PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was A.T.'s sack the best in Patriots history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care, of course, but maybe I can help the discussion with my own perspective. The blocking assignment on that sack makes me want to punch Eric Schottenheimer in his scrawny little face, but if it helps your voting, that might be one of the first times I've seen a sack at the five minute mark essentially end the game. 20-yard loss. Clock runs. Ball marked at the 5 yard line. The only thing I could do on that play is curse the Jets coaches for putting Leon Washington on Adalius Thomas and yell about how the whistle should have blown when Favre was in the grasp at the 15.

If you are gonna B*tch about in the grasp how about giving us back the David Tyree play? Didnt think so...
My favorite sack was Bruschi in his 2nd season I think...he knocked that SD QB out for his CAREER, the guy never played another down, cant remember his name...won the last Wash SB....anyone?Stan Humphries.

Last edited:
What about McGinnest taking down the goober and pushing the colts out of field goal range? I can't ever remember going crazier over a sack before

Best I have ever seen. Just the sheer force he displayed was incredible.

I love this picture:
42355196.jpg

Poor Favre looks terrified.

It is my favorite one easily. Just seeing Favre swing around like a little boy about 5 times was just so hilarious. Very entertaining play I was cracking up.

Another classic - Veris' sack of Marino in the 85 AFCCG ... The highlight reel has good audio of the play, and you can hear Marino mutter "Oh, s&*^%" as Veris comes into the frame.

BB should have challenged the spot. Unless a whistle blew when CheezWhiz was being whirligigged on the 7, the correct spot was about the four.

The only other one i can think of to compare it to was when Andre Tippett nailed Ken O'Brien so hard that O'Brien went to the sideline phone and was heard trying to order a pizza.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/89832-tippett-story-my-dinner-coach-few-months-back.html#post945577

I posted this story a while back about that hit. A story straight from Tippett himself.
#1 07-31-2008, 01:05 PM
signbabybrady
In the Starting Line-up

Tippett story from my dinner with the coach a few months back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this in the thread that was started for that event but with Tippett's induction I figured I would re-tell the story.

Tippett spoke briefly at the event and then had a Q & A session.

I asked him what the biggest hit he remembers from his career was?

And he said it was VS. the Jets ( It seemed like the playoff game in 86 but could have been regular season).

he said he got a free shot on Kenny O'brien the QB and he remembers it being a really nice hit and it had knocked the QB out of the game. He went on to say he didn't find out how bad it was till the Pro Bowl when he had gone out to eat with one of the Jets and the player was telling him how he had messed up their QB. Turns out that O'Brien was on the sidelines and they were going thru the plays in an attempt to see if he would be able to get back into the game and O'brien didn't get one play right...They figured out he was calling plays from high school.

He hit the QB so hard he knocked him back to High School.

Tip also signed auto graphs and the cool thing about getting Tip's autograph.......He now gets to sign HOF

PS: that Thomas hit was sick

Last edited:
Thomas has become a legend with that sack. One of my favorite plays ever.
Other noteworthy plays:
1. Andre Tippetts hit on O'Brien
2. Bruschi's strip/recovery of a Stokely catch in the ''ripe for the picking'' game
3. Willies sack on Manning and Vjerks FG miss
4. Willies stop on 4th and goal on the Edge in Indy
5. Seymour burying McNabb into the turf in SB 39
6. Troy Brown's playoff PR for a TD in Pittsburgh
7. Ty Law's INT off Warner in SB 36
8. AV's snow kick
9. Welker anytime he has the ball
10. Moss's ridiculous catches last year
11. Brady 26 for 28 against jags and the 2 incompletions were drops
12. Vrabel's playoff TD's

There are just too many great plays to post up.

probably already been mentioned in this thread, but I love Willie McGinest's sack against Peyton Manning in the 2004 season opener. The play right before Vander-jerk shanked a would-be tying field goal

Not the best of all time, but a fun one was last year, to seal ther Colts game- Manning hit, fumbled, the ball was recovered by Colvin, who then spiked on their logo, you know, the helmet with the blue toilet seat.

Oh wait, that's not a toilet seat, it's a horseshoe.

:)

No I think the best sack was by Tippet back about 20 years ago. We were playing Pittsburgh. Tippet can around the RT side were there was a running back waiting to block him,Tippet literally picked the RB up of the ground and threw him into the steeler qb to disrupt the pass,then took down the both the rb and the qb. And i mean took them down hard. Yesterday Favre was running away when he was sacked not so in the Pitt game,it was head on.

I'm with you. Tippet had the best.

Maybe not the best, but sure was the funniest to watch...

Last edited:
No way was it the best ever. However, It was the only sack ever to get me in tears from laughing.:rofl:

its so funny watching Washington trying to block AD.

One of my personal favorites is when Harrison layed out Vince Young. I think it was preseason last year.

One of my personal favorites is when Harrison completely layed out Vince Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back