PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vrabel traded to KC, compensation still unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vrabel traded to KC

Unless you are getting a better alternative for him, this trade makes no sense.....and no offense, Woods and Crable 'aint it. Serioulsy, the man was the mike, played outside and inside and was a veteran leader. He was one of the most verstaile players on defense - next to Thomas. So, who are we getting to REPLACE him? And please, do not say Woods and Crable. Give me a break.

Do you know how long it took for Thomas to become a full-time starter for the Ravens? 3 years. So why couldn't Woods or Crable be the replacement? You seem to not understand that what made the Pats pass rush effective was their ability to rush from any of the 4 LB positions. NOT just the OLBs. With Mayo on a tight leash last year and Bruschi's skills clearly in decline, it made the offense's job pretty easy. They only had to worry about the OLBs.

Until Bruschi is replaced full time or the leash is taken off of Mayo, the Pats will continue to have problems with the Pass Rush.

I refuse to believe that's their plan; it doesn't make sense for either side. If they're going to keep him, I'm all but sure they'll extend his contract to get salary cap relief.

Okay fair enough, maybe not $14+ million, but maybe $6-7 or whatever number they arrive at?

Let me be clear, I hope they trade Cassel. But I'm uneasy. Plus, Vrabel was one of my favorites.

Woods wont be starting. He is only good in some packages and thats why they resigned him. I expect a big splash of a player to replace Vrabel. Patriots have something brewing and just waiting to see what will happen!! What an offseason!!

They haven't re-signed Woods yet. They put a 2nd round RFA tender on him..

I think this means the Pats like a lot of the OLB options that will be on board at #23 and opted to get value out of Vrable rather than have a rookie have to sit behind him & AD.

way too risky IMO. but if it means #3 for Cassel then maybe

relax. a 5th round compensation is more than fair. vrabel is on the flip side of his career and his cap number was exorbinant based on his on-field ability. its a fine trade. we dont need gonzalez. we need cap space and good, young players.

I agree with you on the Pats needing to get younger and get some cap space. It is just out of the norm in Bill's MO. Irrespective of their age, he places high priority in smart, versatile players. He can't seem to get enough of them. So trading a player of Vrabel's worth to Bill's idea of a good football player is headscratching especially we do not get high return. I don't know. I trust Bill, but this has me scratching my head.

The only thing I could think about is that we have someone coming in that can fill his role (Peppers?).

Do you know how long it took for Thomas to become a full-time starter for the Ravens? 3 years. So why couldn't Woods or Crable be the replacement? You seem to not understand that what made the Pats pass rush effective was their ability to rush from any of the 4 LB positions. NOT just the OLBs. With Mayo on a tight leash last year and Bruschi's skills clearly in decline, it made the offense's job pretty easy. They only had to worry about the OLBs.

Until Bruschi is replaced full time or the leash is taken off of Mayo, the Pats will continue to have problems with the Pass Rush.

you have a point DB......but woods? crable? neither even is even close to the physical ability of thomas.......I can't' see the analogy there

I sincerely doubt that part of the master plan includes plugging one of these 2 as starter.........

I believe a replacement is already in the plans

I agree with you on the Pats needing to get younger and get some cap space. It is just out of the norm in Bill's MO. Irrespective of their age, he places high priority in smart, versatile players. He can't seem to get enough of them. So trading a player of Vrabel's worth to Bill's idea of a good football player is headscratching especially we do not get high return. I don't know. I trust Bill, but this has me scratching my head.

The only thing I could think about is that we have someone coming in that can fill his role (Peppers?).

You have a point, but there comes a point of diminishing returns where smarts can't make up for losing a step, or inability to get around the edge.

BTW, the guys on WEEI think this is a precursor of Cassel to the Chiefs for potentially the #3 pick.

Already, so much for the [extremely silly] theory that the Pats and Chiefs wouldn't be doing business because of the appearance of some sort of Belichick/Pioli collusion, or that Pioli wouldn't be seen as sufficiently "stepping out of BB's shadow" if he made a play for Cassel.

