PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Werder: Resentment towards Gronk in Pats Lockerroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't weighed in on this.

First, being in practice is far different than being in a full speed game when the other team is trying to hit you as hard as they can in the area that you have an injury. Secondly Dr Andrews is a respected doctor and would not risk his reputation by not clearing Gronk if he thought Gronk was medically able to play in a real NFL game.

But those who want to jump on the media reports can listen to WEEI and Felger or read Borges. When Andrews clears Gronk to play - Gronk will play- I'm sure of it. All the rest is noise.

Now that's a strikingly rational response.

Just reading King's MMQB, and he starts off with the Gronk sitch — but focuses on how valuable he was playing Graham on the scout team. Brady quote:

“All of us have seen how badly Rob wants to help us win,’’ Brady wrote. “He has definitely given all he could in practice, especially on the scout teams to replicate the other teams’ best receiver. Though they may seem insignificant during the week, they are a huge reason why teams win.’’

Doesn't sound resentful.

From what I understand the MD has cleared Gronk to play full contact in practice where by all reports he has been a beast. While practice is typically not as intense, tackling in practice is still contact which could just as easily be an issue.

This sounds like a doc pronouncing someone half pregnant- either you are cleared to be tackled or you are not.

I don't get it...
If you don't get it, you should have listened to Mike Golic this morning. He has a better insight than the mediots.

First and foremost they don't do "full contact" in practice anymore. Troy Brown has brought this up several times as to how many "contact" practices team are allowed to have under the new CBA. They may have a "contact" practice during the week but it's not even close to game contact.

Players like any other work force will gripe about things- it means nothing. When Gronk is ready to actually play in a game he will be greeted with open arms by his teammates.

Until then the media will stir the turd and smart fans will tune it out.

Last edited:
“I don’t think there’s any resentment toward Rob or any other player on our team that is fighting through rehabilitation to get back on the field,” Brady said. “Look, everyone loves having Rob out on the field but we also understand that these medical decisions are out of the hands of the players and coaches. And if the doctors, when they clear them, they clear them, and when they don’t, they don’t. That goes for every player in the NFL

Brady: I don?t think there?s any resentment toward Gronkowski | ProFootballTalk

I can't fault Gronkowski for anything that he's doing. People questioning his heart or calling him a diva are so far off base it's ridiculous.

The guy heeded team advice last year and came back but it was obviously too early. The fact that he came back and played in the games he played despite having obvious issues shows just how much heart this guy has.

But now he's paying a price and there's a small risk to his longterm future so he's going to be cautious. I would to.

His early comeback last year has cost this team a lot.

What has it cost the team? They are 5-1

Well I now have to tune into felger and mazz tomorrow to hear the overreaction to this.
No, actually you don't. Why would anyone in her/his right mind do so?

Well I now have to tune into felger and mazz tomorrow to hear the overreaction to this.

They were in rare form today. After that awesome night they opened up reacting negatively and pointing out the problems with the teams. They're just trolls at this point.

What has it cost the team? They are 5-1

6-0 ?

Only because you asked.;)

I, for one, have no issue with Gronkowski sitting out until ready. Whatever "ready" might mean.

Anybody who thinks the players are not at least asking some questions are kidding themselves. To the rest of us, what Gronk is doing may seem the smart thing but to a bunch of people who have put their bodies on the lines since they were kids, they will naturally wonder if he's holding out or not. It's human nature.

I am of the opinion that he should come back when he's fully healed but during the Bengals' game, I found myself questioning him for the first time ever. Now imagine what those on the team were actually thinking after that game.

Honestly whether the report is true or not, I would probably feel irritated w/the situation as a player.

The guys on this team have played their hearts out week after week, some not at 100%. They have gone 5-1 and all the talk is about Gronk who appears healthy and dominant but his people keep advising him to not play in the games. I would be surprised if there wasn't at least a little resentment floating around, no matter what they say publicly to the contrary.

We're just all dealing with such incomplete information that even trying to express an opinion seems a bit silly. The only real hard piece of information we have is that he wasn't put on the PUP, leading to reasonable speculation that he is not progressing as well as people had hoped -- or at least, that the risk of using up the roster spot was miscalculated. But other than that, we get absolute radio silence on the situation.

I know that Belichick feels the team gets a significant advantage by being mum and controlling information. Perhaps that's true. I guess the uncertainty adds to our opponents' burdens in game preparation. At some point, though, I do think some hard information is warranted. If this gets to game 9 or something, I wonder whether Mr. Kraft might step in and offer something concrete. He is the one that has to protect the brand, after all, even if his HC thinks it affects the Xs and Os to a modest degree. But without anything concrete, there's just nothing to say.

It's at bottom a medical situation. If the medical opinions that Gronk trusts are saying, "50 percent you could have a career threatening injury and that percentage goes way way down in three weeks," then I think we could understand the calculus. On the other hand, if he's being told, "you're at 95 percent and it would have to take a freak situation to make it worse," then we would have a different opinion. None of us knows. I know a lot of people have guesses or think they know, but they don't.

As far as I'm concerned, and I've posted this before, I believe this team needs to learn to win without Gronk. I don't fault him for not playing if he's not medically cleared, but I think that misses the point. He's now been out longer with a broken bone than people are out for Tommy John surgery. He's had injuries to three different parts of his body. He's had multiple surgeries. He gets hurt, and he stays hurt. He's missed a massive number of games in college, and in the pros. Even in his relatively "healthy" NFL years, he has missed very important games with injuries. Maybe it's the way he plays. Maybe it's a calcium thing. Maybe it's what he eats. Maybe it's genetics. Maybe it's something else. Maybe it's just bad luck. But at this point, it's pretty unreasonable to expect he will stay healthy. It goes against the great weight of evidence. Now, he might. And it's certainly not unreasonable to hope he will stay healthy. But hoping and expecting are two different things. This team needs to learn to play without him, because the chance that it will be compelled to do so seems higher than with other players. Every game we get out of him is gravy, and he's such a game changer that he's worth a roster spot for hope, at least at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes