PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Werder: Resentment towards Gronk in Pats Lockerroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I was wrong there. I guess the fact that they have put Dr. Andrews in the forefront of the story, he is getting buried by the media.

But if they went to Jupiter and he said no then why even go to Andrews and leave the decision to him? It just makes me think a little bit that if Jupiter was asked now he would clear him and that's not what Gronk's camp wants. Because let's remember no doctor is going to publicly say anything because of doctor-patient confidentionality. So they could have not liked what they heard from Jupiter and went to Andrews who they knew would err on the side of caution.

Several things:
  • The assertion that the Pats' medical staff screwed up with Gronk last year is opinion and not hard fact. There is no hard evidence that they made any mistakes and Gronk could have been just a victim of bad luck. Both on the second break and the infection. The medical staff may have screwed up, but they might have done everything right and the same thing that 31 other teams would have done and Gronk just had some of the worst luck he could possibly have. I still feel the media is just piling on this staff and Dr. Gill already was a lightning rod in this town.
  • Gronk is benefitting from the media painting the Patriots' medical staff as evil and incompetent. If they weren't the bad guys in all this, Gronk would be getting killed in this town right now.
  • Of course there are players in the locker room who resent Gronk right now. I doubt it is the entire locker room, but there are at least some players. Many players have sucked it up and played with injuries that could have threatened their career if they re-injured it. After six weeks of practicing, many of these players are wondering why Gronk can't go either. I'm sure Brady in 2009 probably should have gone on the PUP from his own personal best interest standpoint, but he played from day one and probably before he was actually ready. Amendola probably shouldn't have played last week, but he did.
  • I gotta wonder what Dr. James Andrew's priorities are in advising Gronk. He is not a forearm or bone expert. He is a friend and frequent advisor of Drew Rosenhaus. Is he looking out for Gronk's overall best interest or only looking at his long term payday for Gronk and Rosenhaus?
  • Where is Dr. Jesse Jupiter and what is his opinion? Dr. Jupiter was Gronk's hand chosen surgeon to do the surgery after the infection and has no association with the Pats. Why is Dr. Andrews and not Dr. Jupiter advising Gronk about the forearm at this point? Has Dr. Jupiter cleared Gronk to play and is his opinion different than Dr. Andrews?

Best post on the subject by far!!!!!!!

A few additional points:

"Rushing" him back last year is the most stupid comment out there. He was "rushed" back for the playoffs to win a Lombardi......It's not like the Patriots were 2-12 and hopeless.

The Lombardi was made even more critical because the Lombardi was not won in 2011 because this guy was hurt.

Gronkowski is not only the focus of the offense....he's getting paid like he's the focus of the offense.

When you are "The Man" and more importantly....getting paid like "The Man"...you have responsibilities that Marquise Cole doesn't have.

What's completely healthy mean? Who in football is completely healthy? Does complete health mean only football or does that extend to body slamming in Vegas clubs.

Brady actually mentioned Gronkowski by name a week or two ago about coming back. Don't be dismissive about resentment.

The best plan now would be to get him healthy....let him display on the field and then send him packing in the off season.

Once any distrust makes it's way into a relationship, it's virtually impossible to get back. Besides, when the Lombardi is on the line...he's hurt. May not be his fault but it is what it is.

Michael Giardi ‏@MikeGiardi 37m
I will reiterate what I reported prior to Cincy: I polled # of Pats players. None expressed anger at Gronk. Repeated this week. Same result

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 25m
(1 of 3) Robert Kraft to @ESPNNY radio on Gronk: "Our first concern is his health and safety and doing what's in his best interest long .

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 24m
(2 of 3) "... term. We're completely behind whatever his decision is. Obviously all of us would like him to come back as soon as possible...

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 23m
(3 of 3) " ... but we're not going to let our short term desire impede what's right for the long term." (hat-tip to teammate @FieldYates).

This makes me feel better.

I will reiterate what I reported prior to Cincy: I polled # of Pats players. None expressed anger at Gronk. Repeated this week. Same result

(1 of 3) Robert Kraft to @ESPNNY radio on Gronk: "Our first concern is his health and safety and doing what's in his best interest long .

(2 of 3) "... term. We're completely behind whatever his decision is. Obviously all of us would like him to come back as soon as possible...

(3 of 3) " ... but we're not going to let our short term desire impede what's right for the long term." (hat-tip to teammate @FieldYates).

So what?

Did you expect anyone to say anything different?

So what?

Did you expect anyone to say anything different?

So you believe ESPN and all other sources but not the named people ? This is the unfortunate part of the business. Every time a team says or refutes something 'they are supposed to say that'. When some unamed source 'close to the situation' says something to another reporter, "this has to be true".

Christopher Price ‏@cpriceNFL 11m
Again, don't see/hear "resentment" in locker room re: Gronk. But there is some Gronk fatigue--mates tired of answering ?s about his status.

I think this is what Ed Werder just extrapolated as resentment. This team doesnt have enough vets on offense to express resentment and both brady/mankins know the business side of things as well as anyone wrt injuries. Ed Werder is full of **** on this one.

If an article gets a fact as easily verifiable as this one wrong - why should I believe anything else it has to say?

I was looking for references in posts to the stories whirling around a reference to Milloy and BB losing the team in 2003 after the first game. Or how about Mankins, who supposedly was furious at the team and back home during his contract negotiations out of disgust at progress, admitted he spent most of that time in MA with teammates.

To say that professional athletes treat the absence of Gronk like a playground team might treat a missing player is ridiculous. The only players crying, logically, would be Brady and the running backs, who look better when he is in the game. Everybody else, whose contract dollars often turn on reps and opportunities, would probably be happy, and not quick to protest when a player sits out. I throw the BS flag on any player statement claims, given the fact this is the NFL not some pickup game. Fans sitting there with the picture that the players sitting in the locker room are moaning "what are we gonna do without Gronk?" or "we can't win without Gronk?" probably need a reality check on the egos in the NFL.

And I agree with the rational posters that Gronk has not one but two doctors who can clear him. Neither has to my knowledge. Given the fact Gronk returned for minutes, not games, after last attempt, whether that was caused by a freak injury or a lousy team doctor, that last run is good cause to be extra cautious. The Pats are 4-1, not 1-4 when another loss may mean the end of playoff hopes. Any fan saying he needs to "man up" is just plain ridiculous, unless he or she is a professional athlete in any sport who played through a severe injury or soldier/sailor/airman who took heavy damage in combat and won a significant medal for the superhuman events that followed. The fact you once lost sensation in your fingers after typing on the keyboard for nine hours straight, yet fought through it for that last post, is not quite the same thing.

If the Pats were displeased with Gronk taking a roster spot and did not believe he would return, then he would be on IR. Plain and simple. The team is not being held ransom by Gronk, as it always has that option to put this issue to bed once and for all. This is not a contract holdout either. The media wants soundbites and drama. This story is typical of the two Milloy and Mankins examples above. I am simply not joining this media "Gronk watch," figure he is on the field when he is on the field, and hopes his return marks the end of his injury issues for the season.

So you believe ESPN and all other sources but not the named people ? This is the unfortunate part of the business. Every time a team says or refutes something 'they are supposed to say that'. When some unamed source 'close to the situation' says something to another reporter, "this has to be true".

What planet are you on?

When did the Patriots organization ever call anyone out in public?

Brady mentioned Gronkowski by name recently about players coming back. First time I can recall that happening. That's what makes this plausible not the story.

What planet are you on?

When did the Patriots organization ever call anyone out in public?

Brady mentioned Gronkowski by name recently about players coming back. First time I can recall that happening. That's what makes this plausible not the story.

And what did he say which made you think he called out gronk ? What planet are you on ?? He is tired of answering gronk questions as is everyone else thats what he said ? . Every week brady has said he wants to see when pats gets the injured players gronk vereen amendola back he wants to see how this offense looks, thats what I hear from him every monday evening on radio on the MNF pregame show .So that means they resent him ? Brady had a knee surgery. He knows better. Iam sure no one is happy with the model of clearance between practice and play but no one is going to tell an injured player to come and play if he says he cant. Every player understands another's livelihood depends on their health.

The hell with all these doctors being asked if Gronkowski is able to play or not,I want to ask BB Jones if he is physically ready to play....BB Jones was in town during the Pats Jets game a few weeks ago and I am sure she can tell us if he is capable of playing or not,I am sure she had a 'fitness workout' with him then.

Seriously though,I can't imagine them being open talk about any resentment on this team from the other players,it's not how this team rolls.

Now if somehow Gronk makes another recent goofy WWE slamming wrestling type video with his brothers and it gets out,then I can see that happening with the other players,but nothing is out there to say he has being messing around with that arm other than football practice,so I call this report as sort of drama queen BS media stuff.

uh oh...looks like AndyJohnson is in danger of being usurped in his role as the Pats' Primary Propagandist. Where were you with this "Breaking PR news", chuckles?! :singing: Oh Enlightened One.....

...and here is the resident sunshine pumper-in-chief to the rescue, with his daily dose of nonsensical optimism. Of course you're correct, chief...I am sure that the article is WAAAY off-base, and there is not a single drop of mistrust or resentment toward Gronk ANYWHERE in the Pats locker room. Well-said and Bravo!

Ever run propaganda for the Ayatollah back in the day? :singing::singing::singing: derp derp derp...

Post of the year. Lmao.

What do you expect Kraft to say....only Gronk knows his body....I am sure its a joint decision...as they have tons of cash invested in Gronk. ...so i look it as ...someone in Gronk's camp....is holding him back....since they had to bring in a third party.....but i do admit ..it looks like the sport we once considered to be the most physical.....full of tough guys has come down to ...meow-fication.....

First, I have serious doubts about Ed Werder having an inside Pats source.

But even if he does (or doesn't), odds are out of 52 other players plus 7 PSers, ONE player may actually think that way.

So ******* what?

What does a football player know about Gronk's full health? Have they seen the X-rays? Have they treated this condition before?

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one player said that about Gronk, but what does it matter? 1/3 of Americans believe in UFOs. That means potentially 20 Patriots believe in UFOs. Does that make them real? Does that mean Ed Werder should write a story about it? Would half of Patsfans.com readers automatically believe it happened? No offense intended to the 1/3 of you readers who do believe in UFOs :p

It really wouldn't surprise me if one person thought it, but that doesn't mean anything. There are only a handful of people who really know what's going on, and I doubt any of them spoke to Ed Werder about this article.

When does he become a diva??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft