PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Alex Smith says Brady played in the most uncompetitive division in NFL history

The only thing they can argue, that is true, is the Pats dominating the AFCE, winning the division 11 years in a row and 16 out of 17 when Brady wasn't the QB (2008). Brady's record winning the division is a whopping 17-1 (.944).
He also won the NFC South 2 out of 3 years as well.

This was responding to TB12's comments about the league being mediocre today.

Yeah no. If the supposedly "easy" division made the Patriots then they'd be a quick one and done every year and they were a lot better than that. Nuff said. I liked that Rex heard that comment and looked miffed lol

Alex just threw a 3-yard dart at Tom.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
Greg pushes back on Smith.

Also, at least the Jests went to the conference title game (2x) during the height of the Brady era. How many divisions nowadays do you expect to produce 2 teams that will go that far in the playoffs?

aa4.jpg

So sick of that "conventional wisdom" bullschitt....

Anyone with a brain and 5 minute access to Google can see that the AFCE wasn't the worst division in any year between 2000-2019....

I agree with this, and will also say: I fail to understand how Alex thinks that remark counters his assertion about the league today. We're talking about the entire league, which is not looking great. Offensive product is garbage across the board, offensive-line play is failing to transition (I think this is the number 1 woe), and then, to Brady's remark, the rules are actually encouraging less cerebral play.

What tf does a single division's previous history have to do with the league as a whole lmao?
The NFC west he played in was atrocious from 2005 to 2011. Pretty much every division was terrible.

Brady and Belichick made it an easy division to be in, because they were responsible for all of the non stop firings and hirings year after year. And when you are changing front office or coaching you are changing systems, and end up with teams that weren’t built to play the kind of football you want to play,

So sick of that "conventional wisdom" bullschitt....

Anyone with a brain and 5 minute access to Google can see that the AFCE wasn't the worst division in any year between 2000-2019....

Overall it was a weak division from 2001-2020.

Alex Smith should be looking over his shoulder. Rumor has it that ESPN is looking for that next big franchise employee to take his job away from him.

Both things can be true. AFC east wasn't that good. Patriots were still excellent outside of the division.

No, it wasn't.
Between 2001-2018, was there a non Tom Brady AFC East QB who was top 8 in the league? How often top ten?

There were some brutal QB's on the other three teams.

Between 2001-2018, was there a non Tom Brady AFC East QB who was top 8 in the league? How often top ten?

There were some brutal QB's on the other three teams.

Not saying AFCE was the toughest division, but it wasn't a cake walk either. Take the non-Pats AFCE teams recordsin non-Pats games...they all stand on their own.

As for the AFCE QB's during the TB era being in the top 8? Don't think there was one, but let's list them off the top of my head:

Bills: Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor, and Josh Allen.

Dolphins: Jay Fielder, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Ryan Tannehill, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Jets: Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Darnold.

Not exactly a murder's row...but all QBs played some complementary football. Pennington was the only other QB to win the AFCE during the Brady era...Sanchez had two AFC title game trips before the butt fumble killed his career...Vinny almost got the Jets to the Superbowl in 1998 and might have in 1999. Favre needs no introduction, Tannehill, Pennington, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Darnold, Samchez, Josh Allen, and Daunte Culpepper were first round picks too. These teams weren't the class of the AFCE, but were collectively above .500 outside the division.

Not saying AFCE was the toughest division, but it wasn't a cake walk either. Take the non-Pats AFCE teams recordsin non-Pats games...they all stand on their own.

As for the AFCE QB's during the TB era being in the top 8? Don't think there was one, but let's list them off the top of my head:

Bills: Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, J.P. Losman, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Tyrod Taylor, and Josh Allen.

Dolphins: Jay Fielder, Daunte Culpepper, Chad Pennington, Chad Henne, Ryan Tannehill, and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Jets: Vinny Testaverde, Chad Pennington, Brett Favre, Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Sam Darnold.

Not exactly a murder's row...but all QBs played some complementary football. Pennington was the only other QB to win the AFCE during the Brady era...Sanchez had two AFC title game trips before the butt fumble killed his career...Vinny almost got the Jets to the Superbowl in 1998 and might have in 1999. Favre needs no introduction, Tannehill, Pennington, Testaverde, Bledsoe, Darnold, Samchez, Josh Allen, and Daunte Culpepper were first round picks too. These teams weren't the class of the AFCE, but were collectively above .500 outside the division.

Greatly appreciated Hyped, you just made my argument for me. Other than pre injury Pennington, and a Bledsoe who was past his prime, that a weak group of QB’s. Culpepper was a shadow of himself in Miami, and Allen didn’t turn into the player he is now until after Brady left.

I’m not knocking the Patriots, they got it done, and you don’t make your schedule, but that was not a strong AFCE.

For much of the Patriots' dynasty years, the AFC East was one of the worst divisions in football. It is hard to deny that, but Brady and the Patriots beat most of the teams they faced during that era including the best teams the league had to offer in those years. It isn't like the Pats got six wins in the division and only beat the other bad and average teams on their schedule and lost to all the good teams.

But let's face it. Most divisions over the 20 years of Brady in New England were comprised of one, maybe two good teams and then garbage teams. Some divisions didn't even have a good team. Both Peyton Manning and Drew Brees benefitted from being in garbage divisions.

This was responding to TB12's comments about the league being mediocre today.

Yeah no. If the supposedly "easy" division made the Patriots then they'd be a quick one and done every year and they were a lot better than that. Nuff said. I liked that Rex heard that comment and looked miffed lol

The funny thing is there's another team that fits that description perfectly, Manning's Indiots. Nine one and dones, many times with the best record, is an incredible number.

I wonder what Alex thinks of the powerful NFCS this year. They're on pace to send a below .500 team to the playoffs. And the NFCN isn't much better. Their top team is the Detroit Lions. No, really, it is.

I wonder what Alex thinks of the powerful NFCS this year. They're on pace to send a below .500 team to the playoffs. And the NFCN isn't much better. Their top team is the Detroit Lions. No, really, it is.
The Lions are actually good this year, though.

The only thing they can argue, that is true, is the Pats dominating the AFCE, winning the division 11 years in a row and 16 out of 17 when Brady wasn't the QB (2008). Brady's record winning the division is a whopping 17-1 (.944).
And the one time he didn't win the division (2002) they tied for the best record but lost on a tiebreaker.

It's always great to go back and revisit the Pats dynasty days. We can thank Alex for stirring the pot.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back