUT DOWN AND PLAY FOR NEXT YEAR, BECAUSE WE MIGHT WIN EVERY SINGLE GAME AND BE REALLY BADASS. LETS CHALK UP THIS SEASON AS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE."

:bricks::bricks::bricks:

I didn't say the team should think that, I said that's my perspective. Anything beyond that I will gladly take but I'm not going to claim it's SB or bust.

Crushing blow. Was watching the Dodgers/Cards game and flipped to ESPN to see if there's any breaking news, and on the bottom line noticed the Mayo news.:(:(:(

If Spikes wants to get paid by another team, now is his chance!

What a terrible year...wtf is next??

This is tough losing Vince and Mayo. I hope somehow Mayo comes back for the playoffs but its possible he wont. I think we can get through regular season but playoffs is what i am concerned about. We cannot afford another injury on D.

This is a blow.

I just saw a replay of the tackle he was injured on and like Vince Wilfork, it seemed like a typical almost non-contact play that was pretty harmless. Initially I thought Gregory hit him but it was just a case of him stretching to make a tackle like he does on just about every play. It sucks when good guys on and off the field like Mayo go down. Meanwhile a scumbag cheat like Von Miller is getting ready to make his return.

Re: Mayo done for the year

Wait. What?

Conditioning is not the reason why Mayo got injured. Mayo got injured because he was running full steam into another player.
I'm not talking about Mayo specifically... just the sheer # of injuries we have every year. (Not one out of every 3 years like usual teams)

Several things:
  • If the timeline for recovery is eight weeks, then why shelf one of your best players for the season when you are 5-1 and have a relatively soft schedule the rest of the way?
  • The Pats only have so many years left with Brady. If the Pats don't have Brady or a top notch QB, Mayo isn't going to make that much of a difference. This could be the last year the Pats have a realistic shot at a Super Bowl with Brady.
  • How do you know that shutting him down for the year is going to be better for his long term career than playing him this year after he is healthy? Some injuries aren't hindered from returning.
  • Plenty of players have come back and played with as bad or worse injuries pretty quickly. JJ Watt played all last year with a dislocated elbow with ligament damage. Welker came back quickly for an ACL tear, probably faster than he should have. Ty Warren played one year with two separate tears in his groin. Mankins played an entire year with a torn ACL and a sprained MCL in his other knee in the playoffs.

I don't get this attitude that fans have now of shutting down players for the future. This is football. If Mayo is healthy enough to play in December and January and you can afford the roster spot, you play him.

As we know, Mayo's situation will all depend on the severity of the tear.

If he's able to resume limited practicing/training again in 5-6 weeks, then I think it's worth it to keep the roster spot open.

That said, it isn't sounding extremely positive at the moment, so it'll all depend on the severity of the tear and whether Belichick feels that it's worth having him return for the stretch run or not.

One thing to consider is that he could miss 5 weeks of recovery right off the bat by the time the team plays its week #11 game coming off of the bye, so if the tear isn't as severe as some think, it may make sense to keep him and have him return for the week 14 or week 15 game as we saw with Brandon Spikes and his MCL injury in the SB run of 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST