PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strange's situation may affect things this offseason, isn't expected to participate

Nobody crapped on your head. You grossly overreacted and now are blaming others for your emotions.
You and your ilk like to tell people how to think and how they should root for the team. Please return to your echo chamber.
I could turn that around to say that anyone who bitterly complains about the drafting of Cole Strange must be a major Bill hater.

We had the 21st pick. We traded down to 29 for a 3rd and a 4th, which all by itself was a good move. At 29 we picked Strange, who is a starting guard and will be for the remainder of his time here. When you land a starting G at 29, that's a good result, especially for an athlete like Strange whose RAS was like top 10 out of the past 500 OL drafted, and who our staff spent a solid week with at the Senior Bowl. There's very few guards that move like Strange, he's a quality player.

The ancient history about Thuney and Mason is just that. Thuney priced himself out of town at $14+m per year, which in today's dollars and cap would be at least $18-19m. Good bye Joe, no problem with that move. Both he and Mason were good players, but we got comp + cap relief so imo we did fine navigating through all that.

Strange may have hit the bench a couple of times in his rookie year, but last year he was battling an injury from training camp on, so you can attribute any bench time to that. And also not to mention that his rookie year was the disaster of Patricia, and last year was just as bad with the OL coach checking out of town.
So we shouldn't complain about trading back to take a mediocre player because your lord and savior, Bill Belichick, took said mediocre player?

Staring guards over the last few years:
Sidy Sow, 4th round
Mike Onwenu, 6th round
Joe Thuney, 3rd round
Ted Karras, 6th round
Shaq Mason, 4th round

So if we landed starting guards in the mid to late rounds, all of which who are/were better or equivalent to Cole Strange, then tell me why it is so good to land a starting guard at 29? Guard isn't a blue chip position. You can find quality guards in the middle part of the draft which is where we generally draft our starting guards outside of two guys in almost 25 years. This whole "He's a good player" thing is the same thing that happened with Sony Michel. We picked an average player in the first round but half the board wants to claim it was a good pick because he started games. Strange is average at best and for a first round pick at a position like guard he should be much better than average.

Not sure how Thuney and Mason are "ancient history" when the way the end of their time here was handled is the reason Bill drafted Strange. I get not wanting to pay a guard big money especially when they already paid Mason on a pretty big deal. What I don't get is the incredibly stupid decision to franchise Thuney in a lost year to cost ourselves a third round comp pick due to Bill's spending spree in free agency the next year. If Bill let Thuney walk after 2019 we get a third round comp pick and save $14 million dollars. So no, we didn't get any real compensation outside of the 5th rounder we got back for Mason. Throw in trading away Mason and then making an offer to Karras only to lower that offer when Cincy offered more than Bill's original offer to Karras and there is a complete bungling of the guard spot that directly ties to Strange.

Okay. I guess we get to make excuses for why our first round guard got benched multiple times in his rookie year. I love that one of your excuses is Bill compounding his mistakes. Taking an average player to fill a hole he created through his own roster mismanagement only to have that player coached by bad coaches he hired. So when Strange sucks this year is it because he hurt his knee and missed time over the summer or is it just because a previously average player suffered a major injury and now is even worse than average? Or will it just be more unfortunate luck for Mr. Strange?

You and your ilk like to tell people how to think and how they should root for the team. Please return to your echo chamber.
And your ilk. Too funny. I have an "ilk".
So we shouldn't complain about trading back to take a mediocre player because your lord and savior, Bill Belichick, took said mediocre player?
You can complain about anything you like, but if someone disagrees with you that does not mean they are crapping on your head. If you have the right to complain, why don't others have the right to disagree without you getting upset?
Staring guards over the last few years:
Sidy Sow, 4th round
Mike Onwenu, 6th round
Joe Thuney, 3rd round
Ted Karras, 6th round
Shaq Mason, 4th round

So if we landed starting guards in the mid to late rounds, all of which who are/were better or equivalent to Cole Strange, then tell me why it is so good to land a starting guard at 29? Guard isn't a blue chip position. You can find quality guards in the middle part of the draft which is where we generally draft our starting guards outside of two guys in almost 25 years. This whole "He's a good player" thing is the same thing that happened with Sony Michel. We picked an average player in the first round but half the board wants to claim it was a good pick because he started games. Strange is average at best and for a first round pick at a position like guard he should be much better than average.

Not sure how Thuney and Mason are "ancient history" when the way the end of their time here was handled is the reason Bill drafted Strange. I get not wanting to pay a guard big money especially when they already paid Mason on a pretty big deal. What I don't get is the incredibly stupid decision to franchise Thuney in a lost year to cost ourselves a third round comp pick due to Bill's spending spree in free agency the next year. If Bill let Thuney walk after 2019 we get a third round comp pick and save $14 million dollars. So no, we didn't get any real compensation outside of the 5th rounder we got back for Mason. Throw in trading away Mason and then making an offer to Karras only to lower that offer when Cincy offered more than Bill's original offer to Karras and there is a complete bungling of the guard spot that directly ties to Strange.

Okay. I guess we get to make excuses for why our first round guard got benched multiple times in his rookie year. I love that one of your excuses is Bill compounding his mistakes. Taking an average player to fill a hole he created through his own roster mismanagement only to have that player coached by bad coaches he hired. So when Strange sucks this year is it because he hurt his knee and missed time over the summer or is it just because a previously average player suffered a major injury and now is even worse than average? Or will it just be more unfortunate luck for Mr. Strange?
A lot of what you say is correct, I think. But what I said is totally correct, no-one is crapping on your head if they disagree with you.

And your ilk. Too funny. I have an "ilk".

You can complain about anything you like, but if someone disagrees with you that does not mean they are crapping on your head. If you have the right to complain, why don't others have the right to disagree without you getting upset?

A lot of what you say is correct, I think. But what I said is totally correct, no-one is crapping on your head if they disagree with you.
Sorry I was unaware a 3 letter word was too much for you to comprehend.

You seem to misunderstand the "crapping on my head" reference as well. It isn't about getting crapped on or put down. It is about someone giving you something crappy and trying to make you think it's a gift.

Let's keep in mind that Strange played injured from the get go in 2023. Yes, his performance in 2023 was not great - as would be expected from playing injured all year. He probably should have gone on IR before the season began. Strange has since had his surgery and rehab, and should be ready for training camp.

The comment above is not a defense of BB or Strange's draft status; I didn't like the trade back or pick at all, then or now. But Sow and a healthy Strange should put make the guard position the best on the Pats offense (granted, that's not saying much at all). Draft another guard late to compete with Mafi as the primary backup G.

There are too many other positions on this roster that are screaming for an immense upgrade, for us to worry about the interior offensive line.

The player many posters wanted at that slot was McDuffie, who is a baller.
Reports are that the Chiefs were shocked that we were willing to trade out of 21. They rightfully had McDuffie pegged as mid first-rounder. So they got good value. Did we with Strange? The Rams think no. Probably most of the league thought this was a head-scratcher.

Anyway, we should have made a bid for Ryan Bates in the off-season after Karras left. The Bears did, but Buffalo matched. He’s now been traded to the Bears for a fifth-rounder.

I’m fine rolling with Sow and Mafi at guards.
The new regime if it’s better than the old will swap them. Mafi will continue to struggle at LG, but has the makings of a decent RG. Sow is probably a better option to start the season at LG, which he played most of his six years at Eastern Michigan. Strange will need to be fully recovered, strengthened, and in decent shape. That could be by October.

Sorry I was unaware a 3 letter word was too much for you to comprehend.

You seem to misunderstand the "crapping on my head" reference as well. It isn't about getting crapped on or put down. It is about someone giving you something crappy and trying to make you think it's a gift.

No-one on PatsFans is giving you a gift. If someone disagrees, it is not crapping on you or giving you a gift. It simply their opinion, right or wrong, just like you can be right or wrong. Simply an Internet message baord, you are way over thinking it.

No-one on PatsFans is giving you a gift. If someone disagrees, it is not crapping on you or giving you a gift. It simply their opinion, right or wrong, just like you can be right or wrong. Simply an Internet message baord, you are way over thinking it.
Your lack of reading comprehension really is astounding.

I said it when the pick was made and it turned out to be true. This pick was the end of the line for BB.

It was indefensible then, and it atrocious now.
Until proven otherwise, he's a bust.

OK dude. You are amazing. Everyone else is an idiot. :rolleyes:
Not Bad Kind Of GIF by MOODMAN

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft