PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vinatieri Signs With Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow..........any team but the colts.... :bricks:

I am completely beside myself. Of all the fricken teams and he goes to the Colts???? The fricken COLTS???? I agree that this is a great big FU to Bill Belichick!

The only other athlete leaving that comes remotely close to this is when Roger Clemens left for the Blue Jays. And I DON"T want to hear any baseball BS from anyone!

I feel devistated, betrayed, sold out and gut kicked! Not only is Adam say FU to BB he is saying FU to us as well!

Does this make sense? What happened to Vanderjerk? Besides, Adam only had a fairly average year last season. Is it possible that BB did not make him a good offer at all? If so, that might explain why Adam has no compunction about joining the Dolts.

Well, this offseason continues to prove to me why I hate the offseason.

This makes me sick. A lot of people here are saying "He is just a kicker." Yes, he is just a kicker, but kickers play a very important role in practically every football game, especially during a time of parody where games tend to be much tighter. I know people here hate baseball discussion, so I won't do that. I hope none of you are offended by college football discussion though. Being an FSU student, I think that clutch kickers are one of the most valuable assets to any team (see every fsu vs. miami game and the 2006 Orange Bowl). This really sucks and the last thing I want on the Pats is Vanderjerk. Is there some kicker in the draft that we could pick up that would be somewhat decent. I know the Ohio State, Memphis, and Texas kickers are pretty good, but I don't know if they're NFL caliber. IMO anything is better than vandershank.

A sell out just like Johnny Damon. Enjoy hocking Cow Chips and Dominos Pizza.

Miguel said:
I hate to be right. But I thought all along that Adam would end up a Colt.
Miguel...why did you think Indy??? Just curious..I know Vanderjagt was history..but what made you think he would end up there??? The dome..and Polien's wanting to get a Bowl for PM??? And to just give it to the Patriots again?? Just curious...you were right on the money...(sorry..I wished you were wrong..and I think you do as well..but..to me it is one of the few places I didn't want him to go to...) Congrats though!!!

Willie55 said:
Any team but the Colts. WTF!! I would have rooted for Adam if he had signed with any other team. Now I hope he misses every kick.
That is EXACTLY how I feel, too.

Patters said:
Does this make sense? What happened to Vanderjerk? Besides, Adam only had a fairly average year last season. Is it possible that BB did not make him a good offer at all? If so, that might explain why Adam has no compunction about joining the Dolts.
The Patriots offered him a contract which would have made him the highest paid kicker in the NFL but he turned it away for 500 k more and selling us out. What a **** head. I understand hes the best in the league but he friggin betrayed us and that really does hurt.

It'll have a 100,000 by Friday.

well

Someone should have told AV to call up Johnny Damon and ask him if the grass is really greener with the sworn enemy! All we hear from damon is excuses why he did it, when we all know that he now realizes he made a mistake! :bricks:

Something rotten in Foxboro?

Why the max exodus of Pat's vets? I know they are leaving for more $$, but it seems the Pats were able to convince these same players to stay for less money in the past. Why has this changed? Could BB be looking to leave soon?

Pats#12 said:
Why the max exodus of Pat's vets? I know they are leaving for more $$, but it seems the Pats were able to convince these same players to stay for less money in the past. Why has this changed? Could BB be looking to leave soon?

Get friggin real.

getting "friggin real"

first, lose the f'in attitude buddy. So you think he's here for the long haul? I hope so. It just strange that they would let such an important and clutch players leave here.

Hmmm, well at least we now know where AV was, will be, whatever.

G/L Adam, hope it will be worth it, you lost alot of fans.

This is an interesting over reaction by the Colts.?

Do they really think AV, by himself, will solve thier choke problem, are they going to keep him under rapps untill the play offs when they need that 1 kick.?

What do you think will happen when he misses that first semi-clutch kick in an important game. We have survived those missed kicks as a team and fans, will the Colts and thier fans? This will be an interesting story to follow.

I've been following the Pats too long to get upset with a rebuilding program that most think unwarranted. I say get it done while Brady is young.

Pats726 said:
Miguel...why did you think Indy??? Just curious..I know Vanderjagt was history..but what made you think he would end up there??? The dome..and Polien's wanting to get a Bowl for PM??? And to just give it to the Patriots again?? Just curious...you were right on the money...(sorry..I wished you were wrong..and I think you do as well..but..to me it is one of the few places I didn't want him to go to...) Congrats though!!!

Miguel was not the only one who foresaw this - I predicted from the start of FA that it would come down to Dallas or Indy (and that people should ponder that), that Adam would have no real interest in kicking in GB and that it would not be that hard to beat what the Patriots reportedly offered - because a highest paid deal with no signing bonus or guaranteed money was essentially a deal for NOTHING (not to mention a slap in the players face).

Both Dallas and Indy were eerily quiet from the outset but I figured one of them would eventually emerge. They were waiting to see what ii would take and gauge his resolve (and BB's). Dallas obviously got caught up in signing TO.

Turns out Adam shared an agent for all these years with BB. When he was suspended Adam chose to stay with that agency although another agent had to handle him. Obviously this guy was either incompetent or for some reason preferred the market for this player remain oddly muted. When Adam fired him I figured it was because somebody got word to Adam that there was untapped interest in him despite what he was being told. The logical conduit was probably via Willie since the new agent is his as well.

It made sense on so many levels that Polian would covet Adam (or that the 3 games lost that kept Dallas from a 12 win season and the playoffs would drive Jerry to covet him). Polian's idiot kicker (ultimately) cost him HFA in 2004 and likely a Superbowl in 2005. He was accurate, just not clutch or well liked. In that offense, Polian only needs clutch. Polian can't afford to pay everybody - but he believes if he overpays a select few on offense they will win. He needs a RB and a PK. He's been pretty lucky picking RB's (Faulk, James). He got exposed a tad to Colts fans when the Manning and Harrison deals finally caused a problem in an expiring CBA. He needs a little bump, and what better way than replacing the idiot kicker his fans love to hate? And the bonus is your fans realize you have hurt their arch enemy in the process.

This was a no brainer. Just took a little longer than anyone imagined to develop. The only way you don't see this potential outcome is if you have become too arrogant to consider the consequences anything more than a bump in the road. Somehow though once you hit the bump reality sets in in a hurry. They created a serious hole where none need exist, in a market now devoid of plausible alternatives (Longwell was about it), and you've allowed one of two main division rivals to fill a gaping hole that has haunted them for two years in a row.

This also doesn't bode well for a Seymour deal unless BB is prepared to make him the BB Patriots first exception to the apparently cast in stone no highest paid rule.

Pats726 said:

1.) I knew that the Colts would lose the Edge this year.
2.) What would be the best PR move to counter Edge's loss??- The signing of an integral part of your conference nemesis - the Patriots.
3.) Adam is an upgrade over Vanderjagt. I did not see one ranking of FA kickers that did not have Adam rated higher than Vanderjagt.
4.) The move made too much sense for the Colts not to happen.
5.) Adam's 2006 cap number will be less than Vanderjagt's 2005 cap number of $2,873,500 so the Colts will be able to spend more money on the other 52 players.
6.) I had a gut feeling that Adam was not going to wait for the Pats to make the best offer.
7.) The Colts got better at the kicker position. The Pats just got worse at the kicker position.

BTW, I don't want to see the Pats keep a key player untill PAST thier prime, it does the team no good, and costs too much money that can be spent signing say another undrafted nugget.

This off season, to me, is shapping up to be a nail bitter, won't know what to think untill game 7 of the regular season. So guys hang tough, I'm going to. :D

well this sucks. I think we should sign Vanderjagt now, true its a downgrade but hes still a top 10 kicker in this league.

And remember, Mason Crosby (Colorado Buffalo kicker) is a senior this year and will be available in next years draft. And this guy has a better leg probably any kicker playing in the NFL right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back