PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We got all that we could...accept it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: We got all that we could..accept it.

I'm still really trying to process all of this.

Either we traded a guy that was going to get cut and a guy that was a 7th round pick and up until the Chiefs game this year, hadn't played since high school and someone who just about everyone around here wanted cut after a brutal preseason for the 34th pick in the draft, so that's a good thing.

OR, we traded away a guy who proved he is an elite QB this past year for a lousy 2nd round draft choice AND had to throw in a guy who is one year removed from 12 sacks and the pro bowl and played last year with a bad wing.

I'm less than pleased initially and I feel like Pioli pulled the Brinx job #2 here.

I'm going to reserve final judgement until I see how the rest of the chips fall; if we upgrade at OLB, draft a guy who can help right away at #34 and sign another player with the money we freed up, I'll be happy.

If the 34th pick ends up as JAG, Cassel lights it up, Vrabel proves he still has something left in the tank, and Pierre effin Woods/Tully Banta Cain replace Vrabel and stink up the joint, then we've got good reason to be pissed over this.

First impressions are usually true impressions and when first I heard about this, all I kept thinking was "And what else did we get?" rather than "Wow, what a great deal, I'm stoked"........................

i bet borges and florio will stir this up by saying that brady's mouth cost the pats more value for cassel :D

Well, the truth is that if he said that without the Pats' knowledge and approval, he did. But Brady's too much of a "company man" to go off the reservation like that. I think that the Pats gave him the green light as a signal that they wanted to deal before Free Agency began.

And for the record, I too heard Zolak on EEI today; he said he HOPES there is a conditional pick thrown in, not that there was one, he too was scratching his head over what KC gave up for Cassel and Vrabel............

Lots of people scratching their head on this one. Like Belichick got taken ... yeah ... okay ... :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: . The team is stronger for the deal, there will be more deals and/or current players will have new contracts. The draft is but 1/3 or putting the team together. An exciting 1/3 but it is just a piece not the entire destiny for the team.

1) It's pretty obvious that BB had NO INTENTION of keeping Vrabes at 4.4M and he was likely gonna be a cap casualty anyway. BB gave a respected player a good out by trading him to a team that could use him (and does not hurt us).

I agree with this. BB would not just give a key player away as a throw in if that player was in our plans for next season. I didn't think Vrabel was going to be 'cut' but accepted it as a possibility as he does have a high cap # for a guy at this point in his career.

I agree with this. BB would not just give a key player away as a throw in if that player was in our plans for next season. I didn't think Vrabel was going to be 'cut' but accepted it as a possibility as he does have a high cap # for a guy at this point in his career.

Think Willie M, same situation.

People, people, people.

We have to stop thinking of this as an either/or situation. EITHER Belichick made a good trade and we got Cassel's value OR Belichick got taken.

Why can't this be an AND situation?

We got less value in the trade than Cassel is worth AND it was the highest value that teams were willing to give up AND Belichick played it as best he could to maximize the offers.

Why are we assuming these things are mutually exclusive. One can argue that a player's true value is what the market offers him, but then you realize we got Randy Moss for a 4th rounder. so there goes that theory. One could also argue that Belichick expressly did this to help Pioli in his new job, but that is VERY hard to believe.

I do believe Cassel was worth more than one high pick.
I also believe this was the best deal the Patriots were offered.

It's not an either/or situation.

I'm still really trying to process all of this.

Either we traded a guy that was going to get cut and a guy that was a 7th round pick and up until the Chiefs game this year, hadn't played since high school and someone who just about everyone around here wanted cut after a brutal preseason for the 34th pick in the draft, so that's a good thing.

OR, we traded away a guy who proved he is an elite QB this past year for a lousy 2nd round draft choice AND had to throw in a guy who is one year removed from 12 sacks and the pro bowl and played last year with a bad wing.

I'm less than pleased initially and I feel like Pioli pulled the Brinx job #2 here.

I'm going to reserve final judgement until I see how the rest of the chips fall; if we upgrade at OLB, draft a guy who can help right away at #34 and sign another player with the money we freed up, I'll be happy.

If the 34th pick ends up as JAG, Cassel lights it up, Vrabel proves he still has something left in the tank, and Pierre effin Woods/Tully Banta Cain replace Vrabel and stink up the joint, then we've got good reason to be pissed over this.

First impressions are usually true impressions and when first I heard about this, all I kept thinking was "And what else did we get?" rather than "Wow, what a great deal, I'm stoked"........................
Earlier today on another thread i posted something similar. Everyone complaining I feel we got stiffed. But last august all we thought we could get for Cassel was a bag of balls and a shamrock shake. We have a high second rnd. pick out of it at least. And GG i read how you heard on eei that Zolack said that he hoped we got a conditional pick next year .....I have to admit that when i posted he said we did i had come in to the conversation part way through. But Zolack was talking like it was a fact. I also know that i didn't come up with the idea myself i read it here earlier in the day. I hope its true. For my sake.

Last edited:

"Earlier today on another thread i posted something similar. Everyone complaining I feel we got stiffed. But last august all we thought we could get for Cassel was a bag of balls and a shamrock shake." I don't even think his value was that high at the end of preseason to be honest, he flat out sucked.

"And GG i read how you heard on eei that Zolack said that he hoped we got a conditional pick next year .....I have to admit that when i posted he said we did i had come in to the conversation part way through. But Zolack was talking like it was a fact." It was funny to hear him talk because initially he said he thought it was a good trade, but the more he talked, the more unsure he seemed that indeed it was a good deal. He threw out the conditional pick as more of a "Christ, I HOPE they get more out of this deal than meets the eye."

I guess time will tell........

"Earlier today on another thread i posted something similar. Everyone complaining I feel we got stiffed. But last august all we thought we could get for Cassel was a bag of balls and a shamrock shake." I don't even think his value was that high at the end of preseason to be honest, he flat out sucked.

"And GG i read how you heard on eei that Zolack said that he hoped we got a conditional pick next year .....I have to admit that when i posted he said we did i had come in to the conversation part way through. But Zolack was talking like it was a fact." It was funny to hear him talk because initially he said he thought it was a good trade, but the more he talked, the more unsure he seemed that indeed it was a good deal. He threw out the conditional pick as more of a "Christ, I HOPE they get more out of this deal than meets the eye."

I guess time will tell........
Zolack seems to be not sure what he thinks from one moment to the next. When he was on the recently-departed WSKO radio in Providence he would steadfastly take one position on a topic and literally within hours would be taking an opposite position on a TV nightly sports show. Frankly, he seems like a nice guy, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

I agree, but I'd rather listen to him than that ballbag Smerlas, his Patriot ballwashing 24/7/365 is like fingernails down a chalkboard..........

Wow i can`t believe my neighbour is here, he has his house at 625k for 1 1/2 yrs as he believes it is worth that when similar houses are selling for 300k. lol

market dictates the price and i unlike the few here was getting worried that no one might want him this year and we will be stuck with no cap money and draft picks to fill the 22 new players we need to complete the roster.

Zolack seems to be not sure what he thinks from one moment to the next. When he was on the recently-departed WSKO radio in Providence he would steadfastly take one position on a topic and literally within hours would be taking an opposite position on a TV nightly sports show.

That makes him well-groomed for sports radio and tv.

Say Something but Say Nothing. It made Orway a millionaire.

That makes him well-groomed for sports radio and tv.

Say Something but Say Nothing. It made Orway a millionaire.
Good point...it did, indeed.

I agree, but I'd rather listen to him than that ballbag Smerlas, his Patriot ballwashing 24/7/365 is like fingernails down a chalkboard..........
And I agree back. Zolack vs. Smerlas is like being offered the following execution choices: would you rather be shot (Zolack) or dismembered while awake (Smerlas)?

Apology accepted. With people posting in caps, I've been waiting for an opportunity to do something like that, and you just have me a chance. :D

But I'm still confused. We have something like 12 draft picks, and the most top 100 picks of any team. Carolina is in salary cap hell and lacks a 1st round pick. Why wouldn't a package of draft picks in a trade for Peppers be reasonable? I can't see the Pats going into TC with 12 rookies; they are going to trade some of those picks (to trade up, trade into 2010, or for players) in some fashion. Why not for Peppers? My original hypothesis was that trading #23, or #34 + 89, or possibly $47 + 58, would probably be sufficient for Carolino to make a deal. Why not at least explore those options and at the same time explore whether Peppers truly wants to play for a 3-4 team at OLB and is willing to negotiate a reasonable contract. It's still a long shot, but I hope we at least explore those options.

We cannot possibly use, or probably even trade all our picks. You make a very good point.

I got in an argument about Peppers converting to the 3-4, but if he's as talented as some think, there is the elephant role. We'll only have Adalius and Mayo as vets soon, so building the D around him instead of training him to fit is an option.

If you think Peppers could be devastating roaming around and rushing from any conceivable angle, he could join some of the most talented DE/OLB ever who've played that role.

Maybe some X and O guy could chime in with the basics on how that role has been used.

Accept it......... I'm good with it. For people to grasp this you have to keep to things in mind.

1) It's pretty obvious that BB had NO INTENTION of keeping Vrabes at 4.4M and he was likely gonna be a cap casualty anyway. BB gave a respected player a good out by trading him to a team that could use him (and does not hurt us).

and....

2) If KC had told us in August that they'd give us number #34 for what amounts to a back-up QB (UFA no less - before the tag) named Cassel and a Blow Job............ you'd have hit the floor quicker then snot.

Be thankful we can forgo the BJ ;)

Plus, we got a few poker chips and 18M to spend.

I can't believe you can write "Blow Job....." on this site but can't refer to players and coaches named "****."

where are people getting this Vrabel was going to get cut?? How about release and sign back up for less money?? So we basically gave away one of our better LB's for nothing.. Fn crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News