PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is the word on Mayo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo loss is crushing. Just when our defense comes together, we lose our two defensive staples of the past several years (Wilfork, Mayo). It's not the end of the world, but things just got even more difficult...

BTW, if it was up to me, I would keep Mayo on the active roster. He could be back by the December 15th game (Miami) if the eight week schedule is correct. He could play the final three regular season games and hopefully be close to 100% by the time playoffs come around.

I think it is worth risk than trying to keep another bottom of the roster guy who won't be active on game days.

This season is beginning to feel like the Superbowl years where the team won on the back of some great D and a seize the moment O in spite of countless injuries to key players.

BTW, if it was up to me, I would keep Mayo on the active roster. He could be back by the December 15th game (Miami) if the eight week schedule is correct. He could play the final three regular season games and hopefully be close to 100% by the time playoffs come around.

I think it is worth risk than trying to keep another bottom of the roster guy who won't be active on game days.

Two thoughts here:

(1) When Vollmer went down in 2011, they kept him on the roster b/c he was so valuable that, given ANY chance he could play in December/January, the potential upside was worth it. I think they view Mayo the same way.

(2) Again, the most interesting thing for me is that whatever the D might have lost in power, it has gained in speed.

If there's a good chance he can be ready for the playoffs you keep him on the roster. I don't think it's even a debate.

Re: Re: What is the word on Mayo?

Yep and all the reports were he was done for the year.

Lewis was done with football forever at the end of the season, Mayo has a lot of football ahead of him, I say shut him down and make sure he is right for 2014.

Lewis was done with football forever at the end of the season, Mayo has a lot of football ahead of him, I say shut him down and make sure he is right for 2014.

must be a nationals fan,

This season is beginning to feel like the Superbowl years where the team won on the back of some great D and a seize the moment O in spite of countless injuries to key players.

I don't think its fair to expect a super bowl out of this team, the fact it is almost certain to make the playoffs is better than any other team dealt its hand would achieve.

Yep and all the reports were he was done for the year.

BB1V9TxCYAA2auL.jpg

Has any NFL player come back from a torn pectoral muscle in the same season?

The hits just keep coming on defense... Wilfork, Kelly, Talib, and now Mayo. It's such a shame that nobody will ever know how good this unit could have been if fully healthy, but the focus has to be on the present and the future.

Wilfork is on IR. He's not coming back.

Kelly had a non contact knee injury, and missed practice last week. The fact that he himself is not on IR must bode well for his return in the future. That's huge for the defense's pass rush and run defense.

The big question is Talib and how serious his hip flexor is. If his season is done, this defense is absolutely sunk. But if he can come back in let's say 3-4 weeks, they can manage, especially with the bye coming up.

Mayo is a special player to this team. He is solid all around... but not spectacular. His leadership will be missed, but I think his on the field presence can be made up for with more Hightower and Spikes, and working in Collins and Fletcher. Maybe even more 3 Safety looks.

There is no doubt that this team will have to get creative with their game planning and personnel packages, but if they can at least be consistent and let the offense work it's way back, they should be able to manage.

of course immediately the saints fans have a thread on this in their forum relishing the injury to mayo. honestly, i used to have so much respect for the saints but lost it all this week. that's one organization that I will never respect again.
That's a disgusting and classless thing to do.

From their whole victory celebration on the sidelines before getting the W, to whining about the refs, and now to this, I too am starting to lose respect for the Saints and their fanbase.

Mayo is the center piece of are defense for at least the next half of decade I'd shut him down, this isn't a last hara situation like Ray Lewis. I don't think the risk is worth it.

From their whole victory celebration on the sidelines before getting the W, to whining about the refs, and now to this, I too am starting to lose respect for the Saints and their fanbase.

A good friend of mine, dude was in my wedding party, has been taking shots at my facebook posts since Sunday, trying to be an ass I guess. Point is, Saints fans have lost their minds over this loss, I've never seen anything like it. It's week 6. Entitled *******s really thought they were destined to roll.

It took you until this week to have that happen??? Try last season, between the bounties and the fetishizing of Brees's TD streak.

Well if Spikes wants to earn a big time contract now would be the time.

A good friend of mine, dude was in my wedding party, has been taking shots at my facebook posts since Sunday, trying to be an ass I guess. Point is, Saints fans have lost their minds over this loss, I've never seen anything like it. It's week 6. Entitled *******s really thought they were destined to roll.

It's their revenge season after getting caught paying players to injure.

Mayo is the center piece of are defense for at least the next half of decade I'd shut him down, this isn't a last hara situation like Ray Lewis. I don't think the risk is worth it.

i can't agree with you unless we know more about the severity of the injury. if it's a 6-8 week thing, you have to keep him on the roster. Every time a guy gets hurt you can't IR him unless the circumstances require it - e.g., a long recovery period. If Mayo's recovery is 4-6 months, then that's a situation where you can IR him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes