PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law shares what he thinks Patriots should do with No. 3 pick

For those in love with taking a OT here's the history of the first tackle taken since the 2018 NFL Draft
2018- Mike McGlinchey (pick 9 on his second team)
2019- Jonah Williams(pick 13 solid starter nothing spectacular)
2020- Andrew Thomas(pick 4 signed an extension great pick for Giants)
2021-Penei Sewell(pick 7 another home run pick)
2022 and 2023 is too early to tell
So I wouldn't be opposed in drafting Alt at 3 if you don't love a QB besides McGlinchey
Williams/Thomas/Sewell have all been great picks
McGlinchey has not been a great pick. There's a reason he was let go. And his new team was underwhelmed especially for a $87.5m contract. He gave up a lot of sacks this year

If Harrison is there at 3, call up Arizona and bluffing. Tell them they can have him for #4 and a 2nd rounder. If not we’re taking him. I would probably still take the Daniels/Maye. But still try and squeeze something from them.

Why am I nervous about QBs who aren't Caleb Williams?

Watch this video of J Daniels: https://twitter.com/search?q=Jerry Thornton Daniels&src=typed_query

Look at the arc on the throws, sometimes the wobble on the ball, the fact that many are jump balls, that the ball gets there just as a defender is closing, and then try to imagine these throws in the NFL. Imagine what an NFL CB would do covering these WRs. These throws are all INTs in the pros.

Now Daniels looks incredible running the ball, but given his slight build, I'd be worried that he'll get hurt doing this.

I am definitely nervous about taking Daniels. If some team wants to trade up for him by giving the kind of haul (or even half of it) that SF gave up for Trey Lance, then I'm highly inclined to take it, as long as I don't drop out of the top 9 (other players to take when I drop in the top 9: Harrison, Nabers, Bowers, Fashanu, Alt, Odunze).

McGlinchey has not been a great pick. There's a reason he was let go. And his new team was underwhelmed especially for a $87.5m contract. He gave up a lot of sacks this year
Yep besides him the others have been a home run

Well it's so tough to know. However JDs just checks all the boxes you'd want in that player.

he's closer than williams and maye based on what i've seen, which isn't a ton

durability concerns me there though.......everything else i like

Yeah.. I've heard that as well. JD is more of the prototype of what the QB position is today, not only being able to throw from the pocket but, able to break outside, Ad lib when whenever plays break down. CJ stroud is the reason his team is hosting a playoff game for example!

Tua was 5th, Herbert was 4th, Mahomes was 10th. Finding a QB outside R1 is very rare, finding a QB outside #1 and #2 picks is not rare.
I happened to be looking at HOF QBs the other day and noticed that many were picked after the first round, about 12. And of those about 50 non-HOF QBs were taken ahead of them.

Of the 30 or so total HOF QBs that I looked at there were 6 that were the #1 pick and 2 more who were later in the 1st round but still the top QB taken.

There's also a pretty large group of QBs who were the #1 pick and didn't make it. There's about 30 of those, not including the current crop of QBs.

The current group of QBs are in a separate place and it's TBD how they stand. I'm not into the draft but I bet the choices everyone made before the draft are a hell of a lot different now. Even with the current players you listed above the best choice was the 3rd QB taken.

I decided to watch my first college games in about 20 years, maybe 30. I watched the semis and the finals and didn't see much to write home about at QB for any of the 4 teams.

I decided to watch my first college games in about 20 years, maybe 30. I watched the semis and the finals and didn't see much to write home about at QB for any of the 4 teams.

for some reason the Michigan kid peaks my interest, but mostly for the intangibles......but that lightning has already struck

the trepidation is recency bias - 2021 was a 'loaded' QB class......1st 3 picks were QB, and 2 & 3 were total failures, and Lawrence looks like a JAG (pun intended).....two other QBs were forced into the top 15 because of need, and they are also busts.....although more so than wilson, fields & mac might be salvageable in some sense.....

i'll be interested this offseason to see if someone makes a run at davis mills.......

Top three guys have way higher ceilings than Jones.

How did the QBs picked ahead of Jones do? Lawrence has receivers and RBs, yet he looks wildly inconsistent and inaccurate. Bears got Fields DJ Moore who delivered 96 catches, over 1300 yards and 8 TDs yet Fields still look like crap. Trey had a superteam, a genius offensive HC, yet they got rid of him immediately.

QBs are more likely to be a bust. Get an OL who is a lower risk and a need unless Caleb drops to us and they think he's a can't miss prospect. Maye, Penix, Daniels, all look like they are more likely to be busts. Taking them at #3 would be such a Jets move.

Agree completely. And given that you should be able to get a great LT prospect by trading from #35 back up into the second half of the first round you can really address the 2 biggest needs on Day One of the Draft. Then focus on WR in free agency, and with the rest of the Draft. Also, given the $$$ they have for free agency they could address depth and other needs n free agency, and instead of using the draft to fill a bunch of holes, trade picks, as with the OT in the first round, to get back into the 2nd round for a high quality receiving prospect.Examples : Coleman, Polk, Egbuka.

Come away with QB/Daniels, OT/Guyton/ WR Polk
The good news is the the needs of the Pats are in line with expectedly deep position classes: QB, LT, and WR.

The bad news is that it’s still a crapshoot (although I’d be shocked to see Alt or MHJ bust).

There's no guarantee that any QB will make it no matter where he's picked. History has proven that.
That combined with the amount of holes on the Pats has me wanting them to trade back to get more picks.
Then if Bill isn't involved in the draft they'd have a better chance to rebuild.
There’s no guarantee any position player will make it. There are at least 3 extremely dynamic QBs available for us with a top 3 pick. We desperately need a QB. You take the QB, control him for 5 years minimum & build around them. No need to try and outsmart ourselves.

And if he is not legit??? 3 to 5 years of BS.

Sign Cousins or Garropolo or another, and then we have a chance. Draft two tackles with Onwenu, Andrews, Strange, Sow, Mafi, and Andrews on the inside and we have both a passing and running game.
Cousins is fine. Garrapolo…you can’t be serious. You might as well draft Penix Jr…

I wonder if those of you who are skeptical (understandably) regarding drafting a QB with the top pick have thoroughly watched film each of Williams, Maye or Daniels. If so, your reluctancy/optimism is well warranted. If you haven’t, why bother commenting..?..

I think the 49ers are the exception but all the other playoff teams have a legit QB. As a fan given the choice give me the QB. Teams have searched for years trying to find a franchise guy. You can always get a good wide receiver in free agency. A franchise QB that's very rare.
The amount of people in here that discredit Purdy after spending 20 years of people getting mad at people calling Brady a system QB is ironic.

You’d think us of all people would know better.

I wonder if those of you who are skeptical (understandably) regarding drafting a QB with the top pick have thoroughly watched film each of Williams, Maye or Daniels. If so, your reluctancy/optimism is well warranted. If you haven’t, why bother commenting..?..

I mean sure, but then almost no one here should be talking. Let's just close the forum down and let three people have a real nice chat, eh?

Also, there are 32 front offices that get paid A LOT of money and do A LOT more research than anyone on here, and even they get it wrong quite often. This conversation right now is about philosophy more than specific players I think.

Cousins is fine. Garrapolo…you can’t be serious. You might as well draft Penix Jr…

JimmyG will be so cheap we will be able to afford Cousins and JimmyG ;) :rofl:

We are in a rebuild. Losing picks to trade up is not the way to go. We need a lot of draft picks, and hit on them, to get back. IMO trading away picks in a rebuild situation is silly.

Disagree. The defense is championship caliber, and their depth overall is solid. If they get their QB and Ot in the 1st round, and then move up for a high value WR in the second round they can use free agency to address remaining needs.

Hopfeully the Patriots are not drafting this high for a very long time. The last time they drafted this high was Drew Bledsoe in 1993.

It's been 30 years.

You have to take a QB -- if you believe the ones who are still there are the right guys.

If you're 50/50 on it and think he could be another Mac, possibly, then I'd take Harrison.

But Williams is your Pro Bowl franchise QB in this draft, he does unbelievable things out there. He scans the field and can see it all. If he's there, you definitely take him.

We need an LT. But... a QB makes your offensive line more than is given credit here. A QB who can threaten the boundary allows the offense to spread and prervents defenders from bunching up. The middle of the field isn't clogged either. In both pass blocking and in the running game, a QB who threatens you on every part of the field helps the OL look stellar.

We have already invested an incredible amount of draft resources on the OL and if we sign Onwenu, we only need a LT. Between Andrews x2, Onwenu, Sow and Strange, and hopefully a 2nd round LT, that could be one of the best OLs in the league if the QB is the type to threaten the defense.

So for me, QB unless you don't believe in the guy, and at that point, Harrison.
Well except after they picked Drew #1 in '93, they picked Willie #4 in '94.....that was the last time they picked in the top 5.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back