PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Compensation if BB signs elsewhere??..

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Now that the BB era is done here it seems as though Mr. Kraft believes he will continue to coach. As he has resigned and no under contract can he sign with another team with or without compensation??
If there was compensation what might be the value??

Now that the BB era is done here it seems as though Mr. Kraft believes he will continue to coach. As he has resigned and no under contract can he sign with another team with or without compensation??
If there was compensation what might be the value??
depends, was BB officially terminated?

If yes, no compensation.

If he resigned, then yes.

200.gif

The compensation train leaving the station.

Yeah, it's quite unclear. I don't think there's really room for a "mutual parting", contractually speaking... Either he quits or he was fired. Can't be both.

If he quit then the team still owns his rights and would be owed draft compensation if he signed elsewhere.

If he was fired then the team still owes him $25M next year unless and until he signs with another team and they would get no draft compensation.

Only other avenue I can see is if they decided to void his contract entirely.

It was reported on Channel 5 that Kraft agreed there would be no compensation if BB goes to coach another team.

It was reported as if it was a decent thing to do.
I think it was stupid - if Jerruh or LAC or Atlanta wants BB bad enough, take a high-level pick from them - but whatever.

my guess is Kraft will be asked this when he takes questions later

Yeah, it's quite unclear. I don't think there's really room for a "mutual parting", contractually speaking... Either he quits or he was fired. Can't be both.

If he quit then the team still owns his rights and would be owed draft compensation if he signed elsewhere.

If he was fired then the team still owes him $25M next year unless and until he signs with another team and they would get no draft compensation.

Bingo.

It was reported on Channel 5 that Kraft agreed there would be no compensation if BB goes to coach another team.

I think it was stupid - if Jerruh or LAC or Atlanta wants BB bad enough, take a high-level pick from them - but whatever.
Yes- It was "stupid" from a business standpoint but was the right thing to do.

The coach has to agree to be traded. If he doesn’t play along, then the only two options are to keep him or fire him. A trade is hard to pull off.

Not according to the earlier report this morning:

"Belichick, who had one year remaining on his contract, will be allowed to leave the team without the Patriots seeking compensation."

Mutual parting most likely means no obligations on other side:
Fired: He gets his 2024 salary and can coach immediately (worst case for NE)
Quit: He gets no salary and can't coach b/c the Patriots still hold his rights (worst case for BB)
Mutual parting: They tore up his contract, so he doesn't get any money (helps NE) but can take another job right away (helps him).

Kraft doesn’t have a history of playing hardball, and folds like a cheap suit.

I think the price for “mutually agreed” is bb gets his 2024 salary and the team is due no compensation from his next employer.

The only other logical reason would be that bb’s choice will get the job.

Or he's appreciative of the 125 hours a week 11 months of the year for 24 years that BB gave for the team (along with an excellent compensation package). TomAto - Tomato.

^ This
The going price of both sides gracefully going out with heads held high. Anything less than showing Belichick the same freedom to move forward than Brady was given would be unseemly. Good business? Probably not... but some things transcend 'business' and one of them is doing the right thing.

Yes- It was "stupid" from a business standpoint but was the right thing to do.
Why was it the right thing to do?
A team that really wanted BB would make the trade. I don't understand the logic there. As I've said earlier, I expect BB to go to a team that's a coach/culture away from a real shot - Dallas or the Chargers, for example. Does a second or even a first round pick matter that much to a team that's confident BB will make a huge difference?

Why was it the right thing to do?
A team that really wanted BB would make the trade. I don't understand the logic there. As I've said earlier, I expect BB to go to a team that's a coach/culture away from a real shot - Dallas or the Chargers, for example. Does a second or even a first round pick matter that much to a team that's confident BB will make a huge difference?
Was not tagging Brady the right thing to do?

Same logic.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back