PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We may have seen the last of Manning vs. Brady games

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was it at least we didn't get a Derek Jeter style farewell Manning tour... :p

But seriously that last drive was really tough to watch... even for a rival. It's like he was just trying to get the season over with.... same with Thomas who didn't even bother trying to go out of bounds...

I think your first statement has everything to do with the second. The receivers were obviously down on their QB. Sanders and D. Thomas both had terrible body language during the game. Sanders looked like he wanted to scream at Manning every time Manning misfired to him. They knew the teams success rode on their QB. They knew he was done.

The fact that Sanders and Thomas couldn't execute a screen is not on Manning. To quote Giselle: "He can't throw the ball and catch the ball!"

Manning must've been injured as I don't see any other reason for the midseason drop off.
Also goes to show that we may only have a month, or a year, or two years left of great brady -- look how quickly a pocket passing manning (if he really isn't injured) has dropped off -- break the records last year, and this year was average at best in the last half season

Older players who are done can start off like gangbusters and drop off dramatically as the season goes on. Look at Demarcus Ware. He was an All Pro in the first 5-6 weeks of the season (7 of his 10 sacks were in the first six weeks of the season) and has been ordinary since except for a few exceptions.

If Peyton decides to return, I have little doubt he'll be one of the top quarterbacks in the league in September. The problem is next December and January. It looks like his body no longer has 16 games a year left in it, let alone 19 or 20.

It's doubtless just fantasy, but imagine if the Broncos decided to keep Manning on ice as a secret weapon for the last third of the season or so. They should be able to amass enough medical grounds to PUP him, then they'd have 2 months leeway after week 6 to activate him. As a midseason replacement, Manning might even beat Akeem Ayers. :)

Funny stuff. The reality is that Manning isn't going to a cold weather team in BBs division... especially one as effed up as the Jets.

So you are saying that joining Rexy at Buffalo's probably a non-starter? :)

Yeah, can't see him going to a cold weather team that plays outdoors. I can see him going to a dome team...Houston?

I couldn't be happier to not have to play Manning again. Actually that is only half-true. I am happy to not have to play against Manning and the refs. When Manning retires, pass interference might just leave with him. lol.

If Peyton decides to return, I have little doubt he'll be one of the top quarterbacks in the league in September. The problem is next December and January. It looks like his body no longer has 16 games a year left in it, let alone 19 or 20.

It's doubtless just fantasy, but imagine if the Broncos decided to keep Manning on ice as a secret weapon for the last third of the season or so. They should be able to amass enough medical grounds to PUP him, then they'd have 2 months leeway after week 6 to activate him. As a midseason replacement, Manning might even beat Akeem Ayers. :)

Maybe pull a late-career Clemens? Play a half season for a team who has their QB go down Week 7?

We usually come out rather well post-bye in the regular season but the playoffs is a tougher, different animal. It does seem like it causes a lot of rust issues.

I love how the announcers were talking about how great and rested Manning looked in the pre game warmups. I guess he gave the warmup everything he had because he never looked comfortable tonight. Ever.

He probably did look great in pre-game.

I thought he looked sharp in the opening drive - even took a cheap hit. Before the game, i tried to find a way the Colts could win, because Denver is the better team. it all came down to Manning for me - for the Colts to win, he had to play badly. After the first drive, I thought, well, that was fun, see ya next week, Peyton...

But he sputtered out fast.

Every time I feel the least bit of sympathy for Peyton the media drives it out of me with the constant @ss kissing narrative. Faulk made the comment last night that it's not fair to judge Peyton against what he once was and that even at this stage he should come back because even at 90% he's still better than 98% of the QBs out there. Then went on to defend him in the GOAT conversation.

1. GOATS don't have 9 one and done's. GOATS go to their 9th conference championship game.
2. GOATS aren't favored in 8 of those 9 games and lose the one they weren't 41-0.
3. GOATS aren't 11-13 in the playoffs.
4. How is he better than 98% of the QBs out there when in the divisional around Brady, Rogers, Wilson, Luck, Flacco, Romo and even Stafford and Newton outperformed him. Can anybody make a case for taking him at this point over one of those? Really in the entire playoffs only Dalton and Lindley were worse.
5. Two years running he has the best skill set group in football and exits the playoffs scoring 8 and 13 points.
6. He was 6/21 in passes over 5 yards past the LOS yesterday.

He won't retire. He's a stat whore and wants them all. I don't think Elway will give up on him. This likely is the end of Fox.

The fact that Sanders and Thomas couldn't execute a screen is not on Manning. To quote Giselle: "He can't throw the ball and catch the ball!"

Oh come on. They carried Manning's ass with those screens passes for long enough. To give either one of those guys any heat for having a bad day on screens when the defense knew that's all they had to take away is unfair. The Colts game planned for those screens. They knew Manning couldn't take advantage down field.

The most telling thing about Manning yesterday is when Denver had a 3rd and 3. Peyton had 30 yards with no one on the Colts ahead, he could have run for 3.5 yards and stepped out of bounds.
It just looked as if he did not want to take any physical risk.

Oh come on. They carried Manning's ass with those screens passes for long enough. To give either one of those guys any heat for having a bad day on screens when the defense knew that's all they had to take away is unfair. The Colts game planned for those screens. They knew Manning couldn't take advantage down field.

Thomas simply dropped the ball at least twice.

The most telling thing about Manning yesterday is when Denver had a 3rd and 3. Peyton had 30 yards with no one on the Colts ahead, he could have run for 3.5 yards and stepped out of bounds.
It just looked as if he did not want to take any physical risk.

Did the announcers mention that? I know the people in the game thread were all over it,

Maybe pull a late-career Clemens? Play a half season for a team who has their QB go down Week 7?
One thing worth noting is that in both these scenarios he'd have to maintain his current condition without the benefit of practices with his team (you can rehab on PUP, but you can't practice with your teammates).

Did the announcers mention that? I know the people in the game thread were all over it,
Yes they did. They talked about how the crowd suddenly got loud when they saw all of the open space in front of Manning

Every time I feel the least bit of sympathy for Peyton the media drives it out of me with the constant @ss kissing narrative. Faulk made the comment last night that it's not fair to judge Peyton against what he once was and that even at this stage he should come back because even at 90% he's still better than 98% of the QBs out there. Then went on to defend him in the GOAT conversation.

1. GOATS don't have 9 one and done's. GOATS go to their 9th conference championship game.
2. GOATS aren't favored in 8 of those 9 games and lose the one they weren't 41-0.
3. GOATS aren't 11-13 in the playoffs.
4. How is he better than 98% of the QBs out there when in the divisional around Brady, Rogers, Wilson, Luck, Flacco, Romo and even Stafford and Newton outperformed him. Can anybody make a case for taking him at this point over one of those? Really in the entire playoffs only Dalton and Lindley were worse.
5. Two years running he has the best skill set group in football and exits the playoffs scoring 8 and 13 points.
6. He was 6/21 in passes over 5 yards past the LOS yesterday.

He won't retire. He's a stat whore and wants them all. I don't think Elway will give up on him. This likely is the end of Fox.

Thank you. I'm kinda sick of all the ball-washing of Manning year after year. He's been a very good QB for a long, long time who can't perform when he's taken out of his comfort zone or when the pressure is highest.

He compiled the vast majority of his stats in a dome, with a consistent offensive approach and the same targets (elite targets) year after year. His six division games were routinely against creampuff opponents, and unlike the Patriots AFC East creampuffs the Jags, Texans and Titans had terrible defenses year after year.

Once Manning was forced outdoors, against a good defense, he folded. Time after time after time. His playoff wins?
2003- Blowout at home against a middling Denver team. Close road game against a very good KC team, that had a great offense (Priest Holmes) but a bad defense.
2004- Another blowout home win against a middling Denver team
2006- The SB run, in which the defense gave up 8, 6 and 17 points in the non-NE games and Manning threw 3 TD's to 7 INT's (admittedly he played well in the second half of the AFCCG).
2009- Home against a 9-7 Baltimore team, relying on the defense in a 20-3 win. Home against the 9-7 Jets, a legit good game from Manning against a dominant defense.
2013 - Home against 9-7 SD, close game (24-17) against a middling team. Home against NE, with no Gronk and losing their only good CB during the game.

That's it. That is every playoff win from Manning. Only two road wins, one a blowout against the Chiefs, the other a nailbiter against Baltimore that the defense stole. Year after year his worst performance of the season came in the playoffs, in a game his team lost because the offense didn't score enough points. Shut out on the road against the Jets (2 INT's), blowout loss on the road against the Pats (1 TD, 4 INT), 3 points scored on the road against NE (1 INT), 17 points on the road against SD (2008), 17 against in the SB against NO, 16 at home against the Jets, 8 in a blowout loss against Seattle last year and 13 against a crappy Indy defense yesterday.

Manning is a masterful QB when he's in his comfort zone. When he's not he's absolutely terrible and year after year kills his teams chances in the playoffs. He doesn't belong anywhere near the Montana/Brady level of QB elites and should instead be down with Favre, another playoff choke artists who managed to not puke on himself one season but otherwise sucked in the playoffs.

One thing worth noting is that in both these scenarios he'd have to maintain his current condition without the benefit of practices with his team (you can rehab on PUP, but you can't practice with your teammates).

Who says that he'd have to be on PUP? He can sign with a team mid-season, can't he?

Reading this thread you'd think the Bronco's went 5-11 this year playing in a weak division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents