PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was A.T.'s sack the best in Patriots history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifer

Banned
Reaction score
The only other one i can think of to compare it to was when Andre Tippett nailed Ken O'Brien so hard that O'Brien went to the sideline phone and was heard trying to order a pizza.

The only other one i can think of to compare it to was when Andre Tippett nailed Ken O'Brien so hard that O'Brien went to the sideline phone and was heard trying to order a pizza.

I thought it was the best I'd ever seen.

How many Patriots does it take to tackle a Hall of Fame QB and the running back that is blocking for him?

Vrabel's tomahawk chop on Jake Dellhome in SB 38 was pretty good.

Attachments

• 006299709.jpg
    006299709.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
It was a great sack and one of the Pats best ever although our old boy McGinest had his share of great hits as well

I don't care, of course, but maybe I can help the discussion with my own perspective. The blocking assignment on that sack makes me want to punch Eric Schottenheimer in his scrawny little face, but if it helps your voting, that might be one of the first times I've seen a sack at the five minute mark essentially end the game. 20-yard loss. Clock runs. Ball marked at the 5 yard line. The only thing I could do on that play is curse the Jets coaches for putting Leon Washington on Adalius Thomas and yell about how the whistle should have blown when Favre was in the grasp at the 15.

I can't ever remember laughing so hard at any other sack in Patriots, if that's the question. :D

In terms of pure aesthetic quality, I'd have to put it right at the top. In terms of overall importance, I think it's up there... I'd say the most important sack is a tie between two Willie jobs... (1) Super Bowl XXXVI, sacking Warner on the second to last drive, atoning for his hold on Marshall Faulk that negated Tebucky Jones' fumble recovery and (2) 2004 Home Opener vs. Indy, sacking Peyton Manning, pushing Vandershank out of range, helping propel the Pats to a two seed, and getting Indy at home after a bye week in the Divisional Round...

I don't care, of course, but maybe I can help the discussion with my own perspective. The blocking assignment on that sack makes me want to punch Eric Schottenheimer in his scrawny little face, but if it helps your voting, that might be one of the first times I've seen a sack at the five minute mark essentially end the game. 20-yard loss. Clock runs. Ball marked at the 5 yard line. The only thing I could do on that play is curse the Jets coaches for putting Leon Washington on Adalius Thomas and yell about how the whistle should have blown when Favre was in the grasp at the 15.

LOL, same thing i thought in our latest sb...

not sure if its best ever , but i have never watched replays of a sack as many times as i have of this one................the way AD manhandled the two players,it seemed like a total mismatch rofl..............

Vrabel's tomahawk chop on Jake Dellhome in SB 38 was pretty good.

I was thinking torn labrum the moment that happended. Unfortunately, it made Delhome throw for 300 more yards!

In terms of pure aesthetic quality, I'd have to put it right at the top. In terms of overall importance, I think it's up there... I'd say the most important sack is a tie between two Willie jobs... (1) Super Bowl XXXVI, sacking Warner on the second to last drive, atoning for his hold on Marshall Faulk that negated Tebucky Jones' fumble recovery and (2) 2004 Home Opener vs. Indy, sacking Peyton Manning, pushing Vandershank out of range, helping propel the Pats to a two seed, and getting Indy at home after a bye week in the Divisional Round...

I thought the 2004 Home Opener sack was by Harrison on the blitz? Do you recall the specifics?

McGinist on Manning to push back a FG attempt that Vanderjerk missed.

It was a great sack and one of the Pats best ever although our old boy McGinest had his share of great hits as well

Big Willie :) He 's definitely had his share. Fond memories for sure!

No I think the best sack was by Tippet back about 20 years ago. We were playing Pittsburgh. Tippet can around the RT side were there was a running back waiting to block him,Tippet literally picked the RB up of the ground and threw him into the steeler qb to disrupt the pass,then took down the both the rb and the qb. And i mean took them down hard. Yesterday Favre was running away when he was sacked not so in the Pitt game,it was head on.

Is AD's sack the only "two-fer" ever? Of all the ones I can remember at least, his is the only one shot,two kills I think? Major points for that :p

It was so good that he should be credited with one sack and one tackle for loss. It was on replay that I saw that he didn't so much push the running back into Favre as take the RB with him into Favre.

It's up there with:

1. Ken O'Brien running for his life from Garin Veris, then turning right into Tippett for a monster collision in the '85 postseason.

2. The McGinest/Seymour sack of Kurt Warner in SB36 that pushed the Rams out of FG range. One of the underrated plays of that game.

3. McGinest's sack of Manning in the '04 opener that forced the long FG that Vandershank missed that won the game for NE.

Regards,
Chris

Don't see it linked anywhere else, so here's a gif of that play:

http://i33.tinypic.com/seni10.gif
What I love about the play is that Washington didn't give up on his blocking assignment despite botching it miserably. If we could see a cartoon thought bubble over his head during the play, it probably would be something like:

"F*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f*** f***...[sack]...F***!!!"

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing