PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law shares what he thinks Patriots should do with No. 3 pick

I think the 49ers are the exception but all the other playoff teams have a legit QB. As a fan given the choice give me the QB. Teams have searched for years trying to find a franchise guy. You can always get a good wide receiver in free agency. A franchise QB that's very rare.

is there a franchise QB in the first round, though?

i'm not convinced

I wouldn’t be mad with mhj jr. Wr1 is another incredibly sparce fill. And he may be the more sure thing. As long as its him or one of the qbs

If MHJ is still there, then it's almost certain that two QBs are off the table. Not sure how much BB, assuming he's still there, likes a Caleb Williams or a Jayden Daniels, but Drake Maye seems to fit his style to a tee (I see him as another Josh Allen, with the same flaws, though, and that means turnovers).
So if one of the top three they like are gone, then heck yes, take MHJ (or one of the two top LTs, which are both considered blue chip prospects).

I'd still go out and get Russell Wilson, by the way, and try to bring in Jeudy, as well. They have the money, and Russ can still play at a high level. 26-8 TD-Int? Yes, please.

With Jeudy on one side, MHJ on the other, and Pop in the slot...Rham and hopefully Zeke behind him? Henry at TE?
Yes, please. That's an offense that will get you some points.

I'd still go out and get Russell Wilson, by the way, and try to bring in Jeudy, as well. They have the money, and Russ can still play at a high level. 26-8 TD-Int? Yes, please.
Did you happen to watch Russell Wilson play at all this year? It is an extreme case of the stats not matching what happened on the field.

Take MHJ and suck for at least 2 more years, maybe 4 more years.

No thank you.

Who is throwing the ball and who is protecting the qb? Fundamental shiznit

If MHJ is still there, then it's almost certain that two QBs are off the table. Not sure how much BB, assuming he's still there, likes a Caleb Williams or a Jayden Daniels, but Drake Maye seems to fit his style to a tee (I see him as another Josh Allen, with the same flaws, though, and that means turnovers).
So if one of the top three they like are gone, then heck yes, take MHJ (or one of the two top LTs, which are both considered blue chip prospects).

With Jeudy on one side, MHJ on the other, and Pop in the slot...Rham and hopefully Zeke behind him? Henry at TE?
Yes, please. That's an offense that will get you some points.
And the Qb on his back

I think it could go either way. To use Madden-style grades for an analogy: if MHJ is a 96 and the best QB available is a 93, I'd go with the QB. If the best QB is an 83, MHJ looks a lot more attractive. (And dear God, I have no idea what I'd do if I Alt/Fashanu were at 95.)

Take MHJ and suck for at least 2 more years, maybe 4 more years.

No thank you.

Who is throwing the ball and who is protecting the qb? Fundamental shiznit
What makes you think there will be a third QB sitting there who will change your scenario? QB is the easiest bust pick to make.

Did you happen to watch Russell Wilson play at all this year? It is an extreme case of the stats not matching what happened on the field.
I did indeed. Up and down, like the rest of the Denver year. He can still play.

I think the 49ers are the exception but all the other playoff teams have a legit QB. As a fan given the choice give me the QB. Teams have searched for years trying to find a franchise guy. You can always get a good wide receiver in free agency. A franchise QB that's very rare.
Well the 49ers went for a QB when they had the chance to draft one in 2021 #3 (and moved up to do that) even though they already had a QB on the roster who is far better that what the Pat’s have now. Yes, he was a bust but QB is so important you take the QB when you get the chance. They got lucky with Purdy, but the point is take the QB when you can.

I wouldn't take a QB at #3 unless you were in love with the guy. Taking a QB at #3 just because you have to take a QB high is recipe for disaster. Look at San Fran. They were lucky that they got Purdy to make up for the Lance disaster. Without Purdy, the Lance fiasco would have been a far bigger deal.

And we can look at the Jets too. Multiple times with them.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take a QB at #3 unless you were in love with the guy. Taking a QB at #3 just because you have to take a QB high is recipe for disaster. Look at San Fran. They were lucky that they got Purdy to make up for the Lance disaster. With Purdy, the Lance fiasco would have been a far bigger deal.

And we can look at the Jets too. Multiple times with them.
Alt is probably the smart pick at 3 in terms of a rebuild. Without an OL, offense will be limited.

To be honest, I might consider Joe Alt at 3 before MHJ (assuming the QB's the team likes are gone already). I don't like the idea of taking a QB just to take a QB. That has as much bust potential as anything.

And from what I've heard this WR class is DEEP. Like, to the point where the 7th WR taken this year probably would have been the first one off the board last year. There will be a very good WR at 34, or an even better one within striking distance for a trade back into the first round from 34.

Meanwhile, the league has a Great Depression level tackle shortage, and this team already needs three new ones if they don't re-sign Onwenu to play tackle (two starters and a swing).

If the "sure fire" QBs are gone by 3, take Alt there and make an aggressive move to snag one of the other WRs towards the end of the first. I think that sets your offense better than taking the WR (talented though he may be) and then just hoping you piece together a good enough line to give him time to run longer than a ten yard route.

This isn’t complicated. If you aren’t in love with the QB at 3 you take MHJ. One guy isn’t going to turn the entire line around. A top WR or QB will have a greater impact

One guy isn’t going to turn the entire line around.

No, but zero certainly isn't going to either. And the goal should not be to do whatever it takes to turn this around the fastest, it should be to turn it around in a way that is sustainable. It's a rebuild, not a renovation. And when you build something, you start with the foundation.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back