PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Werder: Resentment towards Gronk in Pats Lockerroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. We are in a tough spot if 1 player is bigger than the team.

Is gronk bigger than the team? No. We are 4-1 without him, but your crazy to think this team doesn't miss his 38 TD in the red zone. We're getting by with Hooman and Mulligan...short term, but long term this team desperately needs gronk.

Its still crazy to me that a year ago were had the best most dynamic group of tight ends, and a year later its our Achilles...

@AlbertBreer: Patriots players and coaches have noticed with Gronk not just that he's healthy, but his playing strength is back. That's led to questions.

Thats good....

Is gronk bigger than the team? No. We are 4-1 without him, but your crazy to think this team doesn't miss his 38 TD in the red zone. We're getting by with Hooman and Mulligan...short term, but long term this team desperately needs gronk.

Its still crazy to me that a year ago were had the best most dynamic group of tight ends, and a year later its our Achilles...

I never said we wouldn't miss his production. He is a great player when he is on the field. I am also disappointed that we went from the best to worst (hopefully temporarily) tight ends in the league. However, the team needs to find a way to win without him.

Some comments from some writers who, unlike Ed Werder, are actually at Gillette on a daily basis.

Mike Giardi: "I will reiterate what I reported prior to Cincy: I polled a number of Pats players. None expressed anger at Gronk. Repeated this week. Same result.

Been covering (Pats locker room) since the day BB walked in the door. If guys are unhappy, you'll know about it."

Christopher Price: "On Gronk reports this AM, believe there's Gronk Fatigue in organization--teammates tired of answering questions about him and his status.

At same time, IMO, there's no resentment toward him. Just want some resolution to situation.

As others have said this AM, this is a multi-layered situation.

Again, don't see/hear "resentment" in locker room re: Gronk. But there is some Gronk fatigue--mates tired of answering questions about his status.

Tiring aspect comes from having to answer same question about him 18 times a week. I know we're all charming, but it's a bit much after awhile.

Just relating my experience as someone down there every day.

Think resentment too strong a word. Think there is a creeping sense of Gronk Fatigue in the locker room; they just want resolution to situation."

Mike Reiss: "Lot of layers to Gronk situation. Understand if there is frustration in some corners. Also believe there is understanding."

Nick Underhill: "If I’m understanding correctly, two doctors have now said Gronk is not ready. That’s good enough reason not to play for me.

And if people really are feeling resentment toward him (and I don’t know if they are), that all disappears whenever he comes back."

God would I love to see BB make Gronk active just to screw with everyone so hard.

But alas, I think that ship has sailed...

As this thread exemplifies really well, this is clearly just a very complex issue, with so many possible layers to it. From our vantage point, we are not and will never be in a proper position to render accurate judgment. I'm not saying it isn't a very interesting subject to discuss, and I think most of the people that contributed so far to this thread have raised very good and valid points on both sides, but I think based on experience with both the "modern media" and the current Patriots tendencies towards, shall we say, "murkiness" when it comes to discussing specifics about player injuries, we should all try to keep this in perspective. Maybe it is all the fault "evil Patriots," or maybe its all the fault of the "selfish Gronk," either is possible in theory, I guess, but IMHO it is more likely it is a matter of a legitimate difference of opinion combined with just bad darn luck - starting with when and how he injured his forearm in the first place. Either way, I don't see that the consequences of this will doom the Patriots or Gronk permanently. This situation will soon reach a conclusion, and they will all go forward successfully. The only way in my view that this doesn't eventually get to where we all want it to go is if Gronk really isn't ready to play, plays anyway, and gets more seriously injured.

So for me, as much as I'd like to see him out there today, playing like the Gronk we have seen in the past, it comes down something very simple. I'd rather see him wait to play and get to the point where he legitimately believes that he is ready, and not force himself to play out of some feeling that he has to do so to justify his contract, his relationship with his teammates and/or the coaches and/or the organization. I want this very young guy to be a star for the team for the next 10+ years, and if that means having miss the Falcons, Bengals, Saints, Jets, etc., I'm OK with that, in spite of how frustrating it is to see the team sputter on offense.

One week or one note month won't make a difference. Just ir him and take the stupid plates out. Should have let it heal naturally to begin with. Plates are causing discomfort.

How do you know ? You spoke to gronk ?

Goebbels_02.jpg

"ALL OF GRONK'S TEAMMATES love him and support his decision to continue sitting out. The Pats front office loves Gronk and supports his decision to continue to sit out. Do not believe the lies being spread by Ed Werder and the national media. Everyone knows that Ed Werder is a dirty, lying, bolshevik hell-bent on destroying our holy regime. He shall be dealt with by our fearless leader, shortly. Carry on, friends. There is nothing to see here. I repeat, there is NOTHING to see here.

On a related note, the war is going swimmingly and in the end we WILL WIN. Don't believe those scurrilous lies about the 6th army's surrender at Stalingrad. Werder made those up too."

First off, do you realize how offensive it is to use the image of Joseph Goebbels in relation to anything pertaing to the Patriots front office? i wish you had stopped for a minute to think about how that comes across before submitting that post, and more importantly I think you need to spend some time educating yourself about Goebbels. The reference is demented.

Second, surely you are aware of the sentiment among Pats fans about the existence of double standards and bias at ESPN. I'm not implying here that the sentiment = the truth, but in the context of that sentiment, does it really surprise you when a sizeable percentage of Pats fans don't automatically assume that a report is believable when it comes from someone who has ZERO track record in breaking stories about the team and whose source - if he even has one - is anonymous?

Goebbels_02.jpg

"ALL OF GRONK'S TEAMMATES love him and support his decision to continue sitting out. The Pats front office loves Gronk and supports his decision to continue to sit out. Do not believe the lies being spread by Ed Werder and the national media. Everyone knows that Ed Werder is a dirty, lying, bolshevik hell-bent on destroying our holy regime. He shall be dealt with by our fearless leader, shortly. Carry on, friends. There is nothing to see here. I repeat, there is NOTHING to see here. On a related note, the war is going swimmingly and in the end we WILL WIN. Don't believe those scurrilous lies about the 6th army's surrender at Stalingrad. Werder made those up too."

Man, not a picture/story to post. Absolutely pathetic way of expressing an opinion..

When you consistently make "value picks" on guys w injury histories or gang affiliations it iz bound to come home to roost...and now we have one of the worst nost boring and predictable offenses in the nfl...doesn't help when ownership CHEAPS out on woodhead and welker

that should be a ban.

:agree:

The poster is a blatant JEST troll (just look at his handle, for God's sake).

This SHOULD be a ban-worthy offense, and I've reported the post to the mods (note: click the "warning" sign in the lower left corner of his post).

:agree:

The poster is a blatant JEST troll (just look at his handle, for God's sake).

This SHOULD be a ban-worthy offense, and I've reported the post to the mods (note: click the "warning" sign in the lower left corner of his post).

I did, also, before my post. :)

Rob Gronkowski's absence creating tension among New England Patriots - ESPN Boston

His own teammates are starting to get annoyed. It sounds as if this fiasco is just Gronk looking out for himself and not putting his heart on the line for his teammates. I'm sure his dad and drew rosenhaus are behind this. The guy got, what, an 8 million dollar signing bonus to sit on sidelines?

Who is getting annoyed?

~ The rookie wide receivers who benefit by seeing extra targets?
~ Julien Edelman who won't be forced to sign a one year contract for $700K this offseason because of the opportunity Gronkowski's absence had afforded him? ~ ~ Ridley and Vereen because they're not playing either?

It's week six the team is first in the their division with a 4-1 record, there are no rings on the table for almost four full months, so I really have a hard time believing anyone is mean mugging Rob Gronkowski when he walks into the locker room because he isn't ready to play yet. Who ever wrote this article should be fired, calling it a reach would be an understatement.

One week or one note month won't make a difference. Just ir him and take the stupid plates out. Should have let it heal naturally to begin with. Plates are causing discomfort.

If it was a question of discomfort I fully believe he would be out there, he played the 2011 super bowl on one leg and played the first half of last season with a back and hip issue and then played in obvious pain against Jacksonville at the end of the season last year. If Gronkowski is not on the field it's is because there is risk for further damage or a rebreak, suggesting otherwise is really unfair to a player who has proven to play through pain on multiple occasions over his first three NFL seasons.

you think it was smart to tie up 20 million in signing bonuses to gronk and Hernandez when it wasn't necessary?

I think hindsight is always 20/20 and had Gronkowski never been injured and played at his 2011-2012 (prior to arm injury) he would of have commanded a nine figure contract on the open market.

Even the murderer would have commanded significantly more than we spent had he been able to control his trigger finger.

Being "yellow"? Is this the Old West? The guy is probably one break on a compromised bone from never playing again. I'm sure you would not be so cavalier if your livelihood was on the line.

Considering the amount of guaranteed money on his recent contract extension, I highly doubt his "livelihood" is on the line.

If his career ended today, he'd still have a huge amount of money due him from the Pats as well as a pretty strong name recognition for an analysis/promotional type role somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back