1) First, the deal needed to get done today or his roster bonus would be due tomorrow.
2) It was time for the team to assess the future of Vrabel. The choices were to extend or to trade Vrabel. The team chose to trade him. Perhaps they couldn't come to terms.
3) I agree that Pioli wanted a veteran that he could trust in the locker room as Romeo did.
4) Going forward, there are at least two options, one or both could happen.
OPTION 1: Belichick is reasonably sure that he can get a solid LB on Day One of the draft.
OPTION 2: Belichick is in the middle of a deal with a linebacker.
5) The team needs the cap space. As noted above this could have been done with an extension, but it did need to be done. The team has obviously has decided to be active in free agency.
6) The team does not want to be forced to rush any deal for Cassel. Freeing up cap space buys them time if they need it.
7) Jarvis Green is NOT affected or in a similar position. With Wright gone and Seymour in his contract year, we need to extend Green. However, cutting him with no alternative and being down TWO defensive ends is NOT an option.
8) Bruschi may or may not be worried. He is a bit safer since he plays inside, costs less, and can continue to work with Mayo and Guyton. His role can continue to decrease, as Guyton's increases. To me, there is no reason to create a hole.

A team with major Super Bowl aspirations does not trade away a player like Vrabel in order to replace him with Pierre Woods. That's just not possible.

There HAS to be another outside linebacker coming back from somewhere. And I'm assuming it has to be via trade. The Pats might have a history of letting important free agents walk without havin a replacement ready -- I'm thinking of Ted Washington and Asante and guys like that -- but there's absolutely no history of them TRADING AWAY a productive starter at a position of need without having a plan in place. So there has to be another shoe dropping.

relax. a 5th round compensation is more than fair. vrabel is on the flip side of his career and his cap number was exorbinant based on his on-field ability. its a fine trade. we dont need gonzalez. we need cap space and good, young players.

bingo, he's got bingo

This was a cap move. Pioli obv knew we weren't in love with what he was costing us, and wanted first dibs, and helped out his old boss in the process.

Remember, in order to take two steps forward you must first take one step back.

Everyone keeps saying "get younger and faster on defense". Here you go. I'll miss Vrabel for sure but NFL fans have to get used to players moving on.

Exactly, can't get younger (as EVERYONE says they want to do) without cutting or trading some older guys.

Can't have it both ways.

Vrabel is one of my favorite players and I wish him the best of luck in KC.

I suspect either of the following.....

- either a deal with another team for another player is in the works (cassel for peppers)

- or there is an agreement between the pats and the chiefs to trade cassel for the #3 if curry is available

Business is Business. Pioli left on great terms with the Patriots!! He knows the players of the Patriots so he is comfortable bringing in players he knows can make a difference. Hes not in BB's shadow, but it makes sense what Pioli is doing!! We get younger at D and KC gets some leadership on a young KC team.

What! Why?!?!

Ungeheuer;1295520but there's absolutely no history of them TRADING AWAY a productive starter at a position of need without having a plan in place. [/QUOTE said:
I don't consider Vrable to really be a productive starter for next year. He was borderline this year.

you have a point DB......but woods? crable? neither even is even close to the physical ability of thomas.......I can't' see the analogy there

I sincerely doubt that part of the master plan includes plugging one of these 2 as starter.........

I believe a replacement is already in the plans

I don't claim to know what the plan is. However, I think that Woods and Crable both have very good physical skills. They aren't exactly the same as Thomas', but that doesn't mean they aren't close.

And I want to harp on the point that the Pats Pass Rush was BEST when they could rush from all 4 LB positions. Not just two of them. Go back to 2003 and 2004 and you'll see what I mean. 21.5 sacks from the LBers in 2003 and 41 total. 26.5 in 2004 and 45 total. Yes, the OLBs had the most, but the fact that the Pats could effectively rush the ILBs as well, helped that out.

Good time for a change for both Mike and the Pats.

WOW!!!

Thanks for everything Mike!

You're a class act and you'll always be considered a Patriot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back