PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ty Law shares what he thinks Patriots should do with No. 3 pick

Disagree. The defense is championship caliber, and their depth overall is solid. If they get their QB and Ot in the 1st round, and then move up for a high value WR in the second round they can use free agency to address remaining needs.

Generally agree with this but the draft is such a crapshoot, we need as much picks as possible to spend on linemen.

Everybody's got an opinion

Not that that's a bad thing, it's what we do here

But at the end of the day, nobody really knows. But for those who job it is to make the right decision, just freaking make the right decision. Do your job

We need more gunners and special teamers.

I wonder who the odds on favorite is right now to end up best pick of the realistic landing spots and would not be surprised if its mhj at #3 by a margin. As much as id like jayden don’t think we should pass this up personally and tend to agree with ty. But itll all depend on how our staff feels about jayden or maye if Jayden goes first.

As
We are in a rebuild. Losing picks to trade up is not the way to go. We need a lot of draft picks, and hit on them, to get back. IMO trading away picks in a rebuild situation is silly.

I’m tired of the Patriots taking a passive approach to the draft, I would rather see them go aggressively after really good prospects than sit back and see what comes to them, and then, when their guy is gone, trade back for more picks. They are picking 3rd in the second round, it won’t take much to move up into the twenties to get a tackle like Guyton, who has a big upside. And if they see WR prospects on the board that they really like on day two them move aggressively to get one of them, and add another later.

They have plenty of money to fill holes in free agency, and most of their needs are on offense, so they really don’t need a complete rebuild so much as they need to fill some glaring holes with impact players. They have both the $$$ and the picks to get that done, and if they do it right they could be back in the playoffs next year. Whereas if they dontvwecc vs will see another season of the garbage we saw this season.

Generally agree with this but the draft is such a crapshoot, we need as much picks as possible to spend on linemen.

I don’t disagree that the stronger the OL the better, but the first round of this draft is really strong at OL, and the Patriots can get a starting LT in the 2nd half of the first round, and with Onwenu at RT, Strange and Sow at G, and Andrews at C then that should set their starters, but I have nothing against continuing to build it.

It’s too early too know how the first couple of rounds of the draft will go, but from what I can tell right now they should be able to fill their 3 biggest needs, QB, OT, WR in the first couple of rounds. There will still be more work to be done, but that would really improve them.

I wonder who the odds on favorite is right now to end up best pick of the realistic landing spots and would not be surprised if its mhj at #3 by a margin. As much as id like jayden don’t think we should pass this up personally and tend to agree with ty. But itll all depend on how our staff feels about jayden or maye if Jayden goes first.
There is no way someone will evaluate Daniels as higher than Williams. The throwing talent is night and day between the two.

As

I’m tired of the Patriots taking a passive approach to the draft, I would rather see them go aggressively after really good prospects than sit back and see what comes to them, and then, when their guy is gone, trade back for more picks. They are picking 3rd in the second round, it won’t take much to move up into the twenties to get a tackle like Guyton, who has a big upside. And if they see WR prospects on the board that they really like on day two them move aggressively to get one of them, and add another later.

They have plenty of money to fill holes in free agency, and most of their needs are on offense, so they really don’t need a complete rebuild so much as they need to fill some glaring holes with impact players. They have both the $$$ and the picks to get that done, and if they do it right they could be back in the playoffs next year. Whereas if they dontvwecc vs will see another season of the garbage we saw this season.

The draft is 50% or more busts. If we only pick 3 or 4 guys then that is only 1 or 2 players. The avergae success rate in the draft for a starter is 30%, so if we trade up and use our 7 picks to get 3 picks, we will end up with 1 or 2 impact players. That kind of approach, due to being tired with using the assigned picks, is NUTS in our situation.

If you have a lot of anxiety from being so tired of the Pats approach, you might seek help. And take @archstanton543 with you ;) :whistle:

The amount of people in here that discredit Purdy after spending 20 years of people getting mad at people calling Brady a system QB is ironic.

You’d think us of all people would know better.
Time will tell, that's the only proof we'll have.

As

Pats have the 2nd pick in round 2. Don't know how but they do.

Pats have the 2nd pick in round 2. Don't know how but they do.

I think if they are tied in record the team with the weaker strength of schedule gets the higher pick in the first round but they switch in the 2nd Rd. And they probably rotate throughout the draft, and same system would apply to more than 2 teams that are tied in W/L.

That said it just makes it that much easier to move up for an OT in the second half of the first round. And given the talent at OT in the first round of this draft the Patriots can come away fixing their 2 biggest needs, QB and OT on the first night of the Draft. They can package their 2&3 teams move up to the 23/24 area of the 1st round, and a really good OT should be there.
The draft is 50% or more busts. If we only pick 3 or 4 guys then that is only 1 or 2 players. The avergae success rate in the draft for a starter is 30%, so if we trade up and use our 7 picks to get 3 picks, we will end up with 1 or 2 impact players. That kind of approach, due to being tired with using the assigned picks, is NUTS in our situation.

If you have a lot of anxiety from being so tired of the Pats approach, you might seek help. And take @archstanton543 with you ;) :whistle:

I don’t have any anxiety about it, and that’s called projection, as you are the one worried about players making it. I’m for a more aggressive approach, and that’s not a sign of worry, it’s one of confidence they can get two really good starters at their two positions of greatest need. So, as you say, you should seek help for your football worries.

There is no way someone will evaluate Daniels as higher than Williams. The throwing talent is night and day between the two.

I meant jayden before maye. Pretty sure bears are talking caleb

Ty isn't wrong. History is not on your side of nailing the high pick at QB. Case in point the Bears in 2017 taking Trubisky for no reason over Watson and Mahomes. The 49ers trading up all that draft capital for a guy who barely played in college. Bryce Young in Carolina isn't looking too good. Teams passing on Allen in 2018. Tim Couch. Ryan Leaf at #2. JAMARCUS RUSSELL! The Titans taking Jake Locker with the 8th pick. Blaine Gabbert following at 10. Christian Ponder at 12. Jets trading up for Sanchez at FIVE! The list goes on.

As much as the Pats need a QB, don't talk yourself into a QB just because you need it. You'd be passing up a guy like Ty suggests in Harrison Jr.

MHJ is the best player in this draft. If he falls to us, probably have to take him. I'm for trading down for franchise LT. I am not impressed with these QBs. Williams is a lil guy who cries in his mommy's arms. Daniels looks thin and frail and Maye looks slow and not particularly good. This draft is complex. It all depends on whether or not MHJ falls to us, which is very unlikely.

And doing what with Fields?

I think they take Harrison.

Trading fields is what im hearing since week 18 concluded. Up until then i was hearing it pretty mixed between that and picking mhj but lately a few bears fans i know and mocks are thinking they take caleb and trade fields.

As

They are picking 3rd in the second round, it won’t take much to move up into the twenties to get a tackle like Guyton, who has a big upside.

Just a minor correction . They are picking 2nd in 2nd round. Number 34

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back